"Catching Up"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Catching Up"

What do you do about planning for high school if you get to the end of eighth grade, and you have only completed seventh grade? Due to a concussion, our daughter did not go through first grade this year. My husband is questioning if we should go with an easier curriculum so that our daughter can "catch up"; I need to set his mind at ease. We could move through an easier curriculum faster, but that doesn't many that we wold actually be any further along academically. The true is that she isn't that far behind, but rather that I am apprehensive about skipping first grade. My daughter probably knows 80% of what is in first grade, but that doesn't account for the other 20% or skills that need to be cemented. That said, if you actually made it to the end of eighth grade and had only completed seventh grade, how would you proceed? What challenges would this induce? Other thoughts? Thank you.

Oh my! I think there is where homeschooling is such a benefit. What a burden he is feeling. While MP has lesson plans and people use them, they are fully adaptable and people use them in various ways. I also want to point out that MP is a rigorous, advanced curriculum. If you "only" complete MP to their 10th grade core, you will likely have exceeded what her peers are getting in "regular" high school. When kids get to 7th grade, many families also start to diverge from the core and customize their children's classes according to the needs of the child. I don't know that you will find many dedicated MP users to stick to a core strictly in the jr.high age. As high school comes around there are probably even less. I might guess there are 0 homeschoolers using a "core" exactly as laid out. (not because the core MP has has problems, but high schoolers (especially homeschooled high schoolers) have varying needs and abilities, as do their parents.

Your child is in a very formative age right now, where the basics are the priority and meeting her where she is at needs to occur. If she does MP1 as a 2nd grader...there is no shame in that. (in fact, if you really polled MP families I would say at least 1/2 are using a core 1 grade below their child's grade). There are also lots of families that come in at 5th grade and customize their core to essentially be the 3rd grade core, with modifications for grade level math and spelling. If you take a look at the individual subjects you might notice a grade range on them (particularly literature, classical studies, science, etc)

Allow your daughter to heal and then work on those phonics/writing and math skills! The rest will come!
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

AMEN to everything Christine said! We held four of our children "back" when we switched to MP. Our 6yo daughter repeated Kindergarten with MP, our 8yo son (mild special needs) did the same, our 10yo went into the 4NU core, and our 13yo went into 7M with his younger brother. The daughter is now 9 and in 3A (which is essentially 4th grade), my younger son is 11yo and in Simply Classical Level 4 (I have no idea what high school will look like for him, but we're taking it one year at a time), my other son continues to just do the next level as it comes and will graduate just before his 19th birthday instead of just before his 18th (no biggie; boys need more time to mature anyway!), and my oldest is now almost 17 and chose to accelerate his high school studies. We allowed him do so as long as his grades didn't slip. They've actually improved! So it looks like he will graduate "on time" or within a few months of it.

My point is: every child is different. Every child needs different things. And the things they need will change many times over the years. Focus on what she needs now and let God handle the future.
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
      DS18: Almost done!
      DS17: MP, MPOA
      DS15: MP, MPOA
      DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
      DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
      DD9: SC3
      DD6: MPK

Comment

Thank you, ladies. You are a tremendous help!

Comment

High school is so varied anyway that often you can count 8th grade level work as high school IF done while in 9th. Look at math- MP gets to algebra in 8th. Taking algebra in 9th is perfectly acceptable. Classical Studies- 8th grade is Homer and that is perfectly acceptable as high school work. Somethings can be skipped- missing a year of Famous Men in history or not doing geography 3 or Christian Studies 4 isn’t a big deal.
          1st grade is awfully young to worry about this. So much will change by the time you get to high school. As you approach middle school you will naturally start to adjust things. Starting in 5th or 6th or even 7th, look to high school and plan where you want to be and then drop or speed up what you need to get there.
          another option is to redo 1st as a 2nd grader, do 2nd as a 3rd grader, do 3A as a 4th grader and then keep on the A track which in all subject except math, spelling and composition is a year ahead of the regular track putting your child on the proper level for age. Spelling ends before high school anyway- no biggie. Being a year “behind” in composition also isn’t a big deal as there is plenty of time to finish and two levels can always be combined at some point. That just leaves math and if she is working a grade behind like i said before it’s perfectly fine to do algebra 1 in 9th.
          Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
          DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
          DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
          DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
          (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
          DS, 20, Physics major
          DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
          DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
          DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

momgineer That makes since. Thank you.

Comment

I just wanted to add that if you are really worried about this you have 2 easy options. One is what I picked, which is to have my daughters graduate a year later than their peers (they have late July and September birthdays, so they are still graduating high school at 18 so it is easier for me to say this). The other is that you can use the MP Accelerated track once your daughter reaches 3rd grade. Essentially she does much of 3rd and 4th grade in 3rd grade. This is the way that 3rd grade used to be with MP, and the way that my oldest used it.
              JeJe Greer
              Mom to:
              Stella 9th grade with half MP and half Schole Academy classes
              Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

Comment

You have already received a great deal of wonderful insights here, but as I am facing exactly what you described in your initial post, I hope you will allow me to share how my husband and I are planning "high school" for our oldest. She is fourteen, technically "8th grade" this year, but working through 7th grade MP materials, except math (which she is more at a 5th grade level). We are planning to remain on that level for next year since she has been working on one of the Literature selections this year. (I posted previously on the forum about planning high school for her and was given helpful advice under "Need high school planning help for special needs 14 yr. old".)

In terms of planning, we have mapped out six years for our two older girls (my next child will be in 7th grade next year) and they are planning on graduating together. We have also considered dividing the next six years in 18-month sections so our oldest would be a "freshman" (and so on) for a year and a half before changing grades no matter where we are in the curriculum. She does best on a modified year-round schedule, so frankly, we don't make a point of what "grade" she's in. We just move into the next level of study when she finishes her current one.

We also have 7-year-old twins who are quite bright, but have yet to develop the skills with writing necessary for MP 2nd grade literature, so we're simply working at their individual paces and will continue with 1st grade products into next year. Because there is a great deal of flexibility built even into the Cores as how to pace 3rd and 4th grade, my plan is to have them ready for 5th grade "on time."

Your child is very young and you do have a great deal of time. It's absolutely true that MP is quite vigorous and even getting through 10th grade is going to put your daughter ahead of the average high school graduate. (Homer is read in the 8th grade core for MP, but I didn't read the Iliad and the Odyssey until my sophomore year of college as a literature student!)

While the Core Curriculums have products assigned to one specific year, in the catalog under the individual product descriptions, you can see the range of grades to which they apply, i.e. 1-4, 5-8, 9+, which might help you feel a little less stressed.

Best wishes,
                Laura

Laura H.

DD: 15, special-needs: language processing issues (modified 7/8M Core), aspiring illustrator, our "Meg"
                DD: 13 (8M with SFL & NBO Fall 2021), aspiring pediatric nurse, our "Jo"
                DD: 8 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Beth"
                DD: 8 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Amy"

Comment

To all these good posts I will add my own experience with an early "setback". When my oldest, a boy, was in 2nd grade and my second, a girl, was in 1st, I had a baby right after New Year's. For various reasons, it took me until late April to start dong school again with them, and only because of the specter of the tests we needed to take before August in order to "show progress"!! So, counting the Christmas break we had of course taken, basically 5 months of no school. Of course a lot had been forgotten, but we just did what was necessary, and kids at this age are incredible. Not too unsurprisingly, later on my daughter got to the point where she could work on the same things as her brother, so now I consider them both in 8th grade. She may well graduate a year earlier than if she had been in a formal school, and we'll have to think about what this means for her.

This is to show you that things that happen in the early school years don't necessarily determine the whole course in an unavoidable way: when you're doing 1st grade there is no need to worry about high school graduation requirements. Build your foundations well, and watch your daughter bloom: it will happen!

I would say that, if you are really concerned about the necessity of catching up, even just working through the summer with her will make a tremendous difference: I may be a little dense, but it has taken me *years* to rid myself of the idea that homeschoolers OF COURSE must replicate the usual school calendar at home! Forget it... you just do what is right for your kids and for your family, and if you're doing phonics in July the world will not end
                  DS (15)
                  DD (14)
                  DS (7)

Comment

This is great. Thank you all so much!

Comment

Working...
                    X