Teaching FFL without DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching FFL without DVD

Has anyone successfully taught FFL without the DVDs? Affordability is not the issue. I just found that with LC, we went many weeks without watching the DVD because my eldest couldn't pause our DVD player fast enough to answer the questions, so she usually never even tried. I had to do all of the review orally anyway. Also, I found I had a better pulse on what she knew and didn't know when I just taught the lesson and did all the oral drilling and examples. She also enjoys my interaction and coming up with sentences to translate. It really has become her favorite subject when we do it together.

Am I going to be missing any explicit or helpful teaching in FFL? I read a thread that said the teacher's manual of FFL does NOT have the helpful grammar notes that LC has, that it is only an answer key. That would be very scary to me, as I find those key grammar focus notes and explanations so helpful.
    Mama to 2, Married 18 years

Summer:
    DS 6-MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
    Fall 2020
    DD9-4A

There's a FFL Teacher Manual ...... which has the pages from the student text, and all sorts of teacher notes all around. It's even numbered. 1 Recitiation, 2) Vocabulary, etc.

Then, there's the ANSWER KEY --- which is the student workbook pages and quizzes/tests, with the answers.

I've taught a few lessons at home (My children take Latin at our Cottage School, and I have to pinch hit if they're sick on class day), and I've not had to use the DVDs. I simply follow every step of the TM.
    Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Out of the nest, small business owner
    DD2 - 14 - 9th grade Cottage School Diploma Program/MPOA
    DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School
    DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School
    DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School
    DS6 - 6 - MP K

Comment

You would be fine to teach without the DVD. There are TWO teacher books: the Workbook Key which has the answers for the student workbook, the grammar questions for recitation, and vocabulary drill lists for recitation AND the Teacher Manual which walks you through the lesson like in LC.

FWIW: I let the DVD teach (she doesn't pause it; I think it's fine to let the questions just be "thought triggers") and then we do the recitation/grammar questions/oral drills together during the week. She's starting to do most of the workbook herself, but we were doing it together until she was ready.
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
      DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
      DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
      DS11: SC 4
      DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
      DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
      DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

HA! DiannaKennedy and I were typing at the same time. Same thing happened to Sarah and I on FB the other day, LOL!
        Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
          You would be fine to teach without the DVD. There are TWO teacher books: the Workbook Key which has the answers for the student workbook, the grammar questions for recitation, and vocabulary drill lists for recitation AND the Teacher Manual which walks you through the lesson like in LC.

FWIW: I let the DVD teach (she doesn't pause it; I think it's fine to let the questions just be "thought triggers") and then we do the recitation/grammar questions/oral drills together during the week. She's starting to do most of the workbook herself, but we were doing it together until she was ready.
          Jennifer, I see you're teaching First Form to your 9yo. How is that going in regards to writing stamina? I'll have a 9yo in the fall as well, and she's doing so well in 3A, but I know that the writing load moves up to something like 4 days of workbook pages. I haven't mentally figured out where we're going to cut back on writing. This year in 3A we completely dropped writing the memory verse and NAC. We do 100% of the lit guides, 2-3 written responses for CSI and GM (but all vocab), and all the writing for Latin, spelling, poetry, EGR (but no written quizzes), Astronomy and Math. Was it a hurdle you just pushed past together? Is there still dictation? It didn't look like there were any pages onto which to copy the words every day. The Sodalitas Latin video said something about the students writing in their spiral notebook the words on Day 1, then they do a page a day of workbook, then there's the quiz, then review. Does that sound about right?

I was thinking about adding in the streaming (I saw it was $10 extra if you bought the complete kit with the DVDs) so she could do it at our laptop and just hit the spacebar to pause it. Does the interface seem to allow rapid pausing for streaming? My eldest is so type A that she kind of shuts down if she can't "keep up" and retrieve an answer before the next question is asked.

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if that poster was just wrong or if it was outdated.

Summer:
          Fall 2020
          DD9-4A

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post

Jennifer, I see you're teaching First Form to your 9yo. How is that going in regards to writing stamina? I'll have a 9yo in the fall as well, and she's doing so well in 3A, but I know that the writing load moves up to something like 4 days of workbook pages. I haven't mentally figured out where we're going to cut back on writing. This year in 3A we completely dropped writing the memory verse and NAC. We do 100% of the lit guides, 2-3 written responses for CSI and GM (but all vocab), and all the writing for Latin, spelling, poetry, EGR (but no written quizzes), Astronomy and Math. Was it a hurdle you just pushed past together? Is there still dictation? It didn't look like there were any pages onto which to copy the words every day. The Sodalitas Latin video said something about the students writing in their spiral notebook the words on Day 1, then they do a page a day of workbook, then there's the quiz, then review. Does that sound about right?

I was thinking about adding in the streaming (I saw it was $10 extra if you bought the complete kit with the DVDs) so she could do it at our laptop and just hit the spacebar to pause it. Does the interface seem to allow rapid pausing for streaming? My eldest is so type A that she kind of shuts down if she can't "keep up" and retrieve an answer before the next question is asked.

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if that poster was just wrong or if it was outdated.
            Well, we got a late start in the fall and then my health has thrown us some curveballs so we're only on Week 7. We do Christian Studies and Mammals (we swapped science) as read/discuss. Currently we're only doing written answers for quiz/test questions in Literature and Greek Myths, but we'll slowly ramp up on those during the year. She does Intro to Comp, but we spread it out over three days simply because I don't have enough time to do the whole lesson on one day. She answers the questions independently one day, the second day we review/discuss/edit, and then she copies the edited version into her book on the third day. She writes everything in EGR and does NAC. Since she's technically young for First Form, we started out at a slow pace, only doing one section a day (not the whole workbook page). So each lesson took 2-3 weeks. It's laid a great foundation for her understanding-wise. We're now in lesson four and she wants to go more quickly, doing a page a day.

I don't know if any of that helps you though!
            Jennifer

Comment

I’ve taught through Fourth Form twice with no DVDs! I had no Latin background other than MP books. The teacher manual is awesome! It explains things so well. I’ve never memorized all the vocabulary or grammar forms or grammar rules, but every lesson I open the TG and read it through and it makes completely enough sense to me to teach and explain it to my kids.
              now, I do feel my kids would learn Latin much better from a better teacher (online or in person class not the DVd)once they get to Third Form. I’ve not chosen to invest the time or money though. We do well enough. I am extremely confident teaching First Form and very confident teaching Second Form. Starting in Third Form I know that a more experienced teacher could guide them better in nuances but I can ensure they memorize what they need and understand the basics of the grammar taught. I just can’t answer all their specific questions.
              I will say I prefer teaching without a video teacher. I don’t have time/energy to watch a lesson every week and I don’t want them watching without me because then I have no idea what they have learned. When I teach, I know what was taught and what they had questions about. I sit with each child daily (currently only two Latin students Third and Henle 2) and go over their work personally and help them drill.
              as far as writing- it’s probably not ideal but I let my son do all Latin to English drills and translations out loud. He has to write all English to Latin work though so ensure proper spelling and endings. He also drills vocabulary orally rather than writing it all out. So far it has worked. Oral drill is enough for him. My daughter has to write everything to aid her retention. Not my son. He hates writing so this is our compromise. As long as he gets all A’s in quizzes and tests he can do vocabulary orally and Latin to English orally.
              Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
              DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
              DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
              DS, 21, chemistry major
              DS, 18, Physics major
              DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
              DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
              DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

I have taught all the way through First Form and we are finishing up Second Form without the DVDs. I have no Latin background. My son is doing well on his tests and in his workbook. When he has trouble understanding, I have been able to know what concept he has not applied and help him fix his work.
                DS10 - 5A + Math Mammoth 6
                DS7 - 2nd Core + Math Mammoth 3
                DD3 - Read Aloud and Songs; Art and Tricycles

Comment

Thanks, ladies! I've been a stickler about the writing, but we do almost all of our after-class review orally as well.

One more question: did anyone get the wall charts? How about skipping Lingua Angelica? We only sang Christus Vincit and Dona Nobis Pacem, looking at its vocab a handful of times, so LA has an air of not-gonna-happen. What was helpful outside of the flashcards?

Summer:
                  Fall 2020
                  DD9-4A

Comment

Thanks, ladies! I've been a stickler about the writing, but we do almost all of our after-class review orally as well.

One more question: did anyone get the wall charts? How about skipping Lingua Angelica? We only sang Christus Vincit and Dona Nobis Pacem, looking at its vocab a handful of times, so LA has an air of not-gonna-happen. What was helpful outside of the flashcards?
                    The Latin Recitation Handbook/Cards have been helpful for us. I note the week's grammar questions in the handbook as well so I only have to reference that book when we do our recitations (the pic is from the Second Form section; my 13yo is in that right now)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	119266
                    I keep the cards in a box and place the currently assigned cards in the front. The kids can use them to study and I can use them for leading recitation. If your box can fit the vocabulary cards as well, then you would be super streamlined!

When we drill the grammar questions, I use the student book and highlight troublesome questions as we go. Then, she's able to study the highlights independently before or after the day's workbook assignment.
                    Jennifer

Comment

We did not get wall charts but we got the desk charts which are the same but smaller. I put them in page protectors in a binder for easy reference. The Latin Grammar for the Grammar Stage book is a nice reference too.
                      We did not do Lingua Angelica. I love the hymns but it was just too much for me to fit in. When my son needed to slow down mid Third Form due to frustration we spent a few weeks doing some Lingua Angelica and Lingua Biblica just to keep some Latin in our day as we “deschooled” from Third Form for a trimester. But when we are actively learning Forms I don’t pull out LA.

Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                      DS, 21, chemistry major
                      DS, 18, Physics major
                      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
                      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Working...
                      X