Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read alouds for 7th grade

Greetings,

Would anyone be interested in sharing readalouds for 7th grade? We have slowed on readalouds and audiobooks because upper middle school is tough from a reading level and content standpoint. Last year we enjoyed Oliver Twist, Across Five Aprils, and Animal Farm, among others, on audiobook. It's a great opportunity to stretch. I take the time to pause and look up vocabulary or discuss what is happening.
    I'm trying to compile a list for next year, and I'd be very interested in learning what others have done and enjoyed for this grade level (age 12).

Megan
    2020-2021
    DS 7A with Third Form, MPOA and at home, violin
    DD 5A, MPOA and at home, violin

At a virtual conference this spring, I heard Mr. Cothran recommend The Dog Who Wouldn’t Be by Farley Mowatt. We just finished it and loved it.
    Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 11 years

dd - 11th grade using MP
    ds - 9th grade using MP and Kolbe Academy

Comment

If you are doing the 7th grade American History then Johnny Tremain is a great addition.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 20, Physics major
      DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
      DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

What about Watership Down? We adore that book!
        Mr. Midshipman Hornblower is also great.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
        12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
        10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
        7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home
        Me: Third Form Summer Intensive MPOA

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I've added them to my list.

I asked about read alouds, but more broadly, we're just running low on recreational reading fitting for junior high.

Jessica, my husband has all the Hornblower books. We just pulled Mr. Midshipman out of storage and handed it over. We'll weigh when to bring out others in the series. I understand the content becomes more mature.

Being home so much lately, there's a lot of recreational reading happening. Recently, my 7th grader has read Great Expectations, Fahrenheit 451, the Roman Britain Trilogy, To Kill a Mockingbird, Sherlock Holmes, and probably some things I'm forgetting. He's gravitating toward classics, asserting the older books are better written and more wholesome. I just came across a PDF of Martin Cothran's book recommendations for boys, and I'm starting to pick through it. It's a challenge to gauge an age range for books I've not read recently and/or aren't reviewed on content websites like Common Sense Media.

Megan
          Megan
          2020-2021
          DS 7A with Third Form, MPOA and at home, violin
          DD 5A, MPOA and at home, violin

Comment

Working...
          X