Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• happyhappyjoyjoy
    replied
    I had two degrees in Elem. Education before I homeschooled, and I didn't feel like I knew how to teach reading. It was homeschooling that taught me how

Leave a comment:

• A. Hud
    replied
    Thank you so much everyone for your words of encouragement! I appreciate all the extras that have been mentioned too. I will check out the videos and articles. Hope everyone has a wonderful day ?

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied
    It is totally fine to have these kind of worries! There is not a single one of us veteran moms who has not had some subject that made us shiver in our shoes. For some it is reading, others it is Latin, and still others it is math, science, or literature. Truth is, we all want to do a good job for our kids...scratch that; MORE than a good job...because these are our precious little people whom we love so dearly and for whom we want to do the very best job possible.

Keep in mind that it is a one-day-at-a-time thing. You open your books, you do what it says, you get the hang of it as you go along, and you give yourself (and your children) plenty of patience and grace to start small and trust the process.

One more thing I will add is that MP has tons of help. If you get stuck in a particular lesson, jump on here and ask for help. If you want more of an overview about how the whole process works, check the videos from the MP homeschool conference called "Sodalitas." Follow the link below to the videos from last summer. When you get to the page, you can scroll down about halfway and there is a whole video on Phonics and Reading. Watch that one, and then look through the others to see if there are more that would be helpful. There are several years worth of videos on a wide range of topics, going back as far as 2015!

You can do this!

https://www.memoriapress.com/streami...hering-videos/

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Bee
    replied
    One thing you can do to build your confidence: if you go to the Memoria Press homepage and put in the search box "phonics", you will see in the list of results some useful articles published in the magalog The Classical Teacher. There is one in the latest issue too, How To Teach Phonics. This booklet may help you too, How To Teach Your Child How To Read. Both are by Cheryl Lowe, the founder of Memoria Press.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Bee
    replied
    Sorry, I edited my reply and it was flagged as spam.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Bee
    replied
    I did lack confidence and expertise: English is not my native language When our oldest was born my spoken English was still very much a work in progress (I mean, it still is, spoken and written, but back then it was quite stressful.) We decided to homeschool quite early on, so I was really scared to teach reading. But once you make the decision to teach phonics and stumble upon a sound curriculum, then you can put away all fear. Phonics means breaking down words into bits that are manageable and make sense, working on them from easier to more complex, and it's liberating. You will still deal with a lot of pesky exceptions, but phonics will give your child the general sense that reading is not guessing or being lucky.
    The lived experience of learning to read will still vary: some kids are naturals, some kids still struggle even with this great approach. As it turned out, my oldest learned to read without any instruction, and my youngest thinks he can't do it at all. But by choosing phonics you can focus on the specific challenges, without having to worry in the back of your mind that you're doing it all wrong. Just small steps, with no hurry.

Leave a comment:

• Amanda Z
    replied
    It's mainly supplemental work. You skip around a bit as you do the different letters and sounds each week. It's not too advanced for kindergarten, so don't worry about that. We focus on the lessons in the first start reading books first and use the phonics books if we have extra time or need extra practice. That's what is recommended in the front of the curriculum guide.

Leave a comment:

• A. Hud
    started a topic Kindergarten question and concern

Kindergarten question and concern

I just received the memoria press kindergarten curriculum set and I notice there is a second book labeled phonics grade 1. Just wondering what this is for?
    also I am new to homeschooling and I have never taught reading. I already feel nervous to teach my son to read and am wondering if anyone else has lacked confidence and expertise in this area but still been successful? When I was a student I always did poor with anything grammar related so part of me feels I'm not qualified to do this
Working...
X