Traditional Spelling 1 prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Spelling 1 prep

Hey, I was wondering about the spelling word cards. Are they supposed to look exactly like the colorful letters key in the back of the book? The colorful letters key has macrons and breves and bullets. However the instructions for the spelling words cards do not mention special symbols and bullets--just different colors for the letters/teams, and all black for sight words (which, in contrast, are "colorful" in the key).
    Thanks!

Spelling word cards should just be one color.

Comment

I did mine in the colorful letters on lined sentence strips cut to the length of each word. My visual speller needed to see those chunks all week, and the effect of tracing over her own writing was almost illegible. Natural spellers may not need this.
      Mama to 2, Married 18 years

Summer:
      DS 6-MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
      Fall 2020
      DD9-4A

Comment

I used heavy weight note cards and wrote them just the way they are in the back of the book. Writing them out really helped me learn the system.

I really thought they were supposed to be color-coded, I'm confused to hear they're supposed to be just one color.
        Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
        DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
        DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
        Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

I've always many to ask for clarification on whether the cards were supposed to be just like the colorful letters.
          after reading this I grabbed the teachers manual and checked and it says the main phonogram is supposed to be colored- you all aren't imagining things!

Comment

I should have clarified my answer. Our teachers don't color code the words in the charts they post but when writing the program I thought it was important to see those phonograms pop! What we have here is a difference in what is actually happening in the classroom and what we suggest in the manual. Do what is best for your child. If you have a natural reader and speller who has little trouble, no need to go to the extra trouble of color-coding those spelling word cards. However, if your child struggles or you feel would benefit from seeing those phonograms pop-out when they read the words, I suggest color coding!

Comment

Working...
            X