Lingua Angelica question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lingua Angelica question

Is Lingua Angelica scheduled in any of the grade levels? If not, when is a good time to start using it?

Whenever you start First Form Latin, Lingua Angelica usually is an add on. We just bought 4A, and it is scheduled as an end-of-week supplement. I think that would be MP5 (moderated).
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3
    Summer: First Start French I
    SY 22/23
    6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
    MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Hello.

Lingua Angelica begins to be officially scheduled in the Forms Latin Teacher Manual, beginning with First Form. It may be difficult to find the time for this, but if you can at least introduce the songs and prayers and use them in your recitation time, that would be a gift to your students. They won't be able to do a lot of the grammar in FFL, so don't stress it. Add the grammar on as your students progress through Latin.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        Hello.

Lingua Angelica begins to be officially scheduled in the Forms Latin Teacher Manual, beginning with First Form.

Tanya
        Tanya,

Where would I find this in my First Form Teacher’s Manual. I don’t see anything noted, but my manual is several years old. Is this part of a newer edition?
        Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 11 years

dd - 11th grade using MP
        ds - 9th grade using MP and Kolbe Academy

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
          Hello.

Lingua Angelica begins to be officially scheduled in the Forms Latin Teacher Manual, beginning with First Form. It may be difficult to find the time for this, but if you can at least introduce the songs and prayers and use them in your recitation time, that would be a gift to your students. They won't be able to do a lot of the grammar in FFL, so don't stress it. Add the grammar on as your students progress through Latin.

Tanya
          So if I wanted to start teaching the hymns and prayers with a 3rd grader (who will be doing MP2 with Prima Latina), what should I order? Are there parts of the student book that he could handle? The sample doesn't really help me much.

Comment

sweetest
            ​​​​​​​You could absolutely start teaching the songs for pronunciation and memorization. Each song has the sheet music and words with lines below to translate individual words the student picks up as vocabulary, declensions and conjugations are introduced. There might be fewer words he would recognize with PL than with LC or FFL, but that's the beauty of it. It's meant to be used over time as you learn words, sing and recognize what you're singing.
            Mama of 2, teacher of 3
            Summer: First Start French I
            SY 22/23
            6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
            MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
            SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

In the current teacher manual, it is on pp. x-xi. I think it has been there from the beginning, but I can attach it here for you. I feel like it was Cheryl's intention when she wrote FFL to have it in there, but maybe not. It seems like a lifetime ago.

Lingua Angelica Syllabus.pdf

Tanya

Comment

Yes! We introduce LA in 3rd grade at HLS. If you look at the sample student workbook online, you can see that 3rd graders can do the vocabulary drill because we give you a word bank, and they can do the translation so that they understand what they are singing/praying. We have our students write the English under each Latin word and then put it into an English order on the lines to the right. This is a nice introduction, and then you spend time memorizing, reciting, and singing together. Once they have these memorized, it will add beauty to your daily recitations. It's the parsing they aren't ready for, and you can go back to that when you get to the Forms. So you can revisit each song/prayer every year as your knowledge grows and complete the parsing. But for 3rd graders, the memorization (and to some extent an understanding of the meanings) is the focus.

Tanya

Comment

enbateau and tanya All this information is very helpful. I'm definitely going to incorporated this next year! We were working on Classical Catholic Memory before we started doing parts of MP1 (to get ready for MP2) and my son was learning latin prayers and songs... he actually asked me the other day why we weren't still memorizing Latin I think he's going to really enjoy this. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X