Advice planning language arts for next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice planning language arts for next year

I'm trying to plan language arts for my youngest for next year (I'm trying to plan everything for next year - but one thing at a time) ... My youngest is in 4th, but he was a bit language delayed and was new to MP this year so he did traditional spelling 2, intro to comp, a little bit of grammar recitation 1 (but slowly), and completing his language arts book from last year -Language Lessons for a Living Education 2 -in place of core skills language arts.
    I plan on him taking Fable online with MPOA which, I understand, includes grammar. I'm having trouble figuring out where he should be placed in spelling and core skills language arts. I would appreciate any advice.
    2019-2020
    DS14: gr9- MP8, FFL, fable/narrative (MPOA), R&S math 6, Myself & Others 3, Ligonier connect biblical studies, coop art/PE/Life Skills
    DS9: gr4- MP4, LC (1st half), intro to comp, LOF Math, Myself and Others 3, catechism workbook, coop art/PE/supplemental science

Core skills language arts is simply grade level. You could choose either grade 3 or 4. Your choice.

Spelling would be grade 3 spelling workout if he has successfully done TS2.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Ok, that's what I was guessing with spelling.
      With language arts- so there's not, say a specific prerequisite skill set of grammar knowledge that needs to be achieved before core skills 3, 4, 5? The grammar, Latin, and comp level he'll be doing next year will be what the regular 4th grade package suggests, so I think maybe 4 would go along best?
      2019-2020
      DS14: gr9- MP8, FFL, fable/narrative (MPOA), R&S math 6, Myself & Others 3, Ligonier connect biblical studies, coop art/PE/Life Skills
      DS9: gr4- MP4, LC (1st half), intro to comp, LOF Math, Myself and Others 3, catechism workbook, coop art/PE/supplemental science

Comment

Are you doing 4M or 4th for New Users? I am not familiar with LLfLE, but English Grammar Recitation I does pair nicely with Core Skills 3. It's a very simple, affordable workbook. Personally, I find the EGR I workbook wonderful! My 3rd grader often wishes it had more activities. She never begs for more Core Skills 3, but it's usually easy enough that she can do it independently. Having not ordered my own 4th grade yet, I can't say whether it repeats topics in CS3.
        Mama to 2, Married 18 years

Summer:
        DS 6-MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
        Fall 2020
        DD9-4A

Comment

If I remember correctly, Fable with MPOA actually includes EGR. If he's needing to take EGR more slowly, I would be inclined to not use MPOA for that class — unless you can discuss it with Mr. Piland and obtain adjusted requirements for that portion based on his history of language challenges. Otherwise there will be no way for him to slow down if needed. With this being the foundational EGR course, that could set him up badly for future years.
          Last edited by jen1134; 02-06-2020, 07:17 PM.
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
          DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
          DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
          DS11: SC 4
          DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
          DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
          DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

This year he is in 4th new users - but we are modifying. He has been doing egr1 slowly but I'm actually not sure he couldn't go faster - everything has just been a lot especially with the new curriculum so it gets dropped a lot. (I think part of the reason we are having to slow so many things down is that the new users pace speeds several things up) MPOA fable does include egr1 - but I figured that would be a plus - he could get a review of what we make it through and then finish the material. And I think by next year he will definitely be fine with the full pace - I fully expect to need to provide some supports to the online class at this stage with him, of course. If core skills 3 goes well with egr1, maybe I'll go with that to give him a lighter load there and avoid over taxing him.
            2019-2020

Comment

Core Skills should be used at the students grade level. So, if he will be in 5th next year, I wouldn't use grade 3. I would instead use grade 4 or 5. It is scheduled at a single page per day throughout the year. It is usually done in like 5 minutes.

DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)

We've completed:

Comment

So, I would go with fourth grade level core skills.

Honestly, grammar is grammar. Every year starts with the same basics and review. Just the usage of those skills increases each year. The pictures mature up. The sentences to copy/ edit mature up too. So, he won't be reading simple phonetic sentences about the zoo.

If you compare list of contents pages on the different levels, they're all very similar. The topics are the same. It's just content matures. Does that make sense?

We've completed:

Comment

Yes, that makes sense. I think I'm starting to get the idea. Thank you.
                  2019-2020

Comment

Working...
                  X