Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on Ordering for 3rd Grade

Ok. A few questions on ordering for third grade:

Would you find the Third grade American studies supplement a good investment? Is it beneficial to order those as opposed to trying to find them at the library?

Christian Studies: What doctrinal/theological slant is there to the program?
    What verses do the flashcards cover? Are they a necessary purchase?

Manual: Is it better to have a digital version of the manual? If you buy the digital is there additional info that's included in the print included? Or would you get the editable?
    I've used the print for second grade (which I typically prefer) but let's say it's gotten more than a few colorful stains this year.

Is there a difference in ordering for (what I think is called accelerated) covering the materials over one year versus over 3rd and 4th?

Thank you for any recommendations! I hope everyone is well.
    Last edited by Amanda U; 03-21-2020, 11:05 AM.

Hello! I can try and help you with your questions! We like the 3rd grade AM history readers, but they are not necessary at all. I would maybe check your library and see how many are available. I have had luck finding some used as well.

Christian Studies is not theological at all. It's simply people, places, events, etc. The verses are from the KJV. I know many Catholic families that do not wish to pursue the KJV so they leave them out. We have chosen to use them. I believe it was Cheryl Lowe's intent for these verses to lead to being able to read Shakespeare later. (but I could have misheard that! I'm sure someone from MP will correct me!)

I'm also not sure I understand your question about the digital vs print manual. They are identical. If you order say Christian Studies 1 - you get everything that would have been included in the paper plan (including tips, teaching helps, etc). It does add up to buy each subject digitally though.

If you want the materials (Christian Studies, States and Capitals, English Grammar Recitation, Greek Myths, Latina Christina) taught in one year, you need to find Third Accelerated https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...#configuration.

If you want them spread over two years, then the standard 3rd core is what you want.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

All libraries have the ability to check availability of titles online. I would start there. Look at each title to see how many copies are available, too. We live in a massive metro area with adjacent city totals over a million, and none of the titles in the 3rd grade American History set were available. The same was true for 4th grade, and because the books were not in the "system" our city can order from, they couldn't be requested for purchase either. Our interlibrary loan is $5/title, so it was cheaper to buy each book outright. If the MP set savings isn't enough, obviously you can explore RR, B&N with the educator discount, Amazon, eBay and thriftbooks. At this time, those of with resources and steady income are doing our best to patronize small businesses like MP, so consider that, too. When we buy brand new instead of used, it tells publishers to keep these excellent books in print.

With that said, my eldest has so enjoyed these titles! She frequently pulls them off the shelf to reread them, especially the Childhood of Famous Americans series. More than anything, I'm delighted that it's inspired in her a love of history and biographies. We've purchased 12 COFM books since being introduced, and many more are on birthday wish lists. Kids are probably going to be pleasure reading anyway, so make it these!

We got the paper manual, and any subject you order directly from MP comes with digital downloads. This is my 4th order directly from MP, and in addition to the hard copy of the CM, I got many individual plans with it.

I use the CS memory verse flashcards as weekly flashcard/review box separators. I have an 8ft whiteboard and 2.5ft chalkboard on which I write the CS memory verse, but I like having them anyway.

I hold strong doctrinal opinions as a protestant, and I have many Catholic friends IRL whom I love and respect, and nothing has jumped out at me as controversial. We're on week 29 of 3A (1yr pace), and so far so fabulous. People, places, & events remain the focus. This isn't going to be like a devotional, but I have seen beautiful fruit in some of the discussions my kids and I have had.
      Mama to 2, Married 18 years

SY 19/20
      DD 9-3A
      DS 6-SC C

Comment

You are right, Christine. We use the KJV because of the beauty of the language. It's elevation does prepare students for more difficult readings, such as Shakespeare. And our curriculum is totally ecumenical. Our goal is that everyone would be comfortable using it. We feel that the teaching of doctrine should be left to the family and the church.

Tanya

Comment

Awesome! What's the difference in the one year vs. two pace? Should I be concerned about which one to get? As he's my oldest I'm not sure how I would determine which level to order.

And thanks for the tips on the books. If we purchase any set it looks to be the American history/biographies. I LOVE books and my soon to be third grader is reading lots! (I'm so proud! Ma moment So it seems like a good investment as our library has been fairly hit or miss on the second grade read aloud availability. I'd rather just have them. While I'm pleased that he's reading so much, it's made me a little wary of some of the library selections. I simply can't vet every book he reads and I have found some content I'd rather he not get into at his age (or just the world view of the book that's not appropriate for his age level). I assume MP has done a good job of already vetting these they sell . . .

I agree that's it's important to patronize good businesses! I'd rather purchase directly from MP than another source. I would like to take advantage of the free shipping, but is there benefit to waiting until the July conference? Our family is hoping to make the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda U View Post
            Awesome! What's the difference in the one year vs. two pace? Should I be concerned about which one to get? As he's my oldest I'm not sure how I would determine which level to order.

And thanks for the tips on the books. If we purchase any set it looks to be the American history/biographies. I LOVE books and my soon to be third grader is reading lots! (I'm so proud! Ma moment So it seems like a good investment as our library has been fairly hit or miss on the second grade read aloud availability. I'd rather just have them. While I'm pleased that he's reading so much, it's made me a little wary of some of the library selections. I simply can't vet every book he reads and I have found some content I'd rather he not get into at his age (or just the world view of the book that's not appropriate for his age level). I assume MP has done a good job of already vetting these they sell . . .

I agree that's it's important to patronize good businesses! I'd rather purchase directly from MP than another source. I would like to take advantage of the free shipping, but is there benefit to waiting until the July conference? Our family is hoping to make the trip.
            Can you tell us more about your family? (how many kids, what month is your oldest child's birthday, have you used Memoria press before this year?? etc) I think though, in general, the recommendation from MP is to simply buy the standard core (content subjects spread over 2 years). There is quite a bit of a jump from 2nd grade to 3rd and MP heard over and over (and listened) that it was very difficult for homeschool families to complete the 3rd grade core. So, they did modify it to spread some of those subjects over two years to help families adjust.
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Hi, Amanda.

It is fine to wait until July to purchase. We always offer free shipping at our conference. I sure hope we get to have it and that you get to come. I look forward to lots of hugs that I am missing this convention season!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you for your willingness to help! We have three children. The oldest will be eight next week. Middle son will be five in May, and our little girl will be two in August. Second grade (this year) is our first experience using MP. While we have homeschooled since the beginning, I pieced together our curriculum before MP - although I have now learned I was more or less using many classical methods (phonics without pictures, memorization, books, math facts, cursive first, etc.) I had read about classical learning but wasn't sure how to achieve that in a practical way before MP!

As for the oldest, I think he's learning well. He's picked up reading but I will admit I didn't think it was going to happen. We were nearly done with the phonics book before he actually started reading. Now, even though his reading assignment may be a portion of a chapter, he usually completes it anyway. He's fantastic in spelling. In fact, he seems somewhat bored when we do the language/phonics lessons that are part of the spelling and literature guides. (I do them anyway, to be sure he fully understands the material.) But we don't do all the spelling exercises. He enjoys Latin and likes to use the phrases outside of the lesson time. He seems hit or miss with his math facts. While he rarely gets problems wrong, his speed could certainly use some improving. But I haven't pushed on that too much. I think I probably need to do more drill with him.

That's great the MP adjusted the material to fit the homeschool family. I don't want to be overwhelmed (ha!) but I do want to nurture his learning. This fall I'll be doing more with the five year old as well. I don't really do a curriculum for kindergarten, but we will be doing phonics.

Tanya, that's for the info about free shipping! We are definitely hoping to attend the conference.

Comment

Working...
                X