All Things Fun & Fascinating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Things Fun & Fascinating

Is "All Things Fun & Fascinating" listed in the 3rd Grade manual or is it something you would add in on your own/at your own pace? I can't find much about it except that it is listed under the books included in the 3rd Grade curriculum. I understand there is some type of seminar I would need to finish before working with my student? I don't want to be missing anything, so if it is in the manual as something needed to be checked off, I want to get it, or if it's not and it's just something you decide on your pace - what can I use in place of this that would accomplish the same result?

It is scheduled within the weekly guide. No worries there.

Another option some families use instead is Introduction to composition. That writing course uses the third grade literature as it's reference, whereas the IEW product has different source material (included in it's student workbook).

Totally your choice which to use. IEW is scheduled in your guide. Intro to comp is not, but it's not hard to figure out which to do.
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

When you order ATFF from MP, it comes with a DVD to preview to get the feel for it along with a pdf (printable) teacher's guide with some suggested answers. MP3 curriculum guides do schedule it at a nice and slow pace, starting each week by reading a cute, informative story or text, creating a keyword outline for each sentence, finishing with an oral presentation to rephrase the story in the student's own words from "notes." Later, the student rewrites narrative passages from notes, replacing banned verbs (go/went, come/came, say/said, get/got, see/look, eat) and adjectives (good, pretty, nice, interesting, big, bad, ugly, mean, and a lot) with rich vocabulary from the appendix or a thesaurus. Topic sentences, who-which clauses, alliteration, and sentence openers and concluding sentences are addressed, along with properly punctuating dialogue. There's also an overview of characters, setting, background, plot sequence, climax, and resolution in narrative. There is a good drafting and revision process helpful for those who need strong, formulaic breakdowns of the writing process.

For my 3rd grader, I appreciated the mandate to replace boring words, because she preferred to use adjectives she could spell over words she couldn't even imagine existed. ATFF has sparked a love of our thesaurus, and even when she's writing for fun now, she'll run to our Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus for exciting new words. The process of sifting through synonyms to reject ones that miss the nuance she's going for has been an incredible experience.

I would like to have had a longer look at the Intro to Comp copy I browsed last year, but it's hard to compare the two programs without having taught both.

I will say that KWO'ing has come in handy for a few answers in Christian Studies I where she had to take a large passage of text and reduce it to its main themes. Even still, I wonder if the magical Intro to Comp questions would have helped her reduce it even further...
      Last edited by enbateau; 04-18-2020, 12:57 PM.
      Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
      Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
      SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

You have gotten great responses here, but I will add that we only do the first seven lessons of ATFF. We found it too difficult for our 3rd graders. You will definitely need the lesson plans so you can take it at the pace we found works best for this age.

Intro to Composition is based on Susan Wise Bauer's Writing With Ease. Every lesson is the same, so it can get boring or it can be comforting to a student who like routine. You can see a sample on our website. It is a very popular program, so I would recommend that you look at both and choose the one that you feel suits your student better.

Tanya

Tanya

Comment

Tanya, do you think ATFF would be better for a fourth grader? I know the guide moves on to classical composition, but I'm not sure my writer is ready (or maybe it's just me having cold feet).
          DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
          DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
          DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
          Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
          Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Hello.

I don't see any problem at all to delay ATFF a year, starting Fable in 5th grade. I am a fan of slower is better for struggling or unmotivated students (I had both in my house!). A slower approach allows you to build confidence and solidify the basics before moving forward. Actually, I rather like the idea of Intro to Comp in 3rd alongside the 3rd lit, ATTF in 4th, and Fable in 5th. It's a nice, neat little package, isn't it?

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
              Hello.

I don't see any problem at all to delay ATFF a year, starting Fable in 5th grade. I am a fan of slower is better for struggling or unmotivated students (I had both in my house!). A slower approach allows you to build confidence and solidify the basics before moving forward. Actually, I rather like the idea of Intro to Comp in 3rd alongside the 3rd lit, ATTF in 4th, and Fable in 5th. It's a nice, neat little package, isn't it?

Tanya
              Oooh. As I start to plan the next school year ---- this is an interesting idea.
              Would you consider it detrimental if you used this pace for students who weren't struggling or unmotivated?
              Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
              DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
              DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
              DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
              DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
              DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                Hello.

Tanya
                Given the struggles of my oldest in 3rd with language, I'm wondering if that wouldn't be a better idea too. Every year under his belt helps him acquire more expressive language. I need to go look at the scope and sequence and see how that would play out over time. Thanks for this!
                Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
                DS (MP3A) - 8
                DS (1) - 7
                DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Comment

Working...
                X