Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Encouragement!

Good morning, everyone!

First of all, I want to say how much I love and appreciate this forum, as well as our MP curriculum! I think I've only posted on here one time, but I come here weekly to read other's posts and am always encouraged by the responses I see.

I have Kindergarten and Second grade boys both using full MP cores (except for Math.) I also have a two-year old little girl.

I need some encouragement today. For the last three weeks, our schoolwork has been inconsistent at best (with good reason, I can explain!) Yesterday my husband donated a kidney at the University of Chicago. It was for a close family friend who found out in November that he was in kidney failure. We are from Oklahoma, so this procedure required us to travel to Chicago where our friend and his wife live. During the last few weeks, it has been SO HARD to get our schoolwork completed!!! My husband had several appointments in Chicago leading up to this surgery. My two year old is out of her routine and has been very difficult to keep occupied. The weather has been poor so my boys haven't gotten much outside play, and they've watched too much t.v. I could go on and on, but basically life has felt difficult in the time leading up to this surgery. I feel worn out and defeated this morning, and honestly have very little desire to start school. Can someone please assure me that it's okay? I really want to hear that I am not failing my kids because they've missed some days of school over the last few weeks. I'm homeschooling for the "intangibles," not purely academics, but the enemy is really discouraging me.

On a positive note, our friend has gotten lab results back this morning and he already has improved kidney function!! Definitely makes me feel that this crazy trip was worth it, I just hate that I feel "behind" in our school year. My husband is recovering as expected, so that is another praise!

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read all of this and respond! Again, I am so thankful for this forum.

You're PERFECTLY fine, mama! This might help give you some perspective (and some needed laughter): https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...good-day-share

Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

I am having a similar week (though less noble), so maybe I'll be preaching to myself.

The task we homeschooling parents are undertaking is a big one. You are frustrated with the progress this week precisely because you care. That is half the battle. We can't let the enemy steal our joy and tell us lies that today's disorganization and chaos will be tomorrow's. Each day (and each moment) gets its own chance for change.

This week I wound up in X-ray due to an inability to bend over or move. I'm used to running a few miles a couple times a week, so this has been quite the shock. Turns out they think I have a cyst on my spine that's putting pressure on my nerves, causing excruciating pain. I was supposed to be on bedrest for 3 days while taking muscle relaxants. There is no way I could parent on those, so I skipped them and soldiered through, missing 3 night's sleep. Talk about a demoralizing feeling. My little guy always gets the short end of the stick because *everything* has to be shoulder to shoulder time. I can't assign him a thing and expect it to get done. I felt horribly guilty this week. My eldest has also had unrealistic expectations heaped on her as I try to figure out laundry, dinner, baths, etc. It only adds insult to injury.

Don't worry about missing two to three weeks of school. Sometimes doing absolutely nothing feels better than doing a few things haphazardly. Commit to returning full-swing when you get back home. Alternately, you could only do Latin and math, keeping those math facts current. Whatever it is, try to be intentionally thankful to God for the time of rest and the ability to slow down and enjoy giving life to another family.
      Mama to 2

Summer:
      MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
      SY 20/21
      4A

Comment

It is 100% going to be okay! If I can be completely honest, this week is our first real, full week back to all subjects since before THANKSGIVING. Now, we have done some things here and there, and thank goodness for MPOA, because my children are keeping up beautifully with Latin and composition, but everything else had slid away.

Now on a normal year, you will not find us taking a nearly 2 month break around the holidays. This year was weird though, some years are like that. My husband deployed last March and was slated to be home mid November. In my planning I had scheduled us to be at a good break point before he got home so we could enjoy Thanksgiving together and take off until after Christmas. Plans are constantly changing though, and we wound up not welcoming him home until after New Years. Then with required work time to wrap things up and 2 weeks off work (no way kids are working when Daddy has just gotten home) this week is the first "normal" week we have had.

Keep doing what you can do, but if some days all you manage is reading aloud to them, or even just turning on a good audiobook that's fine too. School will be there when your schedule adjusts and your husband is healed and home.
        ~Michelle

DD 12 (MP 7)
        DS 9 (Gap Year)
        DS 4 - Preschool
        DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by LindsayR View Post
          Good morning, everyone!

First of all, I want to say how much I love and appreciate this forum, as well as our MP curriculum! I think I've only posted on here one time, but I come here weekly to read other's posts and am always encouraged by the responses I see.

I have Kindergarten and Second grade boys both using full MP cores (except for Math.) I also have a two-year old little girl.

I need some encouragement today. For the last three weeks, our schoolwork has been inconsistent at best (with good reason, I can explain!) Yesterday my husband donated a kidney at the University of Chicago. It was for a close family friend who found out in November that he was in kidney failure. We are from Oklahoma, so this procedure required us to travel to Chicago where our friend and his wife live. During the last few weeks, it has been SO HARD to get our schoolwork completed!!! My husband had several appointments in Chicago leading up to this surgery. My two year old is out of her routine and has been very difficult to keep occupied. The weather has been poor so my boys haven't gotten much outside play, and they've watched too much t.v. I could go on and on, but basically life has felt difficult in the time leading up to this surgery. I feel worn out and defeated this morning, and honestly have very little desire to start school. Can someone please assure me that it's okay? I really want to hear that I am not failing my kids because they've missed some days of school over the last few weeks. I'm homeschooling for the "intangibles," not purely academics, but the enemy is really discouraging me.

On a positive note, our friend has gotten lab results back this morning and he already has improved kidney function!! Definitely makes me feel that this crazy trip was worth it, I just hate that I feel "behind" in our school year. My husband is recovering as expected, so that is another praise!

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read all of this and respond! Again, I am so thankful for this forum.
          Your kids are little. I promise you'll be fine. Prayers for everyone's recovery!
          Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys (7A, 6M, 2), classics major

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

And THIS is the reason to be grateful for Curriculum Guides and Post-It Notes.

Put one where you guys stopped, put the books away, go to the library, a museum, Target for a new toy, Chick-Fil-A for lunch and play time (but bring hand sanitizer to anywhere you go and use it liberally). Seriously. This is family bonding time 101. Your family is going through something really big. Your husband just had major surgery. You have been stressed and worried and out of your element. This is one of those times where you treat yourself gently so that you can be a good mom. And then when it is hotter than blazes in Oklahoma this summer you can do morning school before you head to the pool.

It’s all going to be A-OK. My kids have been through nine cross-country moves, nine pregnancies and births, 8 baby moons, and tons of dad traveling (which usually makes for a lot more “let’s go somewhere” days to preserve my sanity!). Not to mention the days mom just needs to rest.

And after/through all of it, we just open up our guides and do the next day.

God bless your husband for such a marvelous, generous gift. And for all that you are doing to support him in that.

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 16
            DD, 14
            DD, 12
            DD, 10
            DD, 8
            DD, 6
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

You're not alone, mama! From October, we had a week from home while the Enginerd was out of town, then two weeks of a stomach virus, followed by two weeks of a respiratory bug, with several labor and delivery false alarms, then the real delivery, nicu stay, home adjustments, Thanksgiving, and I think December was in there somewhere. School has been here, there, and yonder. Just keep on rolling into the summer and try to focus on what you can.
              Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
              Trekking along at a student self-pace...
              DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
              DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
              DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
              DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
              DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
              Blog: Creative Madness Mama
              @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

It is absolutely okay, LindsayR. You are not hurting or failing your kids. With God's help, you will get through this. The kids will get through this. There is one absolutely beautiful thing about homeschooling: You, as the parents, are in charge as God has given you authority of your children. You choose the curriculum. You set the pace. You can speed up, you can slow down. You can do a lesson or a week over again if you need to do so. When a curve ball comes your way, you adjust and follow through. God knew this noble task was coming your way. You did not know what impact it would have, but He did. And He prepared you and will give you His grace to get through it.
                2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
                S - 6, rising 1st Grader @ home and HLN
                D - 4, rising Junior Kindergartener @ home
                S - 3, the master of disasters

Comment

Working...
                X