OT: How is Everyone - Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: How is Everyone - Coronavirus

Just wanted to start a thread to talk since there is so much going on...I have been thinking about all of you on the forum, but I haven't been able to post...I work part time at Whole Foods Market in their bakery, but I have been working 45 hours a week because the store has been so busy...My husband and my youngest son are both sick at the moment, but are at home and have not been tested...They are doing better though, so that is good...

Are your communities greatly affected?...How are things going?...Are the schools around you still open?...The schools here are closed...
    Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
    DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
    DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
    DS -15 (7/06)

We are doing OK here in Southeast Michigan. I am getting over a head cold that my 14yo now has, but since none of the symptoms are like this Coronavirus I am certain it is just head congestion. Other than that everything is canceled...the governor canceled k-12 schools and any gatherings over 250 people, including churches. Not sure that it is constitutional to close churches, but it is out of my hands right now. Our library closed yesterday at 5:00 effective until April 6. We made a mad run to check out books when my daughter received notification at 4:10 of the closing (she works there part time). Swim practice is canceled, AHG is canceled, Trail Life canceled activities this weekend, but hasn’t canceled yet beyond that. The Archdiocese of Detroit canceled all public Masses. It is all very weird. Luckily, I had been following things over on another board and stocked up at Costco and Meier about three weeks ago. Things went nuts at the stores when they announced the first two cases in the state on Tuesday night. We are pretty much hanging out at home doing our work. We are trying to do extra so we can reschedule our trip to DC when this all blows over and all the public school kids are back in school. We were supposed to go the first week in April, but we are canceling ?. We have never followed their days off...who wants to take the day off school when there is nothing to do?

Stay safe and hope your family is better soon.
    Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
    15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Freshman
    DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
    DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
    DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Agreed. It seems people have lost their ever-loving minds.

My husband (a contractor) was told his contract might just end since he isn't able to "telework." Yesterday, he was sent home at 9 am and told not to come back for 4 days, but that he was forbidden from leaving the area (30 mile radius). All travel to Level 2 and 3 advisory areas has been banned for 60 days for his employer. Our family Europe trip is obviously not going to happen. Right now we're waiting for United Airlines to cancel all of the flights to and from Europe so we can get our money back, otherwise we're out $500+ on insurance. We can't even recoup the loss by rescheduling. We're just out the money. I'm not complaining, just praying. Delta has already done it, and if the airline cancels the flight, you do get refunded the money.

The grocery store shortages are a minor issue. We're making due and asking the kids to snack less and eat more at dinner to cut down on the fresh ingredients that are in such short supply at the stores. I mean, this morning at 6am there was no meat, dairy, fresh produce (save for some bagged apples, which we got), bread, pasta, Tylenol, ibuprofen or cough syrup! School just canceled for 2 weeks in my city, but in Northern VA, my brother in Manassas said school was canceled for a month! Church closed down, as did every single event my kids normally do (church clubs, historical house stuff, P.E. co-op). I hear rumors the library is closing, but I would want to avoid heavily-touched books in flu season anyway. None of this bothers us. We're happy to oblige to keep our elderly population safe.

We're definitely participating in the National Day of Prayer this Sunday. I am so humbled and thankful that our President has the courage to issue what many of our Founding Fathers have issued all throughout America's long history. We're praying for safety for all of our parents. All of ours are in their mid 70s with some underlying health conditions. We feel fiercely protective of them, and it's hard that they're so far away and so vulnerable. We've tried to send food through the major retailers like Amazon, Target, Walmart, Costco, and Sam's, but they all are failing. If you click on products, the products instantly say not available. Items disappear from online shopping carts, and for orders that have gone through, we've received cancellation notices hours later due to zero inventory. I can't drive to Arizona from the east coast, so we're just dealing with making sure we have copies of their Advanced Directives, DNR paperwork, preferences for life support outlined, and their planned hospitals they will visit if they were to contract it or seek diagnosis for symptoms. That sense of powerlessness is what's hard for so many children of the elderly.

Otherwise, we're doing 100% fine....minus this awful pollen!
      Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
      Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
      SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Everything got real here yesterday. Diocese announced dispensation for Mass for the next three weekends (Mass will still be celebrated but people are free to remain home if they’re more comfortable doing so; anyone who is sick with anything has been asked to stay home). All parish events, CCD, and Catholic schools are suspended until April 3rd.

An hour or two later, the area schools announced they’re closing.

Costco seems well-stocked here but smaller stores are having a hard time keeping up with demand. Aldi is limiting all canned goods to 2 per type. Our local butcher shop was well-stocked since most people don’t know it’s there.

I have one kid recovering from what appears to be a head cold. It tried to turn into croup but we were able to stave that off. Two others have a touch of it and I’m fighting it.

Our bishop said to keep anyone home who has signs of illness so E won’t be able to have her First Confession tomorrow as planned. We were going to take the healthy ones to Mass, but we might keep everyone home this weekend and watch/pray here since we have this circulating through the house. My thought is that passing on “just a cold” would be bad as it can temporarily weaken the immune system against other things.

We pulled the kids from altar-serving and when we are able to go to Mass it will be an early morning one here in town. Our usual parish is 30 minutes away and has families from two different counties so we figured we should stay in town for now.

The older kids have lost being able to visit shops downtown or go to stores for their hobby supplies, CCD, church potluck/playtime, youth group and Living Stations. Our oldest son also lost a big order for his business because the customer’s class had to be cancelled. He was going to be making the hat blocks she needed for it.

My parents are extremely high risk (age, high blood pressure, diabetes, and other chronic conditions). To be safe, we’re no longer visiting them but will stay in touch via online video/phone/text. We’ve been making sure they have the items and resources they need and are keeping my siblings in the loop (they’re in other parts of the country). My dad works for the local school system so he’s now home for the next few weeks. He’s taking over my mom’s care so they won’t have to have home health aides coming in daily. If things were to get bad there, all bets would be off and we’d take over for him.

We’re waiting to see how this impacts our business clients. They’re all in affected industries (conferences, schools, and logistics/supply).

Other than that, we’re just going about our normal, unsocialized homeschool life
        Last edited by jen1134; 03-14-2020, 11:01 AM.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
        DS18: Almost done!
        DS17: MP, MPOA
        DS15: MP, MPOA
        DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD9: SC3
        DD6: MPK

Comment

The toilet paper thing was what was so weird to me. We had it on the grocery list for the week anyway...so color me amazed when folks chose that as the thing to go nuts over. Praise God I tracked some down at Lowe’s, but in the mean time I was loading up on tissues just in case!

I did move my shopping up to Tuesday here, and followed what they said to do to stock up for a couple weeks’ supply on things - but then got comments from the check out person as though I was some crazy paranoid hoarder. In my best effort to control myself I informed him that a two week supply means different things to different people ??‍♀️ - if we face limits on canned goods even, how do we prove that we have a household of ten people without dragging everyone to the store? (Ok, rant over.)

We do have the concern for our parents too, but for us, it’s also personal, which is tough. My issues include Lupus, which sends me to the hospital for a fever anyway. With this...??. Just trying to stay calm over it all and remember that God already has our days planned out, and that every hair on our head is counted.

I did see the headline about the Italians singing to each other on their balconies. I love that. Such a wonderful example of the human spirit. ?

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post

I did move my shopping up to Tuesday here, and followed what they said to do to stock up for a couple weeks’ supply on things - but then got comments from the check out person as though I was some crazy paranoid hoarder. In my best effort to control myself I informed him that a two week supply means different things to different people ??‍♀️ - if we face limits on canned goods even, how do we prove that we have a household of ten people without dragging everyone to the store? (Ok, rant over.)
            This. Jeremiah said people kept giving him dirty looks if he picked up more than one of an item. We normally have to get more than one of almost everything we buy — simply because there are 9 of us!

KF2000 Sarah, I’m so sorry to hear that you’re dealing with Lupus. You’re in our prayers dear friend.
            Last edited by jen1134; 03-14-2020, 12:26 PM.
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
            DS18: Almost done!
            DS17: MP, MPOA
            DS15: MP, MPOA
            DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
            DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
            DD9: SC3
            DD6: MPK

Comment

As normal as can be here. Stocked up on groceries before our state had a confirmed case. Calendar is emptying pretty quickly, so I'm also taking the extra time to finish up some sewing and house projects, catching up on ironing, etc. The boys are out canoeing and enjoying the sunshine after weeks of rain.

Our schoolwork will continue as normal, although co-op classes may move online. I'm hoping we'll make even better progress, since we won't have the evening rush to get to extra-curriculars.

We organized the board games, painstakingly counting pieces in every last game to see what was missing (thankfully, not much!). We put them on a new bookshelf in the dining room, and I'm hoping we'll get some good play time in during this quasi-quarantine.

I am thankful everyone is healthy, and that we still have Mass available!
              Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys, teacher at St. Dominic Latin (FFL, TFL, 4FL, Traditional Logic 1&2), Memoria College student

2021-2022
              9th grade - a mix of MPOA, Vita Beata, Lukeion, and AOPS
              8th grade - 8M with modifications
              4th grade - 4A

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Glad to hear everyone is doing well! We just cancelled school at HLS for the week, but we are having our teachers teach online, and all students will be in uniforms at home, doing school by computer. So I think our biggest difficulty will be technology. It should be interesting!

Lots of churches are cancelled and public schools are cancelled for several weeks. GHC Ft. Worth had to end last night because the convention center kicked them out, so GHC has now cancelled Greenville and St. Louis. And IAHE has cancelled in Indianapolis. I'm waiting on TTD to start cancelling. I'm sorry not to be seeing our customers in person this season. We were all geared up to travel to you. But on the other hand, maybe I'll get some of those lesson plans done that you are waiting on!

I hope everyone stays well. I can't find toilet paper either. But thank goodness I had quite a bit before this craziness began! Never crossed my mind to check Lowe's!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                  GHC has now cancelled Greenville and St. Louis.
                  Bummed to miss you all this year, but grateful for the March shipping code as I had planned to place my order at GHC StL. So thank you for that!!
                  Katie

DS 17: Senior!
                  DD 14: 10th
                  DD 10: 6th
                  Twin DD's 8: 3rd
                  Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Me - I'm happy as a clam to have our busy lives simplified by the cancellation of so many things. I feel like it is forcing me into a Lenten Fast from activities. Praying that everyone stays safe!
                    Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
                    DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
                    DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

Be prudent! everyone, and take this extremely seriously. I am Italian, and my whole family lives in the middle of the worst. People had a hard time understanding the situation, politicians were vague, and the media these days just love to talk apocalypse no matter what. So, exactly like here now. For the longest time, though it was just mere weeks, it seemed like life could go on more or less normally. Nobody explained that hospitals were going to be overwhelmed if people just went on "more or less normally". I fear this is the same mistake so many are making here. There are differences here with Italy that may protect us, but who can be sure? This thing spreads like crazy, undetected. We know nothing for sure, not even that warmer weather will help, or that people cannot catch it twice. All I can think of is these poor people dying alone in isolation, with the police knocking on the door of relatives to announce a death. I know there are cute videos of people singing and making music from windows and balconies. It's not the whole story, though: my sister went to the grocery store at 7pm last night, and stood in line for hours to wait for her turn (stores can only admit so many people at one time, to avoid crowds, and what you can buy is limited); she went in, but it was near closing time (10pm), and people outside started rioting because they were afraid they'd be left out - they had to call the police, and my sister arrived home at midnight. People are scared, stripped bare to their core.
                      So again be prudent, and avoid going out and about needlessly: think of all the vulnerable people, and of all the doctors and nurses. And don't forget we have a National Day of Prayer tomorrow!
                      DS (15)
                      DD (14)
                      DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
                        Be prudent! everyone, and take this extremely seriously. I am Italian, and my whole family lives in the middle of the worst. People had a hard time understanding the situation, politicians were vague, and the media these days just love to talk apocalypse no matter what. So, exactly like here now. For the longest time, though it was just mere weeks, it seemed like life could go on more or less normally. Nobody explained that hospitals were going to be overwhelmed if people just went on "more or less normally". I fear this is the same mistake so many are making here. There are differences here with Italy that may protect us, but who can be sure? This thing spreads like crazy, undetected. We know nothing for sure, not even that warmer weather will help, or that people cannot catch it twice. All I can think of is these poor people dying alone in isolation, with the police knocking on the door of relatives to announce a death. I know there are cute videos of people singing and making music from windows and balconies. It's not the whole story, though: my sister went to the grocery store at 7pm last night, and stood in line for hours to wait for her turn (stores can only admit so many people at one time, to avoid crowds, and what you can buy is limited); she went in, but it was near closing time (10pm), and people outside started rioting because they were afraid they'd be left out - they had to call the police, and my sister arrived home at midnight. People are scared, stripped bare to their core.
                        So again be prudent, and avoid going out and about needlessly: think of all the vulnerable people, and of all the doctors and nurses. And don't forget we have a National Day of Prayer tomorrow!
                        Mrs Bee Thank you for sending this. It is so valuable to hear the truth of the situation, and not just what each news agency chooses to air. I have been watching news from overseas and then comparing it to our agencies - it’s definitely a different focus. And definitely more serious than what had been presented.

definitely praying tomorrow!
                        AMDG,
                        Sarah

2020-2021
                        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                        DS, 17
                        DD, 15
                        DD, 13
                        DD, 11
                        DD, 9
                        DD, 7
                        +DS+
                        DS, 2

Comment

The problem here in the US is the lack of testing...

Two of my sons and my husband have had symptoms over the past almost two weeks...My husband has had trouble breathing, sore throat, pains and coughing since Sunday...He is feeling better now than he was last weekend, but he is still having the chest issues and coughing...My middle son had fever, trouble breathing, sore throat and aches for over a week...He is almost back to normal now, just has a cough sometimes...My youngest son had a fever (it broke yesterday) and a sore throat...He is tired, but okay and ate some today...We were told not to go to the hospital unless the fevers got too high, or someone was unable to breathe without assistance; just stay home...So my husband has been home from work all week...They were also given a prescription to help with the chest issues...

If you are tested and it comes back positive, there is nothing that can be done; hospitals can only manage symptoms...If you need help breathing you will be given oxygen or put on a breathing machine if severe, but if you can breathe without assistance and your fever is not too high, and you were not travelling or in direct known contact with someone who already tested positive, you are advised to stay home...

There are two known positive cases near us, and two of my coworkers are in quarantine at home...They are not known to be sick, just in quarantine due to travel...Testing is limited, so it is reserved...People won't know if they have it because they will not be tested...

We are okay overall, so I am not worried...Just missed more school than I wanted to ;-)

The store has been crazy...They opened the doors yesterday and people were running in like Black Friday...We made double the amount of money in one day than on our busiest day of the year (normally Wed before Thanksgiving)...

It is good to hear how everyone is doing...
                          Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                          DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
                          DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
                          DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

Things are a little weird here in the Midwest, but not too extreme yet. Our schools are on spring break next week but no closures announced after that. I went to Mass today and the priest said there would still be Mass as usual, unless we hear differently.

Unfortunately, my husband went to ConExpo in Las Vegas this past week and came into contact with people from all over the world. So John Deere told all 200 employees to "self-isolate" for 2 weeks, which means he may or may not have been exposed and now it is a waiting game. Some of my friends whose husbands went are sleeping in the basement, etc but we already abandoned that. How is he supposed to realistically stay away from the rest of us for 2 whole weeks?

Unfortunately, our vacation in mid-April to MO is up in the air. We have until the 22nd to cancel our hotel, but the main attractions are now saying they'll be up and running by April 1. Do we dare chance it? Everyone says it's about to get a whole lot worse so I'm guessing those shows/Silver Dollar City will extend that closing. Crazy times we're living in. Stay safe everyone.

Comment

Hello.

We are still working at MP for the moment. If someone gets sick, we will have to quarantine, but for now, orders are going out and CSRs are answering phones.

We have no desire or plan to cancel Sodalitas. That could change, obviously. But I'm hoping this all blows over well before that time.

Have a good Sabbath everyone!

Tany

​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X