Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing Instruments - Erasable Gel pens

Good Morning guys!

I hit a weird moment yesterday and I was really frustrated with the sloppiness of the pencil writing my sons were doing. I think they were too. I have given them some really comfortable clickable writing pencils but yesterday I just got frustrated that they wouldn't even pick up their pencils to write or finish the work. Finally, I just handed each of them one of my colorful blue erasable Frixion clickable gel pens.

Weirdly, the addition of the bright colorful gel pen (erasable) seemed to motivate them. Has anyone tried these for the student guides?

It's a weird question to ask but these pens will lose color if left in the heat. I guess my only concern is if I'm keeping records and the student guides start going blank. Just curious if anyone ever tried this. It sure makes the student guides visually interesting - especially if you switch color pens for each answer.

I just don't want the student guides fading. I'm hoping if they stay in the house, that will never be an issue.
    Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
    DS (MP3A) - 8
    DS (1) - 7
    DD (Adorable distraction) 4

We have used Frixion pens for several years and I have not noticed any fading.
    Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 11 years

dd - 11th grade using MP
    ds - 9th grade using MP and Kolbe Academy

Comment

We love Frixion!!!! Best pen ever for my lefty. I have not had issues with the ink fading. A friend once had her son spill water on his math notebook and he used a hair dryer to dry it off and it erased his work. They put it in the freezer and it faintly came back. They say if you leave it in a hot car it might fade, but i haven’t tested this. It hasn’t faded in my home.
      as far as records- I don’t worry about long term preservation on grade school work. For high school I scan anything I want saved so even if it fades, I have a digital copy.
      Word of caution- don’t get so caught up in the Frixion wonder world that you forget to keep a few regular pens on hand. You should never write a check or sign a legal document in Frixion same as not doing so in pencil. I have so many lovely Frixion around that sometimes it is hard to find a regular pen when I need it!
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 20, Physics major
      DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
      DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

I use them all the time in my calendar, but never on a permanent document. I have a quote by Professor Carol that is on a sticky note on my computer, and it is about faded totally so that I can hardly read it. My office is air-conditioned, but I guess the sun coming in the window might have done it. I have stickies with other notes stuck there too that are written in pencil, and they don't fade at all. It is definitely the Frixion pens. But I love them!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
          Good Morning guys!

I hit a weird moment yesterday and I was really frustrated with the sloppiness of the pencil writing my sons were doing. I think they were too. I have given them some really comfortable clickable writing pencils but yesterday I just got frustrated that they wouldn't even pick up their pencils to write or finish the work. Finally, I just handed each of them one of my colorful blue erasable Frixion clickable gel pens.

Weirdly, the addition of the bright colorful gel pen (erasable) seemed to motivate them. Has anyone tried these for the student guides?

It's a weird question to ask but these pens will lose color if left in the heat. I guess my only concern is if I'm keeping records and the student guides start going blank. Just curious if anyone ever tried this. It sure makes the student guides visually interesting - especially if you switch color pens for each answer.

I just don't want the student guides fading. I'm hoping if they stay in the house, that will never be an issue.
          I haven’t used friction before, but my kids do like colorful. Even my junior in high school. She writes out her Greek and Latin translations before typing them out in her pink and purple fountain pens.

by the way, how many student guides are you saving for records? Michigan doesn’t really have many rules so my kids look forward to recycling them at the end of the year. I might suggest copying some sample pages in a folder for each child. It wouldn’t matter what sort of pen you used. Entire workbooks would eat up all my storage space quite quickly and I don’t have a small house. All I really save are copy books with illustrations and some projects. I dedicate a file folder box per kid for their entire k-8 years. I have a separate binder for high school work samples. I figure public schools aren’t saving all your kids workbooks so I don’t need to either.
          Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
          15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
          DD College Freshman
          DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
          DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
          DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Working...
          X