question about reviewing phonics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about reviewing phonics

I just started TS1(last week) and MSTT (this week) with my second grader. We will be doing a full MP2 and MPK core next year (I've already received these and will probably have lots of questions about those too as I sort through everything!!). I'm trying to get my second grader ready for the MP2 work and get my systems streamlined before I start working with two kids and the complete curriculum next school year.

I know I'm supposed to be leaving the phonics cards/common words out for display for the week (still working on how to implement this), but I'm not sure what I should be doing with them at the end of the week. Can I just file them back in with the rest, or should we be reviewing them (maybe with our recitation??). I'm just worried that we will need them for future lessons, we have already had overlaps with TS1 and MSTT that had me searching for a card that was already out.

I know I will need to keep out the phonics for my K'r next year, as he will need lots of review just to learn the basic sounds, but I'm not sure how necessary constant review is with an older child who is already pretty strong with phonics. Maybe I missed something in the teaching guide, but can someone share with me what you do with phonics cards from completed lessons?

Those flashcards are the perfect way to review but can be a challenge to organize! Yes, keep them out all week it is best to have them in a stack to review flashcard style each morning then display for quick visual reference later. At the end of the week file them back into the stack in numeric order- for your sanity- because you are correct in that the same card may be needed for both the spelling lesson and the literature one. I do suggest you try to keep the spelling and literature groups separate if you can while using them during the week. It is most important to keep the spelling cards together so pull and group them first. You can even have your student help you with the cards. Have them look for the specific card in the spelling as you look through the stack. Even the young student can be a great helper this way!

Comment

I only cycle back through phonics flashcards that aren't mastered. My definition for this is immediate recognition on sight with no hesitation and fluent reading of all of the words on the back.

For my little guy, I just add new flashcards to the previous week's cards and run through them all. My 2nd grader didn't need this, but if she did, I would do the same. It doesn't take too much longer to do them all.

As for storage and handling, I keep the whole stack sorted in numeric order with post-it flags on the back of title cards that help me find what I need by number. When I pull them out for the week, I sit them on my eraser/chalk tray for the lesson. When we're done reviewing them, they go on the shelf next to her books for that grade.

To help with overlap, I pulled literature phonics flashcards into the back pile and Traditional Spelling flashcards to the front pile, separating them on the chalkboard tray in half with any overlapping ones in the middle. At the end of the day, I slid them back into their 2 piles so the little one wouldn't abscond with any.Click image for larger version

Name:	15814312684802394330275586264194.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	119356
      Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
      DD 9-3A
      DS 6-SC C

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
        Those flashcards are the perfect way to review but can be a challenge to organize! Yes, keep them out all week it is best to have them in a stack to review flashcard style each morning then display for quick visual reference later. At the end of the week file them back into the stack in numeric order- for your sanity- because you are correct in that the same card may be needed for both the spelling lesson and the literature one. I do suggest you try to keep the spelling and literature groups separate if you can while using them during the week. It is most important to keep the spelling cards together so pull and group them first. You can even have your student help you with the cards. Have them look for the specific card in the spelling as you look through the stack. Even the young student can be a great helper this way!
        Thanks! That really helps. Filing them back will ease my anxiety about finding cards as we keep moving along!

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
          I only cycle back through phonics flashcards that aren't mastered. My definition for this is immediate recognition on sight with no hesitation and fluent reading of all of the words on the back.

For my little guy, I just add new flashcards to the previous week's cards and run through them all. My 2nd grader didn't need this, but if she did, I would do the same. It doesn't take too much longer to do them all.

As for storage and handling, I keep the whole stack sorted in numeric order with post-it flags on the back of title cards that help me find what I need by number. When I pull them out for the week, I sit them on my eraser/chalk tray for the lesson. When we're done reviewing them, they go on the shelf next to her books for that grade.

To help with overlap, I pulled literature phonics flashcards into the back pile and Traditional Spelling flashcards to the front pile, separating them on the chalkboard tray in half with any overlapping ones in the middle. At the end of the day, I slid them back into their 2 piles so the little one wouldn't abscond with any.Click image for larger version

Name:	15814312684802394330275586264194.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	119356
          Thanks. I love the idea of flagging the different sections to make it easier to find the cards every week (and put them away). I already have the cards stored in a box, with a lid, on a high shelf to keep them away from the two year old! I love the idea of putting the cards on the chalk tray, but mine is only about 8 inches long

I don't really have wall space for a pocket chart. I'm racking my mind to come up with something that I can put on top of the piano in the room, so I can leave the spelling phonics and words out for the week. I'm not as worried about displaying the reading phonics, and there are so many of them that it may be more impractical to leave them out!

Comment

Before we invested in our magnetic, porcelain 8ft dry erase board (it was under $300 off season, btw), I didn't worry about displaying them. I kept the two stacks next to her books on the bookshelf or in her basket.
            Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
            DD 9-3A
            DS 6-SC C

Comment

Working...
            X