EGR Memorization Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR Memorization Tips

We're on EGR III, but am looking for tips on how to memorize everything. It seems like this type memorization would work well in a school setting, but with one child how do I get them to memorize and retain everything? Also, how often should they be reciting everything from book 3 for example (I'm assuming they don't go back and recite book 2 after the beginning of the year)? The manual never really says to. If anyone has any tips or tricks I'd appreciate it. My student is a good writer and understands grammar well, but really dislikes the format of EGR. I'm starting to wonder if I should use a different curriculum with her or just need to figure out ways to help her memorize everything well and enjoy it more. (She does memorize well by the way so that isn't really the problem. It's just a lot to memorize each week when you are by yourself I think, maybe?).

Do you have the flashcards? Each day, my son is supposed to study his “Current” pack and one “Review” pack. Current covers everything presented so far in the current unit. Review packs are cards from previous units, divided up so there aren’t a ton each day.

This method helps with “interleaving” which is shown to be essential to memorization: studying new and old information at the same time.

Retrieval is also really important so ideally you would have them recite their current lesson daily. That’s not an option for us right now, so I encourage my son to self-quiz with his cards once or twice a week. He then recites when we meet for the new grammar lesson once a week.

Another option is Quizlet. Ad Block Plus (Chrome browser) gets rid of the ads on that. We went back to regular flashcards though because it was too much for me to keep up with who was on what screen when.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
    MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
    MPOA: High School Comp. II
    HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
    MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
    MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
    HSC: Modern European History

DS12
    7M with:
    Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
    SC Level 4

DD9
    3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
    SC Level C

Comment

The manual actually does have review scheduled at the start of each lesson. My kids are supposed to find a sibling and recite to their sibling the suggested review and the new information each day. The sibling in turn recites their stuff to the other. I give a recitation test each Friday, and cumulative recitation tests at the end of each unit.
      Cathy aka The Attached Mama
      2019-2020
      DS 12, 7th Grade
      DD 11, 6th Grade
      DS 5, K

Comment

I didn’t realize Flashcards existed! I just have the Green EGR book with all the recitation in it. So I see where it says in the manual to “review recitation” but how far back are we expected to review? Just the book we are currently on or all the books? Jennifer when you say units do you mean from the units of the book you are currently working on (like in my case book 3)? Or

Comment

I actually have my kids make their own flashcards. I write the question and they write the answer. It's just a more tactile way to get that info in their brain. They review there current semester of cards every day and their previous semester cards once a week. Done.
          Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
          DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
          DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
          Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
          Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

We made our own flashcards, too, with only the key word (say, "transitive verb" instead the whole question). After the 1st year, we bought the EGR flashcards, and she likes these even better. You are doing the workbook, right?
            Mama to 2, Married 18 years

SY 19/20
            DD 9-3A
            DS 6-SC C

Comment

Originally posted by KariE View Post
              I didn’t realize Flashcards existed! I just have the Green EGR book with all the recitation in it. So I see where it says in the manual to “review recitation” but how far back are we expected to review? Just the book we are currently on or all the books? Jennifer when you say units do you mean from the units of the book you are currently working on (like in my case book 3)? Or
              I’ll be back to answer this when I’m not on my phone (clunky time type!) But I was also wondering the same thing as enbateau: is your daughter using the student guide or just the green book?
              Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
              7M with:

DS11
              SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
              Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
              SC Level C

Comment

Yes, we do use the student guide as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KariE View Post
                  Whew, so much easier to type on here than on my phone!

Okay, so the Current pack holds:

1. The current lesson
                  2. Cards from previous lessons in the current unit
                  3. Cards referenced at the top of the current lesson (in the Student Guide, below the lesson number); these are usually questions from previous Books and they help set the foundation for the new concepts in the current lesson

Review packs hold:

1. Cards from all previous units in the current book
                  2. Any cards from past books that he still struggles with

When the Curriculum Manual says "Review Recitation" he does his flashcard sets for the day.

I'm distracted with a 5 year old whining in my ear, so please ask more questions if this doesn't make sense!
                  Last edited by jen1134; 03-26-2020, 12:35 PM.
                  Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
                  7M with:

DS11
                  SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
                  Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
                  SC Level C

Comment

I'm happy someone started this thread! I've been wondering all these things, as well!

Comment

🙋 Confessing that we actually don't memorize the EGR rules. We work on the grammar questions in Latin, but not these. I'm sure it would be really helpful, but it just seems unrealistic amongst everything else. We do the workbooks each year, discuss, and move on. Not to be a downer, but thought it would be worth mentioning.
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
                      @ Home, virtual-HLN, & MPOA
                      10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Just wanted to follow up on what I posted last night lest anyone toss their flashcards into a bonfire prematurely. I think one of the reasons this has been OK for us is that we have continued on with Latin year after year. I plan to make my kids take it every year through 12th and we are so-far-so-good on that. Additionally, my older kids have their writing taught in composition and marked in composition, literature, and classics by teachers at our tutorial. I have gaps that are being filled that way. So I encourage you to look and see what gaps you actually have and then to focus on those. If you are solo at home and do not have any outside input with writing, grammar, or mechanics, then EGR memorization might save your bacon. Keep in mind that not every homeschool is alike and we are all working with different levels of help--from lots to none.
                        Festina lentē,
                        Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
                        @ Home, virtual-HLN, & MPOA
                        10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
                        X