EGR Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR Question

I know that MP has based their EGR program off the assumption that the student is getting the bulk of their grammar from their Latin studies. How important would it be to keep the level of EGR in line with the child's Latin level? I am working on summer plans. We aren't going anywhere, and are planning to do some light schooling through the summer. We do better on routine, and are hoping to take some trips once things hopefully calm down this fall. I have some room in my son's schedule to put in EGR II if he would be better served by having had that before we head into Second Form in the fall. He took Fable online this year and they completed EGR I (which he had done, so that was review, but it served him well), so we are technically a year "behind" his Latin studies.

If the consensus is that it doesn't matter I'll push it to the fall, but would be happy to schedule it for the summer too.
    ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
    DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
    DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
    DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Hello.

You don't need to worry about keeping your EGR level beside a particular Latin level. There are some concepts that are introduced first in Latin and others in English grammar. The important thing is for students to get the connection between the languages. A direct object is easier to locate in a Latin sentence because of its case, but then we need to show students how a direct object looks in an English sentence. It doesn't really matter which comes first - it is the connection we are after. Sometimes, we can remind students that they first saw a concept in Latin, and at other times, when we talk about a concept in Latin, we point out that they have studied it in English. There will be some of both because it's not a perfect Latin/English grammar world we have created. Sigh.

Tanya

Comment

Tanya, thank you so much for this!! I will table EGR II and cover it this fall. Thank you!
      ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
      DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
      DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
      DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        Hello.

You don't need to worry about keeping your EGR level beside a particular Latin level. There are some concepts that are introduced first in Latin and others in English grammar. The important thing is for students to get the connection between the languages. A direct object is easier to locate in a Latin sentence because of its case, but then we need to show students how a direct object looks in an English sentence. It doesn't really matter which comes first - it is the connection we are after. Sometimes, we can remind students that they first saw a concept in Latin, and at other times, when we talk about a concept in Latin, we point out that they have studied it in English. There will be some of both because it's not a perfect Latin/English grammar world we have created. Sigh.

Tanya
        Yes! This is very helpful! I was definitely stressing, when we started latin, that my child didn't know enough english grammar to do the latin. It seemed odd learning it in latin first. However, even though it didn't make since to me at the time, the fruit of this method is showing....now I "get" it a little more. I know MP has already figured out the puzzle, but sometimes it is hard to see/understand the method while you go through it with your child.
        Christine

(2021/2022)
        DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, MPOA Narrative)
        DS2 9/1/11 - MP4
        DD3 2/9/13 -MP2 or SC4? (still debating!)

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Working...
        X