Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwm23
    replied
    Thanks Michelle. I am not sure exactly where to plase my son in spelling. He is also doing rod and staff 2 this year. He missed 10 out of 12 words a few weeks ago, but he hadn't studied much. I have upped my studying rules for him and added in colorful letters. Most weeks he misses 1-3 out of 12. I suspect a bit of dyslexia and talked a bit to Cheryl and posted on the special needs board. His reading is good, we are doing farmer boy now, and I'm making him write at least half of the answers. We come up with a sentence together, then he copies it. I write the others. He does most of the reading. Writing is still slow for him, but it looks nice. I think increasing his writting every day is making writing faster and perhaps helping spelling too.

Any other thoughts for him would be good to. I am doing 4th new with him next year. I am planning to help his writing increase all next year.

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied
    If you don't think you will finish R & S 2, Traditional Spelling II would be my suggestion. I'm not sure why you are dropping the 4th grader all the way back to level I but you might consider doing both he and your daughter in level two. This might simplify things a bit. Level I is so very basic, which might be exactly what your son needs, you didn't elaborate so I'm not sure.

Here is a link to some articles on the benefits of Latin that were written by our founder, Cheryl Lowe. After hearing her speak on why Latin was important, I signed up my children and have seen the benefits!

https://www.memoriapress.com/articles/why-study-latin/

Mammals is a nice study but will be too in depth for a second grade student. The 3rd grader is ready for the written expectation associated with the workbook, including quizzes and tests. Reading through the text together and discussing would be a much better use of your time. Patterns of Nature is scheduled in coordination with the Enrichment of 2nd grade. The book was actually scheduled to provide oral reading practice of expository material. While many of the lessons are coordinated with themes from the Read Alouds, we never schedule the written questions, though you have the freedom to add those if you wish. We do suggest your student read a portion of the material orally and you ascertain comprehension of what she read by asking questions. At the primary grade level we believe science and history are best taught by reading about a theme the student can tie into a familiar story then expand their knowlegdge through discussion and/or observation and activities like you listed.

Leave a comment:

• Fwm23
    replied
    We are only about 1/2 way through with Rod and Staff 2. The words in Rod and staff 2 seem easy compared th Abeka or Christian Liberty Press, so I thought TS 2 might be good? I'm not sure though. I had her and her brother doing spelling together this year. I am dropping him back to traditional spelling 1 next year. He struggles with spelling and it seems to come naturally for her.

About Latin, I'm not totally sure about Latin`s usefulness. I am still reading about it though. My husband will be even harder than I to convince....at least I'm open to being persuaded.

I think I will do 2nd with 3rd lit and intro to composition. Michelle (and anyone else), this path 2, 3A (with 4m lit), 4A skips mammels. Would you just skip it or let her just read the book (I have the whole The World of Animals) or do the mammels set? I also have Patterns of Nature. She would probably like to color it and read it, but I'm pretty sure she knows almost all of it. We garden, do nature study, look at the stars, milk cows, make hay, plant potatoes, watch tadpoles and baby kittens.....just in our everyday lives. What are your thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied
    I, too, like the idea of beginning with the 2nd grade but using 3rd lit for this year with Intro to Comp then next year move into 3A (4th grade lit) and remain on the Accelerated track. Can I ask why you are not considering Latin this year? Prima Latina would be the perfect next step for English grammar and would also provide a bit of a challenge for your child. Prima will enhance English vocabulary as well. Traditional Spelling II may be too easy for a student who has completed Rod & Staff 2 with mastery. You might consider either moving up to Rod & Staff 3 or transitioning to Spelling Work Out D.

Leave a comment:

• enbateau
    replied
    One more vote for keeping your child who turns 8 next April in MP2 as written. It felt like it didn't square with how "advanced" I thought my eldest was, but when we did the full core with all of the Enrichment, it was plenty. We rolled into 3A as written, which has been an excellent fit. We're starting 4A this summer, and she's thrilled with the literature selections, but I'm glad she had MP2 *and* MP3 lit in which to build her confidence with writing.

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied
    I think you have hit on the right combo....letting her go ahead in literature, but then making use of the rest of the 2nd grade curriculum. I have an 8yr old right now, November birthday, who I kept in the second grade core this year, and it was a perfect amount of review and new challenges for her. I am so glad she will have the additional maturity before moving on.

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Originally posted by howiecram View Post

If you took this route, you could do 4th lit with 3A. The following year, you could do 4A, and would not have to sub. (4A lit are the same books scheduled in the regular 5th grade homeschool program)
    I should point out that SC 5/6 would keep you all in one guide! It has the spelling from 2nd grade and the lit from 3rd grade..it also has the English Grammar Practice sheets from 2nd grade. The two year pace would put her in the same place, but not make you go batty using several guides. (it. makes me go batty!).
    Last edited by howiecram; 04-26-2020, 07:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Originally posted by Fwm23 View Post
    I am listening and rethinking 2nd What about this idea?

Do 2nd, basically but swap in 3rd lit and Intro to composition. Then next year do 3rd Accelerated with the 4th for new users lit? I am still thinking it all out so please give me other thoughts.
    If you took this route, you could do 4th lit with 3A. The following year, you could do 4A, and would not have to sub. (4A lit are the same books scheduled in the regular 5th grade homeschool program)

Leave a comment:

• Fwm23
    replied
    I am listening and rethinking 2nd What about this idea?

Do 2nd, basically but swap in 3rd lit and Intro to composition. Then next year do 3rd Accelerated with the 4th for new users lit? I am still thinking it all out so please give me other thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Since SC 5/6 has been released, you might consider doing SC 5/6 over two years. This schedules Intro to Comp for you and you could take a slower pace. It gives you the books you are seeing, but would keep her more on pace with the "regular cores". SC 5/6 does not use the guides, but you can buy those as an add on package.

Leave a comment:

• enbateau
    replied
    Definitely rethink 3rd and take a second look at MP2. My eldest was also reading and discussing well C. S. Lewis's TLW&W in the middle of 1st, but there's no way she could have written good complete sentences as answers to questions. One of the beautiful things about MP is that they introduce a skill (formulating an answer to a question found in the text) with text that is below to far below an average reading level in order to free up bandwidth for acquiring the new skill. Do not be offended by Prairie School! My child scoffed. Literally. But the assignments ramped up in difficulty, and by Beatrix Potter, she was glad she had the skills under her belt. LHBW is so awesome that it definitely deserves a second, thorough reading with a lit guide. Especially if you're not adding Latin yet, pay attention to the Curriculum Guide where they either cross reference Rod & Staff Building Christian English 2 or add in those new English Grammar Practice Sheets. Even with a solid phonics foundation, keeping those spelling rules and phonograms fresh through the Phonics notes in the lit guides or Traditional Spelling II is very important. We enjoyed the review, even with my accelerated reader.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...dent-workbook/

Leave a comment:

• Fwm23
    replied
    I just ment that she can read and write now at an end of 2nd grade level. She knows through phonics and enjoys reading and sentence writing. She spells better than big brother.....but he struggles with spelling. I really dont need the phonics part of 2nd grade with her and think she would do well with intro to composition. Perhaps i could do 2nd grade with 3rd moderated novels? Or just do the 2nd novels and skip the phonics?? She has finished AAR 1-4 already. I bought the 3rd manual for her but now I am rethinking that.....

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    I would give more weight to age than aptitude with those young students and younger siblings to consider as well. If you are doing less of the curriculum it will matter less, but MP ramps up very quickly in the 6th to 8th window before high school. It can catch you by surprise if you get there "young." A 7 year old I would place into 2nd for as many subjects as you choose to use so that she turns 8 during second grade. Roll that forward to senior year of high school and that's 17 turning 18 during 12th. Many students, especially homeschoolers, can present skills early particularly in reading or arithmetic. However, most of them will level off with peers in a few years (usually by 3rd/4th) and those early differences no longer matter. I see this more now that I administrate and teach in a tutorial setting. One or two skills may show up early, but that doesn't mean the child need to be accelerated across the board or grade-level wise. I see that you are not new to the board (71 posts!), so much of this may be a repeat. Apologies for any of that!

Maybe you can clarify what you mean by "she is academically ready for 3rd" and we all can discuss more from there.

For literature, my preference is to judge what they can do by how well they can do the literature guide as assigned rather than if they can read and understand the book itself. The point of the literature guides is to take them deeper, beyond what they would get by simply reading the story. Kids who don't mind handwriting will probably seem to do better in this respect because they do not push back on the written work. Those that don't want to write (in my experience, the majority--ha!), will push back and will give you oral "filet mignon" and written "bologna." Those students need more time with the guide and/or should write fewer answers, but very high quality answers. Also take into consideration how much writing they are doing on a daily basis.

If you are not doing Myths (classics) nor Latin, then you will likely have more time to devote to writing well in these fewer subjects.

Please let me know if this is helpful or misses the mark. The longer I hang around the MP curriculum, the more I encourage parents to place at or slightly below what they would initially think so that the student is always equal to the work; so that it can be a challenge (it will, no matter what level--you can always go deeper) but will not dishearten them or take too long each day.

Best-

Leave a comment:

• Fwm23
    started a topic Grade 2 or grade 3?

Grade 2 or grade 3?

We are planning to use mostly MP next year. I have a dd who is academically ready for 3rd grade, but not that mature... She is reading little house in the big woods and doing the guide with me now. She did Abeka language 2nd grade this year. So, she knows nouns, verbs, adj, and adv, but needs more practice finding them. She is learning cursive and doing rod and staff spelling 2. She does not mind the act of writing and writes for fun.

BUT she is only just 7(mid April birthday), prone to fidgiting and staring out the window. She is super easily sidetracked and doesn't like school. I'm afraid I pushed her in the past and want to make sure I don't now.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
    She has an older brother (8 almost 9)that is probably going to do 4th new mostly next year. He is doing Farmer Boy now with a guide and me and doing fine. He doesn't like writing and finds it slow, but knows cursive and I think just needs more practice. We also have a 4yr old and a 1yr old. I am planning to keep with RightStart math and Abeka grammar and not do Latin. I also don't want to do myths now.

Please give me all your thoughts and ideas.
Working...
X