Poetry for language development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poetry for language development

In an effort to simplify school over the summer, while continuing to sharpen skills, I am looking to add some audio resources to our day. I am looking for a nice recording of a book of poetry, so that we can add to our poetry memorization until we pick up the first grade core in the fall. Either a CD or an Audible book would work fine. We already have the works of A A Milne, Robert Louis Stevenson, and two collections of Dr. Suess's, among others. I am looking for something new. I would really love something that was light-hearted, but still helped build a moral foundation. I wish that I could find Sing Song in an audio version, but thus far I have not. Honestly, at this time, Emily Dickinson is probably too morbid for my little one. Another round of A A Milne would be exquisite, if there were such a thing. Any ideas? Thank you so very, very much!!!!

Sorry I'm no help, but excited to see any other recommendations. If you don't mind, can you recommend any of the collections you have that you all particularly enjoy?
    2021/2022
    5A
    3M
    ​​​​​​1 (with some K work still to finish)
    ​With a 4 and 1 year old tag along

Comment

IEW has a poetry program with a CD that sounds just like what you're looking for.
      Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys, teacher at St. Dominic Latin (FFL, TFL, 4FL, Traditional Logic 1&2), Memoria College student

2021-2022
      9th grade - a mix of MPOA, Vita Beata, Lukeion, and AOPS
      8th grade - 8M with modifications
      4th grade - 4A

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Also, I'd love it if MP had a CD for their poetry selections! Just an idea for when Tanya runs out of things to do.
        Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys, teacher at St. Dominic Latin (FFL, TFL, 4FL, Traditional Logic 1&2), Memoria College student

2021-2022
        9th grade - a mix of MPOA, Vita Beata, Lukeion, and AOPS
        8th grade - 8M with modifications
        4th grade - 4A

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Nerdmom Thank you. I am going to go ahead and order that item from IEW. It will be a lovely solution!

Comment

It looks like you can get at least a few levels from iew free. We got it through something similar a few years ago.

https://iew.com/three-weeks-of-langu...ction-from-iew
            2021/2022
            5A
            3M
            ​​​​​​1 (with some K work still to finish)
            ​With a 4 and 1 year old tag along

Comment

We love this CD!
              https://www.jimweiss.com/recording/h...d-poems-vol-i/
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
              12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
              10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
              7th • HLN & Home
              4th • HLN & Home
              Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                We love this CD! It's scheduled in Simply Classical Level 4! You can buy it here at MP! https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...d-poems-vol-1/
                Christine

(2021/2022)
                DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, MPOA Narrative)
                DS2 9/1/11 - MP4
                DD3 2/9/13 -MP2 or SC4? (still debating!)

Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Oh nice! I had no idea!
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
                  12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
                  10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
                  7th • HLN & Home
                  4th • HLN & Home
                  Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

It was hard to find a listing of all the poems included on the CD, but I found it on Jim Weiss' website.

The Carl Sandburg poem reminds me of the trip I took to his home in Flat Rock, NC. It's so beautiful there!
                    Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
                    Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
                    SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Working...
                    X