Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lorisuewho
    • Mar 2012

Help needed getting started with Latina Christiana

I did Prima last year with my daughter (who is finishing grade 4 but is a slow learner). She did really well with that program using the DVDs. For this coming year I bought the DVDs again for LC. Here are my questions:
    1. Are the recitations included on the DVD? If they are, should she watch the beginning of the lesson each day for the recitations?
    2. Are learning the songs/prayers incorporated into the DVD?
    3. Do the lesson plans for LC include using the DVD or would I need to modify?
    4. Is the History included in the LC plans?
    5. Is there a reason I should not do the 2 year plan with a 5th grader? We can include Latin into her schedule 4 days and often 5 days a week

Thank you for taking the time to help me plan.

PS Ignore my signature line. I need to figure out how to adjust it. It is very old!
    Last edited by lorisuewho; 05-28-2020, 04:57 PM.
    Lori (wife, mother and educator to four children)
    "To whom much is given, much more will be required." Luke 12:48b
  • pickandgrin
    • Jun 2012

Lori,
    I don't have good answers for you on this because it's been a while since we did LC in my home and my youngest is only in Prima this fall. But I did want to comment and thus bump your post back up so you get some responses.
    Best-
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'23-'24 • 14th year HSing • 12th year MP
    DS Hillsdale '26, English Major/Classics Minor
    DD 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE, Hillsdale '28
    DD 9th • HLN, Latin online, & Home
    DS 6th • HLN & Home
    Me • Lukeion Latin 3 online

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

"Most people overestimate what they can accomplish in one year and underestimate what they can accomplish in five." -Mrs. Cheryl Lowe

Comment

• enbateau
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by lorisuewho
      I did Prima last year with my daughter (who is finishing grade 4 but is a slow learner). She did really well with that program using the DVDs. For this coming year I bought the DVDs again for LC. Here are my questions:
      1. Are the recitations included on the DVD?

Yes. Each lesson begins with a Recitation up to the week they've learned in material.

If they are, should she watch the beginning of the lesson each day for the recitations?

Recitation is really short, even by mid year. I just do it myself each day, but some parents choose to have the kids watch the DVD daily. We didn't. I put the DVD on each Sunday or Monday, then I retaught the lesson to see that there was comprehension.

2. Are learning the songs/prayers incorporated into the DVD?

Songs are on the CD. They are optional. Prayers are routinely cycled back to in opening Recitation of the DVD.

3. Do the lesson plans for LC include using the DVD or would I need to modify?
      I did not see DVD in my plans, but it can either sub in for your Monday or daily Recitation and teaching.

4. Is the History included in the LC plans?

It was not in MP3, but it might be in the digital ones.

5. Is there a reason I should not do the 2 year plan with a 5th grader? We can include Latin into her schedule 4 days and often 5 days a week

Most 5th graders can handle a one-year pace, but you know your child best. Do what honors your knowlege of how she learns. I also believe there are Simply Classical lesson plans for Latin that might be a better fit for an out-of-the-box learner. Definitely look at those.

Thank you for taking the time to help me plan.

PS Ignore my signature line. I need to figure out how to adjust it. It is very old!
      I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. We just finished the latest LC this year.
      Mama of 2, teacher of 3 (Fourth Form Latin & Ref/Con)
      SY 23/24
      7A w/ First Form Greek
      4NU

Completed MPK, MP1*, MP2*, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A
      SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

• tanya
        MP Representative
        • Feb 2009

Sorry I missed this post. This morning is the first time I'm seeing it. (Michael used to keep me straight when I missed posts!) Enbateau has answered all your questions very well. I just wanted to add that where the lesson plans tell you to teach the lesson, that would be when you use the dvd instead of teaching the lesson yourself. They are interchangeable. And the history lessons are not on the dvds. We don't use those history lessons since we have a full-year course on Famous Men of Rome now. We left them in LC because some people are not following all our curriculum and want the history and Latin intermingled, but in our curriculum they are separate courses now.

Tanya

Comment

• lorisuewho
          • Mar 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all my questions! I really appreciate the help in figuring out what I'm doing.
          Lori
          Lori (wife, mother and educator to four children)
          "To whom much is given, much more will be required." Luke 12:48b

Comment

Working...