One Year "Behind" and "Independence"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Year "Behind" and "Independence"

Probably for my own encouragement and moral support, I'm wondering how many of you have children that are one year "behind." ?

My daughter has a June birthday and began FSR last spring, just before she turned six. We have been working our way through FSR and R&S 1 during her whole first grade year. Now, she's in "second" grade, and I'm looking forward to beginning the STT/MSTT with her!

The more I use of MP, the more I like it and am considering using more of the core in the future, but is it truly okay that we're one year "behind" (except for math)? I think she's where she needs to be right now...

---

Also, one of my hopes as a homeschool mom is that once she's reading well, she'll be more "independent" with her schooling. A lot of the MP guides seem to require a good amount of teacher interaction. How do you encourage self-learning as much as possible, once the foundation skills are laid? That's one thing I'm concerned about with a younger one in K, and with the potential of someday adding to our family.

Thanks!
    Rita

I had one who came to MP as a 3rd grader doing 2nd grade lit and Latin. Turns out MP broke 3rd into two years when she was going into 6th and suddenly she was on grade level (a year behind accelerated/original but on track new path). I also have a son who was barely 12 at the start of the year who just finished 7A so he is “ahead”. He wasn’t reading or doing Storytime till he was almost 7.
    my littlest was 6 in Aug and struggling to learn to read. We did FSR and only got to book D. She still isn’t reading fluently, even those little phonics stories. She will work over the summer and do Storytime next fall at age 7 (Aug birthday) and I don’t consider her behind at all. She will be an old 1st grader but would be so at a school too. If it clicks in the next two years, she can always do 3A and be ahead ?‍♀️. Really until 3rd, I just go at their pace and focus on reading and math and see where we end up.
    some of mine needed me by their side all through 3rd and into 4th. My son (7A) even wanted me doing almost everything with him in 5A. He could learn easily but just needed the emotional support. He just finished 7A very independently. They get there.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 20, Physics major
    DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
    DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

What is great about MP is that they don't put the cart before the horse. They know that a solid foundation is laid with good, teacher-led instruction up through the primary grades. I don't think there are many subjects designed to just hand over a booklet to a child in MP, but some assignments do lend themselves to more independent work when issues like grip and letter formation are no longer emerging (like copying spelling words or Latin vocabulary, memory verses, drilling flashcards, etc, as the child proves capable). Most of us have found that a high level of supervision is required through 4th grade...and even then, we find a strange joy in our main teaching day (for us, all new lessons except for the last block of the day get taught Monday). For some of us, this is the Classical Christian education we never had, and we find ourselves begging our kids to stay in the kitchen to read aloud the next chapter so we can make dinner, fold clothes, tend to a sibling, and listen in.

Once your child makes the full connection with reading, she will move from decoding to applying background knowledge to what she is reading. So, when a child learns Latin derivatives and sees one in a read-aloud, the child can't help but make the connections. Then, there is joy in the "ah-ha" moment of uncovering a hidden meaning.

That's the part where the solid foundation makes self-education possible. When a child knows her 50 states and capitals, 45 Presidents, books of the Bible and its major events, important dates on a timeline, the numerous references to Greek mythology and Roman rulers, how to read a map, how to find answers in a text and form a concise answer, when she understands the natural world around her and the various ways man has classified, studied and appreciated it, and when she can use numbers and number theory to explain the world around her, THEN she will be able to self educate.

Don't worry about being where your child needs to be. That is awesome! So many get caught up in age and grade instead of readiness. Some play catch up, and some win the race steadily. Isn't that the beauty of homeschooling?
      Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
      Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
      SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

In a lot of ways, MP is "ahead" because of the way material is written. They don't keep cycling back through previous material. I have a friend who was able to start at the beginning with her last kiddo in MP, and as an "older" first grader, her dd is a stronger reader and more advanced than the dd's second grade friends, both homeschool and public school.

If your daughter is at her age-grade for math, you are not behind at all. In a lot of ways I wish MP didn't use numbers for their grades, like what Simply Classical does. It would be confusing to re-name the cores at this point, though.
        Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Working...
        X