Vita Beata 2020/2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vita Beata 2020/2021

Vita Beata hosts online discussion groups for MP materials for 3rd-12th graders, and we are beginning to plan for next year. If you are not familiar with this, we use exclusively MP materials and the discussions are moderated by MP parents. I do not say the classes are "taught" by the parents because they do not give assignments or grade work. This is a forum to add group discussion to your students' studies, but does not entirely replace you as the teacher. This is also not in any way an equivalent substitute for MPOA classes taught by master teachers. However, not everyone can afford MPOA, and this is a way to further enrich your students' MP studies through Socratic discussion groups.

The cost is $50 per year, per family, regardless of the number of classes a family participates in. There is no fee for moderators. We are lining up moderators for next year's classes now. Moderators and current families will register in March, and all new families will be able to register beginning in April. If you are not a current family, but wish to join and are willing to moderate a class, please PM me. If you wish to be placed on a list to be reminded of registration later, you can also message me. Please post questions to this thread so that others can see the answers. Our website should begin to be updated this weekend, but you can see what we offered this year at vitabeata.org.
    Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
    DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
    DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Do you know for 9th grade lit if you would do the old set with Canterbury tales or the newer set with hound of the baskervilles?
    2020-2021
    DS10: gr5- MP5, FFL(MPOA), fable (MPOA), LOF math, Westminster Shorter Catechism Workbook, Vita Beata Lit5 and FMOR

2019-2020
    DS14: gr9- MP8, FFL, fable/narrative (MPOA), R&S math 6, Myself & Others 3, Ligonier connect biblical studies, coop art/PE/Life Skills
    DS9: gr4- MP4, LC, intro to comp, LOF Math, Myself and Others 3, catechism workbook, coop art/PE/supplemental science

Comment

Originally posted by Julia View Post
      Do you know for 9th grade lit if you would do the old set with Canterbury tales or the newer set with hound of the baskervilles?
      This coming year, we're doing the old set with Canterbury Tales and Henry V.
      Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys, teacher at St. Dominic Latin (FFL, TFL, 4FL, Traditional Logic 1&2), Memoria College student

2021-2022
      9th grade - a mix of MPOA, Vita Beata, Lukeion, and AOPS
      8th grade - 8M with modifications
      4th grade - 4A

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Great, thanks
        2020-2021
        DS10: gr5- MP5, FFL(MPOA), fable (MPOA), LOF math, Westminster Shorter Catechism Workbook, Vita Beata Lit5 and FMOR

2019-2020
        DS14: gr9- MP8, FFL, fable/narrative (MPOA), R&S math 6, Myself & Others 3, Ligonier connect biblical studies, coop art/PE/Life Skills
        DS9: gr4- MP4, LC, intro to comp, LOF Math, Myself and Others 3, catechism workbook, coop art/PE/supplemental science

Comment

Originally posted by klwalukas View Post
          Vita Beata hosts online discussion groups for MP materials for 3rd-12th graders, and we are beginning to plan for next year. If you are not familiar with this, we use exclusively MP materials and the discussions are moderated by MP parents. I do not say the classes are "taught" by the parents because they do not give assignments or grade work. This is a forum to add group discussion to your students' studies, but does not entirely replace you as the teacher. This is also not in any way an equivalent substitute for MPOA classes taught by master teachers. However, not everyone can afford MPOA, and this is a way to further enrich your students' MP studies through Socratic discussion groups.

The cost is $50 per year, per family, regardless of the number of classes a family participates in. There is no fee for moderators. We are lining up moderators for next year's classes now. Moderators and current families will register in March, and all new families will be able to register beginning in April. If you are not a current family, but wish to join and are willing to moderate a class, please PM me. If you wish to be placed on a list to be reminded of registration later, you can also message me. Please post questions to this thread so that others can see the answers. Our website should begin to be updated this weekend, but you can see what we offered this year at vitabeata.org.
          Question: When we fill the registration form, should we pick all the forums that we're interested in, even just potentially, or only those we're sure we want the kids to be part of? Also, for how long do they meet, one hour each week? Thank you!
          DS (16)
          DD (15)
          DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post

Question: When we fill the registration form, should we pick all the forums that we're interested in, even just potentially, or only those we're sure we want the kids to be part of? Also, for how long do they meet, one hour each week? Thank you!
            Please register for the classes that you are fairly sure of. Famous men classes are 30 minutes, all the rest are 45 minutes.
            DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

Please register for the classes that you are fairly sure of. Famous men classes are 30 minutes, all the rest are 45 minutes.
              Thank you! I know I want to enroll them in one group for sure, for a second one I have in mind I'll wait to see if the corresponding MPOA class works with our schedule first: if they do the class we'll likely not have time to add the VB forum for it. We are a new family: I need to wait until next month to register, right?
              DS (16)
              DD (15)
              DS (7)

Comment

Thank you! I know I want to enroll them in one group for sure, for a second one I have in mind I'll wait to see if the corresponding MPOA class works with our schedule first: if they do the class we'll likely not have time to add the VB forum for it. We are a new family: I need to wait until next month to register, right?
                Yes, that should give you time to work out your MPOA schedule. Glad you will be joining us!

Comment

I apologize. I turned in registration forms for my children today, but we are a new family. Should I complete them again the first of April? Now I remember that we were supposed to wait, but forgot. We have all had the flu and I wasn't thinking clearly. Mea culpa!
                  Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 11 years

dd - 11th grade using MP
                  ds - 9th grade using MP and Kolbe Academy

Comment

Originally posted by Melisa Burke View Post
                    I apologize. I turned in registration forms for my children today, but we are a new family. Should I complete them again the first of April? Now I remember that we were supposed to wait, but forgot. We have all had the flu and I wasn't thinking clearly. Mea culpa!
                    It's ok, you are not alone, and a couple of others have made the same mistake! As returning families register, I am moving them to the top of the pile. I will confirm with you rebellious rule-breakers when registration opens up to new families.

Comment

Perfect! Thanks so much. We are excited to be part of this next year.
                      Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 11 years

dd - 11th grade using MP
                      ds - 9th grade using MP and Kolbe Academy

Comment

Originally posted by Melisa Burke View Post
                        Perfect! Thanks so much. We are excited to be part of this next year.
                        Me too! I was so tempted to send in that form!!
                        DS (16)
                        DD (15)
                        DS (7)

Comment

Me too! I was so tempted to send in that form!!
                          I have decided to go ahead and let new families register now! So many people have started, that it isn't fair to the rule-abiding folks. We are starting to add sections for the classes that are filling up.

Comment

I have decided to go ahead and let new families register now! So many people have started, that it isn't fair to the rule-abiding folks. We are starting to add sections for the classes that are filling up.
                            You're so sweet, thank you!
                            DS (16)
                            DD (15)
                            DS (7)

Comment

Will the 9th Grade literature discussions also cover the book of the middle ages? (It's not pictured, so I want to double check)
                              2020-2021

2019-2020

Comment

Working...
                              X