Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me Choose Tiner books please?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help me Choose Tiner books please?

    Hi,
    I have Biology, Astronomy, Planet Earth, Physics, and Chemistry sitting here on a bookshelf.

    My upcoming 7th grade son is not really interested in doing Trees, and so I am trying to decide which Tiner books to go with for his 7th grade year. The plan for 8th is Novare Physical Science with MPOA.

    If it were up to him, he'd pick Biology, Physics, and Chemistry. However, he took the Chemistry book down to his room last night and just said "I can barely understand this" after I asked him what he thought of it. I think he chose those because he wants to challenge himself and just feel kind of smart. But, I'm obviously concerned that he won't understand it and since I have 5 other kids at home, I won't have a lot of time to spend with him on it.

    So, is it a bad idea to go with those 3, or am I setting us up for failure? I know I want BIology for sure, i'ts just the other 2 that I need advice on.

    Thank you!

    #2
    Hello.

    Physics and Chemistry are definitely the hardest Tiner books. They have a lot of math in them. So if you don't want to deal with the math, you might consider Astronomy, Biology, and Planet Earth. Those go together well for a nice science course.

    Tanya

    Comment


      #3
      Oh! Have you considered Nature's Beautiful Order? That also would be a great introduction to the animal kingdom and a nice way to tie up science before moving into upper level courses. It basically gives students an understanding of creation as a whole before we start dissecting it into little pieces in biology and chemistry. (But I guess that would mean you would need to buy more books, so my previous post stands if you want to use something you already own!)

      Tanya

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks Tanya! I like your suggestions of Astronomy, Biology and Planet Earth. The problem is, he's still ambitiously wanting to do Physics and Chemistry. I may try to talk him out of 1 of those, but let him attempt the other. Thanks for your help!

        Comment


          #5
          Well, if he wants to do the math-related courses, he will probably be fine with them. Sounds like he is ready for a challenge. So I agree that you should let him try one and see how he does. Sometimes we underestimate them and they rise up and show us they can do more than we ever dreamed!

          Tanya

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Meadowlark View Post
            Thanks Tanya! I like your suggestions of Astronomy, Biology and Planet Earth. The problem is, he's still ambitiously wanting to do Physics and Chemistry. I may try to talk him out of 1 of those, but let him attempt the other. Thanks for your help!
            Short answer: I'd pick Tiner Chemistry over Tiner Physics. If you can only do three, my very personal preference would be Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, but it's just me.

            Longer answer: My older two have done all 6 Tiner books with MPOA. They say there isn't basically any math in the Chemistry book. In Physics there are laws and formulas to learn and practice with, although their teacher skipped whatever was labelled "extra practice" in the book. Cindy in Indy (Cindy Davies, MP teacher at the Indianapolis school) once said that the Tiner Physics book, while a basic introduction to the people and concepts, is not actually terribly good at explaining concepts, and that Novare's Introductory Physics is a lot clearer, although it's obviously a more advanced book.
            If you're already planning on doing Novare's Physical Science in 8th grade, that would be excellent preparation for high school science, and at that point it will not matter which Tiner you did or didn't do: a strong math foundation would be more important.

            Bonus: I love Nature's Beautiful Order that Tanya mentioned, and her description is spot on: it's like an attempt to see the big picture before you delve into the minutiae of each science. We plan on just reading/discussing it as a family this summer.
            DS (15)
            DD (14)
            DS (7)

            Comment


              #7
              Sorry Meadowlark , my answer is in limbo!
              DS (15)
              DD (14)
              DS (7)

              Comment


                #8
                If you are going to do Novare Physical Science in 8th that will cover physics and chemistry. I’d focus on other topics- particularly life science but astronomy and planet earth would be good with biology if you want three Tiner. Or do Tiner Biology plus Nature’s Beautiful Order.
                Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                DS, 20, Physics major
                DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
                DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by momgineer View Post
                  If you are going to do Novare Physical Science in 8th that will cover physics and chemistry. I’d focus on other topics- particularly life science but astronomy and planet earth would be good with biology if you want three Tiner. Or do Tiner Biology plus Nature’s Beautiful Order.
                  momgineer Can you elaborate a bit on this? I am stumped on what to do with my grade 8 age son who will be doing a mix of 7M and 6M next year. He didn't like insects this year and while he doesn't dictate the curriculum, I'm looking for something engaging for him. Nature's Beautiful Order seems like it will engage him because from the on-line sample there seems to be a good bit of history that may draw him in. All the 6M and 7M science are very interesting to me, but I want to make sure he is at least reasonably engaged. He struggles with math, so my hopes for Novare's Physical Science don't seem feasible for this September. I'd be interested on your thoughts.
                  Meadowlark I hope you don't mind me asking my own question on your thread, but your question caught my eye and I'm tagging along rather than start another one.
                  Monica
                  Monica
                  S - 14
                  S - 12

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by KikaMarie View Post
                    momgineer Can you elaborate a bit on this? I am stumped on what to do with my grade 8 age son who will be doing a mix of 7M and 6M next year. He didn't like insects this year and while he doesn't dictate the curriculum, I'm looking for something engaging for him. Nature's Beautiful Order seems like it will engage him because from the on-line sample there seems to be a good bit of history that may draw him in. All the 6M and 7M science are very interesting to me, but I want to make sure he is at least reasonably engaged. He struggles with math, so my hopes for Novare's Physical Science don't seem feasible for this September. I'd be interested on your thoughts.
                    Meadowlark I hope you don't mind me asking my own question on your thread, but your question caught my eye and I'm tagging along rather than start another one.
                    Monica
                    Meadowlark has said she intended to use Novare Physical Science in 9th and wondered which Tiner books to do in 7th. Since PS is all physics and chemistry, it seemed redundant to do Tiner physics or chemistry. In your case, you don’t intend to do Novare in middle school so that doesn’t apply. (Side note- Novare Physical Science has very little math in it- it is just in two chapters. In one they learn unit conversion and in the other they learn very basic density calculations. Otherwise it is all concepts.) the Tiner books also involve a lot of history- almost more history than science in some. MP has nice guides that make studying easy. Tiner would probably be a great fit for him.
                    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                    DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                    DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                    DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                    DS, 20, Physics major
                    DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                    DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
                    DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I meant Meadowlark intends to use Novare in 8th not 9th. Sorry for the typo.
                      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                      DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                      DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                      DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                      DS, 20, Physics major
                      DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                      DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
                      DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Meadowlark View Post
                        Hi,
                        I have Biology, Astronomy, Planet Earth, Physics, and Chemistry sitting here on a bookshelf.

                        My upcoming 7th grade son is not really interested in doing Trees, and so I am trying to decide which Tiner books to go with for his 7th grade year. The plan for 8th is Novare Physical Science with MPOA.

                        If it were up to him, he'd pick Biology, Physics, and Chemistry. However, he took the Chemistry book down to his room last night and just said "I can barely understand this" after I asked him what he thought of it. I think he chose those because he wants to challenge himself and just feel kind of smart. But, I'm obviously concerned that he won't understand it and since I have 5 other kids at home, I won't have a lot of time to spend with him on it.

                        So, is it a bad idea to go with those 3, or am I setting us up for failure? I know I want BIology for sure, i'ts just the other 2 that I need advice on.

                        Thank you!
                        Chiming in with what we did ----(all of these years have been in the MPOA)

                        6th grade --
                        (Tiner)Medicine, Earth, Astronomy

                        7th grade --
                        (Tiner)Bio, Chem, Physics

                        8th grade ---
                        Novare Physical Science

                        I don't feel like using the Bio/Chem/Physics in 7th was redundant for Physical Science in 8th grade. For us, it was a great segue. Your mileage may vary.
                        Plans for 2021-22

                        Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

                        DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
                        DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy - equestrian
                        DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                        DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
                        DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School -equestrian
                        DS6 - 7 - MP 1 - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X