Kindergarten Reading and Math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindergarten Reading and Math

Quick question. Next year, I will be using the Kindergarten core with my youngest. We have already started reading instruction with All About Reading because I already had it for my older kids. Will it be a huge deal when we begin the core in the fall? Would I just order the core MINUS the phonics pieces?

Also, math. She’s already been using Math U See Primer for a few months now and is progressing well, although we will move forward with Rod and Staff next year (again, I already had Math U See from my previous kiddos). Will I still be able to go forward with the core pretty well? I really don’t want to piece hers together from the start like I’m having to do with my older ones (because we started MP later in the game). I just figure it will be better and more cohesive to start with cores for the beginning with her. 😊

How far in AAR are you? Is the child reading CVC words easily and fluently? Can the child spell/write all those words easily? Additionally silent e is covered in FSR D. You might be able to begin with FSR D, but it wouldn't be too much to add the books A-C for additional writing practice, if you have not been doing AAS as well.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

howiecram We are just in the beginning stages, but I didn't want to spend more than I have to right now. She's blasting through the math and begging for school all the time, so I can't hold her back. I just want something now that I can do with her and I can't afford to buy the MP Core yet. I'm not planning on doing AAS with her...

Comment

First Start Reading contains Books A, B, C, and D. The letters and CVC words are in A,B, and C. So you could move quickly through those if she can read CVC words.
        Kindergarten math starts with numbers, then addition to 7, less/more, counting money, time, and a little subtraction.

Comment

GingerG ....Thanks so much! Maybe I could just use it as a review.

Comment

I personally think it would be very hard to sub out the phonics program in the MP K core plans.

Another option if you have phonics and math covered is to JUST buy the Kindergarten Enrichment & Recitation. I would add in a handwriting program, and I think you will have K covered.
            Cathy aka The Attached Mama
            2019-2020
            DS 12, 7th Grade
            DD 11, 6th Grade
            DS 5, K

Comment

TheAttachedMama ....thank you!!

Comment

You are very welcome.

We used Logic of English and Singapore/RightStart combo math this year for kindergarten. Everything is going fine just now. This is what we do:

1). Opening Recitation (using the digital MP K recitation plans)
                2). Phonics/Handwriting/Reading/Grammar Lesson (using Logic of English)
                3). Math Lesson (using Singapore or RightStart)
                4). Enrichment
                Day 1: Christian Studies (Read bible story, use MP Christian Studies Enrichment plans) + Introduce "Read Aloud" / Theme for the week
                Day 2: Read Aloud (2nd time) + Music / Art / Craft Day
                Day 3: Read Aloud (3rd time) + Poetry Day. (Review music and art)
                Day 4: Read Aloud (4th time) + History & Culture Enrichment (Review music and art)
                Day 5: Read Aloud (5th time) + Science (Review music and art)

Of course, this is the "ideal plan". If I do not get to enrichment on any particular day, I DO NOT STRESS or have any guilt. All I can do is try my best each day, and as long as I know I am working hard and being a good steward of my time, I don't stress if I don't check off every box in the enrichment package. That is frosting on the cake.

----
                FWIW--It is actually very easy to substitute any math program in any of the MP cores. However, I feel like phonics and reading are a huge part of the early cores (K-2).

My kids are quite asynchronous: They are ahead in math, but they all have dyslexia which means they often lag behind in reading and spelling. They need a lot more reading and spelling practice than even the simply classical cores provide---however, they do just fine with the other pacing of the cores. For that reason, I have found the first several cores are very difficult for them to do as is. I have to use a different phonics/reading curriculum for them. THEN, around 3rd or 4th grade (once they are finished learning *how* to read), we switch to a complete core (using a different spelling and math which are easy one-for-one substitutions). It has been very peaceful and nice!
                Cathy aka The Attached Mama
                2019-2020
                DS 12, 7th Grade
                DD 11, 6th Grade
                DS 5, K

Comment

TheAttachedMama .....That is actually very helpful!! Thank you! I’m really just trying to save money and use what I already have the first year. Times are tight right now!

Comment

TheAttachedMama ....I feel you on the dyslexia. My 13 yo son is severe. I’m actually obtaining my dyslexia certification right now to become a certified tutor at his center. It’s very tough some days!!! I have to piece his together from the different cores.

Comment

Working...
                    X