6A Geography vs. 13 Colonies & Great Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6A Geography vs. 13 Colonies & Great Republic

I see the 6A curriculum set comes with 13 Colonies and Great Republic instead of Geography. Is it too much for a student to do both? We have the benefit of a cottage school and only one child homeschooling so we have more time than some, but I don’t want to be overwhelmed by the workload. Geography is very important to us though and I feel our American history knowledge is very lacking so I am excited to study the 13 Colonies. Does HLS have Geography in 6th grade?

Tanya gave a pretty good answer to this in the 2019 Sodalitas video on Geography. She said there's been a lot of demand for something in that grade, but with review the next year (7A) with Geography III, it just wasn't as necessary. Horatius at the Bridge and The Trojan War and some other big pieces of lit take up a lot of bandwidth in 6A (HLS pace).

Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
    Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
    SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Hello.

Our geography in 6th grade at HLS is a review because our students have already learned to map the world in 3rd-5th grades. So we don't spend a lot of time with geography. But I have two ideas for you:

1) Your plan will work, but I would recommend that you just read the Guerber book for American history without the study guide. Instead, use the 200 Questions About American History for your guide and tests for this course, and use the teacher guide for Guerber to lead you in discussing the information with your student. This is how we do American history at HLS. Our students don't use the Guerber guide because we just don't have time. And we want them to memorize the 200 Questions, so we concentrate on that. This will shore up your time and allow you the time you need to add in some geography.

2) Do American history next year, knowing that you are going to do Geography III in 7A, so your student will get a thorough geography course then. It has a thorough review of mapping the world by continent, so if your student hasn't done any geography, this would be new information. But you can easily slow it down to learn the map work and also pick and choose how many countries you want your student to master. You could just choose the major countries from each continent if you don't have the time to master the mapping. Or let this course last two years so you aren't rushing through the map work since it isn't a review. This course is definitely more rigorous than Geography I-II, which are 100% map work. Geography III has lots of reading about culture, environment, religion, etc. in addition to the map work. There are comprehension questions on the reading, so it is a thorough course.

Let me know if you have further questions or I haven't been clear. I got interrupted several times while typing, so this could be gibberish!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you Tanya. This is very helpful! Just wanted to clarify your #2 option. Are you saying to do American history (200 questions about American History & Guerber book) in 7th along with Geography 3? We will be doing 6A next year, but are a year "behind" on Geography from the sequence. We did Geography I this year and would like to do Geography II in 6A. I'm leaning toward your option #1, but just wanted to make sure I understood.

Comment

I knew my answer was convoluted! I'm glad you asked! My no. 2 option would be to do American history in 6A and Geography III in 7A. If you do American without geography in 6th, you can do the Guerber study guide and make it a more robust course. Or you can do what we do at HLS and just do the 200 Questions study guide without the other. Many homeschoolers do both guides because they have more time than we do and they want more American history work.

Now that I know you did Geography I this year, I feel even more comfortable about option 1. Since we don't spend a lot of time in the areas of the world we learn in Geography II in our study of western civilization, you can easily do that alongside American history, and if you don't master all of Australia or South America, it's not as big a deal for upper school as not having a good handle on Europe and the Middle East. So I agree that you continue on with Geography II alongside your study of American history.

Hope I cleared you up! If not, feel free to ask again!

Tanya

Comment

Would it be possible to just use the 200 questions about American History Flashcards and not the book? Or is that a bad idea?

Comment

Working...
            X