Starting Memoria Press with a 7th grader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Memoria Press with a 7th grader

I am looking to transition my 7th grader to Memoria Press for next school year and use some of the Memoria Press Online Academy classes. Is it best to start students out in the Classical Composition writing program from the very beginning Fable and Narrative? To give a little background...she has done one year of IEW in 4th grade with Classical Conversations and two years of the state virtual language arts classes in 5th and 6th grades. This student loves writing, but I struggle to get her to read fiction.

I'm looking at the following online classes:
    Pre-algebra
    Fable and Narrative
    7th grade literature
    First Form Latin

Should I purchase items separately or purchase the whole curriculum for 7th grade (substituting Latin and writing levels)? Do we need the curriculum manual if we are doing a different Latin and writing level and doing 4 subjects online? Does MP sell the guides separately for each subject?

I would love to give her a Christian Classical Education using Memoria Press. She wants to do Birds and Exploring the World of Biology or maybe Novare Physical Science. We would also do the Guerber US History, Spelling Workout, English Grammar Recitation, Famous Men of Greece, Greek Alphabet, Christian Studies, etc. Seems like a lot! Will we have time to go through all of these books?

Thanks for any advice for someone transitioning to MP, but not new to homeschooling!

Hello and welcome, Yura!

Answering your questions below...

Originally posted by Yura View Post
    I am looking to transition my 7th grader to Memoria Press for next school year and use some of the Memoria Press Online Academy classes. Is it best to start students out in the Classical Composition writing program from the very beginning Fable and Narrative? To give a little background...she has done one year of IEW in 4th grade with Classical Conversations and two years of the state virtual language arts classes in 5th and 6th grades. This student loves writing, but I struggle to get her to read fiction.

It is possible for students who are a bit older and who have had writing practice in other programs to begin with Narrative rather than Fable, but not any further than that. There is a foundation that is set within these two levels that is necessary for being able to complete later levels. If you started her in an MPOA writing class, there would be an option to combine Fable with Narrative, which is a great way to go (and which you have listed below in the classes you are considering). You can also do this at home by simply completing half of each book. MP DVD's you can use in place of a live class if that is more convenient. Any of these options would be suitable in your situation.

I'm looking at the following online classes:
    Pre-algebra
    Fable and Narrative
    7th grade literature
    First Form Latin

Should I purchase items separately or purchase the whole curriculum for 7th grade (substituting Latin and writing levels)? Do we need the curriculum manual if we are doing a different Latin and writing level and doing 4 subjects online? Does MP sell the guides separately for each subject?

When you purchase a complete grade level as a package, you do get a substantial discount from what you would pay to purchase each course separately. But since kids can be all over the place with their levels in different subjects, it is quite common to have to start with a grade level package, but change out different pieces of it to suit the needs of the child. As long as you put together enough courses to replicate a whole grade level, then you can still receive the package discount even though you put the "core" together yourself. This allows you to completely customize the curriculum to your child, while still receiving the monetary benefit offered of ordering a complete core. Whether you need the actual curriculum manual or not simply depends on how many courses from that original grade level your child will be doing. Sometimes it's worth it to get it, other times it's not. MP does offer Individual Lesson Plans for each subject so that you can make the adjustments you need and still have it planned out for you. If you have more than two or three of the core subjects from a grade level, it can be helpful to have the Curriculum Manual to work from as your base, and then the Individual Lesson Plans for those subjects that are not from that grade level. But if you have mostly MPOA classes, and then the rest covered with individual lesson plans, you could probably do without the Curriculum Manual. These sorts of adjustments tend to make it hard to put your package together through the website and still make sure you get a discount. Therefore you might want to call in your order and make sure you are including everything you need and whether or not it is enough to count as a core curriculum package deal.

I would love to give her a Christian Classical Education using Memoria Press. She wants to do Birds and Exploring the World of Biology or maybe Novare Physical Science. We would also do the Guerber US History, Spelling Workout, English Grammar Recitation, Famous Men of Greece, Greek Alphabet, Christian Studies, etc. Seems like a lot! Will we have time to go through all of these books?

This is where having the plans set forth by MP is so helpful, especially when you are coming from a different curriculum approach. MP does *look* like a lot because there are a lot of pieces involved in each course, and in the courses for each grade level. But once you begin a year with MP, you realize that it is well-planned to be enough, without going overboard. One of MP's most important maxims is "Multum non multa," which means "Much, not Many." In other words, go deep, not broad. You want your kids to relish the joy that comes from really knowing something in great detail, and having that knowledge become a part of who they are, but that is not possible if they are trying to do too much at one time. It is wonderful that your daughter has her own interests of what she would like to do, but what is important for you as the parent to do is to direct those interests in a manner that is most beneficial to her. So, to put it together yourself, a great way to go is to look at the curriculum packages, and imitate what is there. It is fine to switch out one science for another, or one literature novel for another, or even an entire grade level of literature for another. But what gets difficult is when you try to add entire subject groups in addition to what is already there. What you have listed thus far looks a lot like the 7th grade set...which is great. I would use that as your base, keep what is listed there as much as possible, or switch out with comparable things. You can call the office for more specific help with this, such as choosing the right spelling level or EGR level, etc. But especially since this is your first year with MP, try it out the way it is laid out at first, and then as you get more experience you can see how much more tailoring you want to do with it. Stick with things for which you can have it all planned for you so that you know how much is expected in each subject each day, and that will go a long way toward making sure you are achieving Multum, non Multa.

Thanks for any advice for someone transitioning to MP, but not new to homeschooling!
    Cheers!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 8
    DD, 6
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Sarah,

Thank you so much for the helpful response to my questions!

Yura

Comment

You’re welcome, and good luck!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

I wanted to add something about science choices, since those you mention are rather different books. I'm attaching an MP document guiding parents in rightly pairing math and science, and showing different paths forward. I hope it can help you decide. Feel free to search this forum well, to see what others may have said about the books you're considering. And there are talks about science from past conferences that you could watch too - here.
          Attached Files
          DS (14) and DD (13): MPOA and MP, mostly 8th grade
          DS (6): a mix of K resources, MP and not

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X