College of the Redwoods Pre-Algebra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College of the Redwoods Pre-Algebra

We have been using COTR for about two months and I can't seem to find anywhere that the book does review of previous lessons. I am used to constant review with Rod and Staff, plus the Prentice Hall Algebra I book that my daughter is using seems to have a fair amount of review. Am I missing something or is review not deemed necessary? If review it not deemed necessary at this point, are there any suggestions for working with students who would benefit from review work?
    Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 10 years

dd - 9th grade using MP and Homeschool Connections
    ds - 7th grade using MP

I too miss the built in review. I have done a couple of things. I made copies of the previous quizzes and trotted them out once a week. I also start each lesson by choosing a few questions from the previous section, putting them in the board, and having him solve them as a warm up to the new material. I do wish there was a dedicated review, but these small things have been helpful for us!
    Tracy
    My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
    MP rising 6A, 5A, and MPK

Comment

I am also running into the same issue with my 7th grader. We just finished the Chapter 1 test, and I can see that she is going to need daily review Rod-and-Staff style.

Thank you for those suggestions, Tracy! As with everything else, I just need to get the daily spiral review scheduled for the chapter so I can just put it on auto-pilot.
      Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2020-2021:
      10th grade DS: Mix of MP materials, MPOA, and local classes
      8th grade DD: 8M and 3rd Form with MPOA
      6th grade DD: Mostly 6M
      4th Grade DD: Mostly 4NU
      3.5 yo DS: Copious amounts of time outside beating on things with sticks; MP Preschool and Mom Extras 2-3 days a week

Comment

Ladies,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It looks like this weekend will be spent working on a review plan.
        Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 10 years

dd - 9th grade using MP and Homeschool Connections
        ds - 7th grade using MP

Comment

I made my poor kids go through *all* the odd exercises, using evens if I saw they were needed. There are so many exercises that you could keep quizzes and tests simply as review material now and then. But you are right, Melisa: all along I had this feeling I was missing something, because there didn't seem to be a strong review component - I just thought I was doing it wrong as usual But a lot of COTR is in itself review of concepts that should have been taught already - at least, for us only the true pre-algebra parts and graphing were completely new (we came to it from 6 years of Singapore Math.) I took it as one last opportunity to make sure some things were understood once and for all.
          DS (14)
          DD (13)
          DS (6)

Comment

Working...
          X