Latin vocab practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin vocab practice

My 3rd grade daughter is curntly doing Latina Christiana and is on track to start First Form Latin in the fall for 4th grade. She has her grammar forms down, but vocabulary is shakier. The vocab review games in the curriculum all seem geared to a classroom setting. I am looking for some ideas for fun vocab review (something other than just drilling) that she can do on her own. Thank you!

You are correct that mastering the vocabulary at each level of Latin is important. Like learning facts for math, memorization is the key. The best way to ensure this is achieved is by daily review and, yes, drill.

Every lesson whether in a classroom full of students or a class of one should begin with a recitation style comprehensive review of all vocabulary covered so far in the course. For the one student this will be a faster review. This should be done a couple of ways first where the English word is given and the student responds with Latin then again with the Latin provided and the student responding with English. Follow this with an individual whiteboard exercise practicing a few of the vocabulary again usually any challenging ones as well as ones from the current lesson.

Add to this warm-up a comprehensive recitation of endings learned as well. (-o, -s, -t, -mus, -tis, -nt etc.) All this can be oral first then written practice allowing for 2 quick reviews prior to the day’s lesson.

Some days you will want to review vocabulary in other ways since you can’t play games for additional review as a class would. Make a set of index cards with only one word on each be sure you have both Latin and the English translation of every word. There are many games to play with this set:

Concentration - where you form a grid with the blank side of the cards facing up. Take turns turning over two cars to try and find a match. You can play too!

For movement: Place several Latin cards around the house then show your child the English card and she retrieves they correct Latin match.

Lay the lesson’s vocabulary cards all face up on the table and say an English word and have the student point to the Latin then switch the other way. Or you show a card , either English or Latin, and they write the corresponding one on a whiteboard.

You could time how long it take your student to get through the flash card set correctly encouraging them to beat their time.

Quizlet is an app that provides practice as well if your child needs independent review while you work with another child as well.

All of this to say a variety of drill methods will be needed to reach mastery and consistent review will be key! Some methods will be more exciting than others but keep the goal in mind. I would always tell my children all athletes warm-up before playing their game!

I will try to think of other games to be played with a flash card set as I am sure some other moms will chime in here!

Comment

The only thing I will add is that Quizlet itself has some game features built into it. That’s as close to “fun” as we get with it - but the kids like it!

Our kids enjoy actual fun - that is, finishing school and heading off to make their own fun. 🤣

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 8
      DD, 6
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

*about to put kids to bed* - write english on one note card, Latin on the other. Play go fish and memory. (I have to have my teacher's manual out to play with my kids!!!) Sort cards according to their declension or verb tense. Line cards up on one end (Latin) and then on the other (English). Have child run back and forth making matches....... Line Latin cards up...call out the English and have child race to pick up the Latin word.
        Christine

(2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

You’ve got this Christine!

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
            You’ve got this Christine!
            Oh ha! I wasn't stressed when I posted this! I was literally putting them to bed! I saw the post and wanted to reply before I forgot! That's not to say that it has been all roses here this week! It's amazing MORE "free" time and we got LESS school work done this week! (a few logistical items being worked out, adjusting to everything, etc)
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by Handmaidl138 View Post
              I am looking for some ideas for fun vocab review (something other than just drilling) that she can do on her own
              A few ideas:
              • If she has siblings, the sibling can use the Latin vocabulary cards to choose words for Latin Apple Tree (hangman, but using a tree with 10 circles for apples). Siblings can challenge their sister even if they don't know Latin, or even if they can't read. As long as they know their ABC's, they're good!
              • Christine's movement activity can also be modified for independent work. Just have her make the Latin/English matches on her own and then she can use her official flashcards to check her work.
              • Another idea is to have her spell her Latin words with alphabet tiles (can just cut index cards or paper for home made "tiles"). Some kids are past this by that age, but not all, so it's worth trying.
              Quizlet and memory (both mentioned above) work well for independent review. Ad Block Plus (Chrome browser) does a great job removing the ads on Quizlet.

HTH!
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
              MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
              MPOA: High School Comp. II
              HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
              MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
              MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
              HSC: Modern European History

DS12
              7M with:
              Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
              SC Level 4

DD9
              3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
              Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
              SC Level C

Comment

On a related note, when starting First Form do you continue drilling the vocabulary from Latina Christiana? Or will it all be reintroduced?

Comment

First Form will continue with vocabulary. If you’ve mastered LC vocabulary you shouldn’t have a need to continue reviewing it in FF.

Comment

jen1134 ,

I did not know that about Chrome blocking ads better on Quizlet! Awesome! Thanks so much for mentioning that! These last two years they have been so much more abundant.

yay!
                    AMDG,
                    Sarah
                    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                    DS, 16
                    DD, 14
                    DD, 12
                    DD, 10
                    DD, 8
                    DD, 6
                    +DS+
                    DS, 2

Comment

Adding to the quizlet idea. I ended up getting the add free group purchase because it also lets me download the sets so they can work with them offline. I think I would be lost without Quizlet.

Maybe we should start a thread about our quizlet user names so that people can do a search for the stuff we've already spent the time setting up? It's been a real time saver for me to have located the work other Moms have already done and grab that set.
                      Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                      DS (MP2) - 7/8
                      DS (K) - 6
                      DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

We have mini slap swatters we use to "slap" the flashcard that is the right answer. I have her put out her LC flashcards on the Latin side, and I ask which word means X in English. Then we switch to the English side, and I ask what is the English translation for Latin word X. We go until it becomes fast and easy. Then we have a challenge round to see how fast she can get through both sides. You can slap with your hand, but sometimes their hands tire out and...the table starts to creak dangerously. You can make these "hand" fly-swatter-like slappers with wooden sticks from the Dollar Tree and a taped hand cut out of card stock.
                        Mama to 2, Married 18 years

SY 19/20
                        DD 9-3A
                        DS 6-SC C

Comment

Working...
                        X