Plan for grade 5-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan for grade 5-8

Hello! I could use some help planning out the next 4 years for my daughter. She is 10, but "only" in the 4th grade. We chose to stick with your local school district recommendations and the cut off for K was August 1st and her birthday is at the end of August. I do believe she could be college bound, but can not operate at a core pace. We had her tested for learning issues when she was 6. While it showed no "actual" learning disability, she did score "asynchronous" -She had scores that were sky high, but she also had scores that were super low (like 14). Her IQ put her at high intelligence. So, she is a bright girl, but her working memory was quite low. She was diagnosed with "ADHD". We have tried to move at a "MP" pace and after 3 weeks, we have returned to simply classical. (We have tried this 3 times over the last 5 years) She is working through Simply Classical 5/6 at the moment, which eliminates almost all the student guides (they are done orally and we are encouraged to have them write a few answers). We did add the literature guide and she is able to do almost the full 2 pages. (we are doing the modeling technic - she is still not ready to write the answers on her own - at least to the more challenging questions.) I have had her doing the quizzes and tests in the literature guide as well. I experimented with the first test in Charlotte's Web and she could answer ALMOST all the questions except the one that said "Why did Wilbur say sometimes you take a gamble on friendship". (or something along those lines.) Even though we did the question orally, modeled the answer in the study guide during the lesson, AND during the review worksheet, she could not answer this question. This one was met with tears. "I know the answer but I can not write the answer". We did work through that one together, but I expect most questions like this to be a challenge and for me to help her. I accept this and will continue to help and support while she needs it. The trouble is she needs more support than the average 4th/5th grader and I have two other kids that are still in the "support" stage....so "getting it all done" is a challenge at the moment. I don't think at this point that she will fit nicely in a core so I could use some help to make sure I don't overbuy or miss a subject, etc.

From 5/6 here's where she will be at. Mr. Popper's Penguins will not be done. Greek Myths not started, EGR 1 1/2 completed, States and Caps 1/2 completed, CS1 completed, Math 4 completed, Latin 1/2 of LC completed.

Here are my thoughts, but I could use some guidance.

Math - She's currently doing Math 4 and getting 90% or higher (averaging 95%). Her mistakes are careless, not a lack of understanding. I expect her to do the MP sequence of math, with pre-algebra in 8th, but we'll see how 5th and 6th grade math go. We'll just keep moving forward on this one, no guidance needed.
    Spelling - she's doing the Spelling Workout scheduled in 3rd and doing fine. So, I'll have her do the next level...again no guidance needed here.
    Writing - we'll begin the Classical Comp series..and just move forward... got that one.

Here's the guidance questions:

Geography - we will do 1, 2 and 3 in 6th, 7th and 8th. (she is still working through States and Caps and she'll need grade 5 to finish) - does anyone see a problem with this sequence? Do I need to hurry her along in the States and Caps? I just need something to be "easy" for her and this she can do alone....I think she'll need some help with the geography text, so I'd rather wait.
    Literature - She needs to do 1 less book than scheduled in the core. I could save the extra book for summer work, but I won't bank on that. So, what books would you schedule for grades 5-8? (I plan on waiting for Illiad and Oddessy until the 9th - which I know are scheduled in Literature but I don't think she'll be able to do those books AND literature - but we'll cross that bridge at that time)
    Christian Studies - I think we'll do Christian Studies 2 and 3 in 5th and 6th. I plan to use Catholic text for the remainder of her years. I'd love to hear compelling information about CSIV and other MP Christian Studies subjects though. I just don't know enough, but again I need something for her to do that she can do on her own..and I was thinking this was the place?
    Classical Studies - she still needs Greek Myths...we couldn't work that in this year. So, suggested sequence for 5, 6 ,7, 8??
    LAtin - I don't need guidance per say on this. She will finish LC in 5th and then we will just work through the Forms as much as we can by the 8th grade. I suspect she may only get through First, maybe Second. She is doing well with the 2 weeks per lesson pace in Latin, but the grammar is still the tricky part. THIS is my big question. If she only "makes" it to First/Second form by the end of 8th grade, she won't be able to do the EGR as scheduled, because her grammar will be too far behind. Any suggestions here? Just do R&S grammar instead of EGR? It seems like overkill, but this is her weakness, so maybe she'll just need it. I like EGR, but I don't know if it will be enough before high school? (I don't really know it isn't enough, but that's my biggest hurdle).

Science - I plan to do Physical Science in 7th and Earth in 8th...what do you suggest for 5th and 6th? She's only done Mammals.

Thanks!
    Last edited by howiecram; 01-31-2020, 10:29 AM.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    Hello! I could use some help planning out the next 4 years for my daughter. She is 10, but "only" in the 4th grade. We chose to stick with your local school district recommendations and the cut off for K was August 1st and her birthday is at the end of August. I do believe she could be college bound, but can not operate at a core pace. We had her tested for learning issues when she was 6. While it showed no "actual" learning disability, she did score "asynchronous" -She had scores that were sky high, but she also had scores that were super low (like 14). Her IQ put her at high intelligence. So, she is a bright girl, but her working memory was quite low. She was diagnosed with "ADHD". We have tried to move at a "MP" pace and after 3 weeks, we have returned to simply classical. (We have tried this 3 times over the last 5 years) She is working through Simply Classical 5/6 at the moment, which eliminates almost all the student guides (they are done orally and we are encouraged to have them write a few answers). We did add the literature guide and she is able to do almost the full 2 pages. (we are doing the modeling technic - she is still not ready to write the answers on her own - at least to the more challenging questions.) I have had her doing the quizzes and tests in the literature guide as well. I experimented with the first test in Charlotte's Web and she could answer ALMOST all the questions except the one that said "Why did Wilbur say sometimes you take a gamble on friendship". (or something along those lines.) Even though we did the question orally, modeled the answer in the study guide during the lesson, AND during the review worksheet, she could not answer this question. This one was met with tears. "I know the answer but I can not write the answer". We did work through that one together, but I expect most questions like this to be a challenge and for me to help her. I accept this and will continue to help and support while she needs it. The trouble is she needs more support than the average 4th/5th grader and I have two other kids that are still in the "support" stage....so "getting it all done" is a challenge at the moment. I don't think at this point that she will fit nicely in a core so I could use some help to make sure I don't overbuy or miss a subject, etc.

From 5/6 here's where she will be at. Mr. Popper's Penguins will not be done. Greek Myths not started, EGR 1 1/2 completed, States and Caps 1/2 completed, CS1 completed, Math 4 completed, Latin 1/2 of LC completed.

Here are my thoughts, but I could use some guidance.

Math - She's currently doing Math 4 and getting 90% or higher (averaging 95%). Her mistakes are careless, not a lack of understanding. I expect her to do the MP sequence of math, with pre-algebra in 8th, but we'll see how 5th and 6th grade math go. We'll just keep moving forward on this one, no guidance needed.
    Spelling - she's doing the Spelling Workout scheduled in 3rd and doing fine. So, I'll have her do the next level...again no guidance needed here.
    Writing - we'll begin the Classical Comp series..and just move forward... got that one.

Here's the guidance questions:

Geography - we will do 1, 2 and 3 in 6th, 7th and 8th. (she is still working through States and Caps and she'll need grade 5 to finish) - does anyone see a problem with this sequence? Do I need to hurry her along in the States and Caps? I just need something to be "easy" for her and this she can do alone....I think she'll need some help with the geography text, so I'd rather wait.
    Literature - She needs to do 1 less book than scheduled in the core. I could save the extra book for summer work, but I won't bank on that. So, what books would you schedule for grades 5-8? (I plan on waiting for Illiad and Oddessy until the 9th - which I know are scheduled in Literature but I don't think she'll be able to do those books AND literature - but we'll cross that bridge at that time)
    Christian Studies - I think we'll do Christian Studies 2 and 3 in 5th and 6th. I plan to use Catholic text for the remainder of her years. I'd love to hear compelling information about CSIV and other MP Christian Studies subjects though. I just don't know enough, but again I need something for her to do that she can do on her own..and I was thinking this was the place?
    Classical Studies - she still needs Greek Myths...we couldn't work that in this year. So, suggested sequence for 5, 6 ,7, 8??
    LAtin - I don't need guidance per say on this. She will finish LC in 5th and then we will just work through the Forms as much as we can by the 8th grade. I suspect she may only get through First, maybe Second. She is doing well with the 2 weeks per lesson pace in Latin, but the grammar is still the tricky part. THIS is my big question. If she only "makes" it to First/Second form by the end of 8th grade, she won't be able to do the EGR as scheduled, because her grammar will be too far behind. Any suggestions here? Just do R&S grammar instead of EGR? It seems like overkill, but this is her weakness, so maybe she'll just need it. I like EGR, but I don't know if it will be enough before high school? (I don't really know it isn't enough, but that's my biggest hurdle).

Science - I plan to do Physical Science in 7th and Earth in 8th...what do you suggest for 5th and 6th? She's only done Mammals.

Thanks!
    *addition* - she's set up really, to do 4M next year (with Math 5). Obviously this would be easiest. My concern is that she won't get far enough in EGR as I really foresee she will not be able to move through Latin at 1 year per form pace. I understand that EGR works together with the Latin. However, if she can't get to fourth form by 8th/9th, it's the grammar that has me concerned. Do I just add R&S and call it a day? Then, if I add R&S, I may as well do the Simply Classical 7/8 literature/grammar/latin....then, I'm working out of several guides.. (I can't do ALL of 7/8 because she hasn't finished courses in 5/6)...THIS is my question......
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Just some quick thoughts regarding science- i would strongly suggest the MP trees/Tiner Biology in 6th as that will give a very solid life science overview. Having life science, physical science, and earth science in middle school is a great prep for high school. For 5th just choose to her interest- astronomy, insects, or birds/medicine.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 21, chemistry major
      DS, 18, Physics major
      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Not being familiar with the SC level your daughter is in, will she have completed the first half of the subjects that are split over two years (Latin, Myths, grammar, states&capitals, Christian studies) in order to start 4M?

I wouldn’t worry too much about the grammar. My son is in second form and still working through EGR2. Well, he was until he lost the book two weeks ago along with the core skills phonics book. We were almost done 😪. Until I put my kids in MPOA I can’t remember when we finished one of the forms books in a school year. We just keep doing the next thing. The EGR is correlated to Latin, but not obsessively so.
        Dorinda

For 2019-2020
        DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
        DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
        DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
        DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
          Not being familiar with the SC level your daughter is in, will she have completed the first half of the subjects that are split over two years (Latin, Myths, grammar, states&capitals, Christian studies) in order to start 4M?

I wouldn’t worry too much about the grammar. My son is in second form and still working through EGR2. Well, he was until he lost the book two weeks ago along with the core skills phonics book. We were almost done 😪. Until I put my kids in MPOA I can’t remember when we finished one of the forms books in a school year. We just keep doing the next thing. The EGR is correlated to Latin, but not obsessively so.
          YEs, it would all line up, except Math (that will never line up) and Greek Myths. She has not done Greek Myths, so that would need to be done at regular pace rather than 1/2 pace (I do have the 1 year plans, I could easily, literally cut and paste (scissors and glue) the plans from 3A into the spots in 4M. I suppose we could do the first 12 or so lessons as well over the summer, more orally and just get the basic facts and then finish at the 4M pace. I didn't really want to force myself to do it over the summer, but I think she might actually enjoy it if we concentrate mostly on the facts to know, etc.
          Christine

(2019/2020)
          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Christine,

Continuing to work through States & Capitals is fine. I see no need to rush this. And if you don't get through all this geography, it's not a big deal. Geography I is the most relevant to her studies, so I would get through that one. If it takes 2 years, skip Geography II and move on to Geography III in 8th. Don't stress about Geography!

Literature - This is a subject where you can let her have some control. Let her choose the 2 or 3 books she does, within the guidelines of the cores. The only book you really don't want to skip is The Trojan War because it will prepare her for Homer. And you never know - she may not need to skip one in a couple of years.

Christian Studies - Your plan here is fine!

Classical Studies - Greek Myths in 5th, FMR in 6th, FMMA in 7th, and FMG in 8th - just follow our sequence since you are going to do Homer in 9th.

EGR - If you continue to do Latin, EGR will be enough. But if you see in her writing that she needs more, R&S would be my choice. In fact, you could go ahead and get the R&S 6 book as a reference to use over the next few years. It covers all parts of speech, so you can pull it out anytime you feel you need extra practice and do some oral exercises. I love it as a reference!

Science - I will let others guide you in science, but I think Physical Science will be too difficult in 7th for her. Science isn't a good area for me to speak authoritatively on!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
              Christine,

Continuing to work through States & Capitals is fine. I see no need to rush this. And if you don't get through all this geography, it's not a big deal. Geography I is the most relevant to her studies, so I would get through that one. If it takes 2 years, skip Geography II and move on to Geography III in 8th. Don't stress about Geography!

Literature - This is a subject where you can let her have some control. Let her choose the 2 or 3 books she does, within the guidelines of the cores. The only book you really don't want to skip is The Trojan War because it will prepare her for Homer. And you never know - she may not need to skip one in a couple of years.

Christian Studies - Your plan here is fine!

Classical Studies - Greek Myths in 5th, FMR in 6th, FMMA in 7th, and FMG in 8th - just follow our sequence since you are going to do Homer in 9th.

EGR - If you continue to do Latin, EGR will be enough. But if you see in her writing that she needs more, R&S would be my choice. In fact, you could go ahead and get the R&S 6 book as a reference to use over the next few years. It covers all parts of speech, so you can pull it out anytime you feel you need extra practice and do some oral exercises. I love it as a reference!

Science - I will let others guide you in science, but I think Physical Science will be too difficult in 7th for her. Science isn't a good area for me to speak authoritatively on!

Tanya
              Thank you very much! This is very helpful! Thank you especially, for the R&S 6 grammar tip!
              Christine

(2019/2020)
              DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Thank you ladies.
                Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
                Trekking along at a student self-pace...
                DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
                DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
                DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
                DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
                DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
                Blog: Creative Madness Mama
                @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post

Tanya
                  I agree with tanya about Phys Sci and 7th grade. Rachel is taking it as an eighth grader, and is in pre-algebra concurrently.

We opted not to worry much about science until we hit the middle school years. Rachel followed the MPOA track ---- MS Science I in 6th grade (Medicine, Astronomy and Earth), MS Science II (Bio, Chem and Physics), then Phys Sci in 8th grade. This might be a viable option for you all.
                  Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Out of the nest, small business owner
                  DD2 - 14 - 9th grade Cottage School Diploma Program/MPOA
                  DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School
                  DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School
                  DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School
                  DS6 - 6 - MP K

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

I agree with tanya about Phys Sci and 7th grade. Rachel is taking it as an eighth grader, and is in pre-algebra concurrently.

We opted not to worry much about science until we hit the middle school years. Rachel followed the MPOA track ---- MS Science I in 6th grade (Medicine, Astronomy and Earth), MS Science II (Bio, Chem and Physics), then Phys Sci in 8th grade. This might be a viable option for you all.
                    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!
                    Christine

(2019/2020)
                    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

howiecram This is a great thread. Thank you!

Dianna,

I'm sorting out my son's middle school years and I'm wondering about your daughter in 8th doing Physicial Science and pre-algebra. Is this the COTR pre-algebra? And what did she do for math in grade 7? Also, these courses on the MPOA track (Science II bio, them, and physics) sound like they would be more difficult for grade 7. I'm only starting to read middle and high school science threads in the past few weeks, so I am still working to understand the various options.

Thank you!
                      Monica

Comment

Originally posted by KikaMarie View Post

howiecram This is a great thread. Thank you!

Dianna,

I'm sorting out my son's middle school years and I'm wondering about your daughter in 8th doing Physicial Science and pre-algebra. Is this the COTR pre-algebra? And what did she do for math in grade 7? Also, these courses on the MPOA track (Science II bio, them, and physics) sound like they would be more difficult for grade 7. I'm only starting to read middle and high school science threads in the past few weeks, so I am still working to understand the various options.

Thank you!
                        Monica
                        She is doing COTR Pre-algebra now in the MPOA. In 7th grade, she did a review of R&S Math 6, and Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra.

For MS Science II, it wasn't a problem for her at all. They use the Tiner books, and there was ONE section in physics that caused us angst with math, but other than that, it was smooth sailing.
                        Plans for 2020-21

DS6 - 6 - MP K

Comment

She is doing COTR Pre-algebra now in the MPOA. In 7th grade, she did a review of R&S Math 6, and Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra.

For MS Science II, it wasn't a problem for her at all. They use the Tiner books, and there was ONE section in physics that caused us angst with math, but other than that, it was smooth sailing.
                          Thanks, Dianna. I have another general science question. I hope that's okay Christine.

How do you and others decide what science path to take? There seem to be so many options and they all look so interesting and worthwhile. The Tiner books with MPOA look great. The options for the homeschool core packages look great. Is the basic goal to have the child in Novare's physical science in 8th grade so they are ready for the Novare sequence in grades 9 to 12? If so, is there much difference between the options for grades 5, 6, and 7? Or is one as good as another?

Monica

Comment

That's a good question, and I think it's individual to each family.

For us, I need to streamline and really embrace multum non multa.
                            I work outside the home part time and I have a small business. I have 5 students at home, and we are dealing with learning disabilities with two of those. I'm also dealing with an autoimmune disorder that can sap my energy and brain power.

It took me many years to come to the realization that I cannot follow the cores to the letter, AND THAT'S OK. I take an honest look each year at the recommended subjects, and then consider my children, myself, and my resources. My path does not look exactly like the grade level paths laid out by MP, but they're a good path for my family.

For science, I honestly don't worry too much about it in the early years. It was one of those subjects that I couldn't ever seem to get to on a regular basis, and I felt guilty about it. I finally came to a decision to lay it aside and not worry about it, investing that time into Latin, math, and literature.

We picked up science again in the middle school years. I chose to follow the MPOA path for a few reasons. 1) I wanted Rachel to have a science class, but I didn't have the bandwidth to teach it. Like many of our children, she's much more accountable and works harder for other adults. 2) I was considering the MPOA diploma and wanted to get used to the platform. (We aren't pursuing that route, but it was part of my original decision making process.) 3) I enjoy the Tiner books.

We will PROBABLY stick to this path for my younger children as well, depending on math skills. My daughter struggles with math, so the Tiner sequence was great for her.
                            Plans for 2020-21

DS6 - 6 - MP K

Comment

Working...
                            X