Starting MP in 6th grade from public school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting MP in 6th grade from public school

I am looking into homeschooling for 2020-21, currently my 2nd and 5th Grader attend public school. I’m concerned how my 5th Grader will transition to this curriculum from public school. Does anyone have any suggestions for additional materials I may need? Should I just purchase the 6th grade core curriculum or should I purchase younger grades for certain subjects? Any help is appreciated - thank you!

Welcome to the fabulous MP community! While we await some mamas who've taught MP6 to chime in, definitely avail yourself of some of the free training and inspiration videos from the 2019 Sodalitas. There are some great insights into transitioning to MP from any program. The main takeaways would be to do a staggered start with the students (I often start my eldest 2 weeks early, then bring in my youngest), don't feel like you have to *write* an answer to every single question in every single study guide, especially if you're doing a full core (we prioritize the ones that appear on tests if we're short on time), and stretch the first week into two to get the feel for the order if the day.

A good day is Latin, math, and literature. Some mamas add in the tertiary subjects like science or spelling or Christian Studies as you get your feet wet.

Co-read and pick out passages to read aloud together. Don't make your student read every page aloud to you. There's an excellent teaching Ryan Weston gave on literature recently. It was during one of the online conferences....I'll see if I can link to it.

Again, welcome, and feel free to ask as many questions as you need. The best way to search the forum for individual subjects is to type "forum.memoriapress.com and ___________" into a normal search engine.
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3
    SY 22/23
    6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
    MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

I found the link.

It is called the Model Literature Lesson with Ryan Weston from Memoria Press. It is on YouTube. This is my 2nd year doing lit guides, and I still learned a lot of pointed help.

Mama of 2, teacher of 3
      SY 22/23
      6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
      MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
      SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

Hello! A good place to start figuring things out is the Memoria Press' Scope and Sequence document for each year of the Core Curriculum (until grade 10): it details what each grade works on, and what the student is expected to know by the end of the year. You can use it as a readiness checklist, and if you find that the 6th grade Core is perfect for your situation, then you can order it. If not, just do what a lot of us do, and piece things together borrowing from different Cores, depending on your child's current knowledge and skills. The first question for you to answer will be about Latin: if your child has never done Latin before, you can't start with the Latin included in the Sixth Grade Core, which is Second Form Latin.

I would also advise you to peruse what MP offers besides what's included in the Cores: if you go to the website and select "Shop by Subject" you're going to learn about alternatives that may interest you. As wonderfully simple and efficient the idea of buying a Core may be, the truth is that you'll have to do some thinking about what you want your child to study, based on his abilities and your goals. The Core will be the answer for some, but not for all. (As an aside, I think the MP practice is to grant some discount even to parents who piece things together instead of buying a packaged Core - you should call them to know more.)

But you've definitely come to the right place, I'm sure you'll be deluged with good advice here from a lot of seasoned moms!
        DS (16)
        DD (15)
        DS (7)

Comment

Lesson plans for individual subjects are here: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...plans-subject/

We starting using Memoria Press when dd was in 3rd grade, and have never fit into a core.
          Bean. Long time MP user. Almost retired homeschool mom and university faculty/ librarian.

I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD (17) Graduated!
          Mechanical Engineering

"School Administrator" to niece (9): MP 3A

Comment

Hello. I just wanted to pop on and tell you that I brought my 6th and 7th graders home this year after attending public school for the past 2 years. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Comment

Working...
            X