memorizing vocabulary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

memorizing vocabulary

My dd is using LC II for an intro to Latin for 9th grade. SHe has had LC I but she is having a hard time memorizing the vocabulary. Does anyone have any study tips or other ways besides flashcards to help in memorization? Also, how much time per day should the student spend working on memorization? Thank you.

Do you know what her primary learning mode is (visual, auditory, kinesthetic)? If she's having a hard time with flash cards, it may be that she's not a visual learner. For auditory learners, you can record the vocabulary on a tape or chant it aloud. For kinesthetic learners, writing out the vocab. list several times might help. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Good luck!

Comment

Illustrated Vocabuary Helps

Hi!

You might have your daughter make a separate vocabulary book similar to the picture dictionaries that younger children use. I have my younger ones illustrate the vocabulary word and place all similar words on the same page. For example, the words via, silva, aqua, unda and herba are all illustrated on the same page in a drawing of a lake with white caps near a forest with a road through the trees. Verbs are harder to illustrate, but simple stick figures can be used to get the concept across.

The book can be organized in any manner....in order of lessons, alphabetically, by subject. Usborne beginner foreign language "dictionaries" are similar "real" books available as examples as well.

Comment

i memorize 10 english words a day using a numbered list, to which i add 10 new words each day. i have memorized 100 words this way. Example: 1) however, 2) forget, 3) tin, 4) memory. When I add new words to the list, I pick up where I left off. For instance, if i have memorized 100 words, my next list of 10 words starts at 101, 102, 103, ... etc. This way, you can think, what was 35? Oh yes, 35 was 35) thumbnail.

Comment

Working...
        X