Trying to place 6th and 7th graders in Classical Composition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to place 6th and 7th graders in Classical Composition

We are transitioning to MP next year. Two of my kids will be in 6th and 7th grades. I'm trying to figure out which level of Classical Composition I should place them in, but am struggling to determine which would be best. Any advice?

CC is a subject that needs to be started from the beginning, with Fable. If your students are slightly older, like yours are, you could do the first 2 classes in 1 year. I believe MP sells accelerated lesson plans that has them scheduled that way, but you would probably need to call or email and double check.

I didn't feel that my daughter (6th grade) had a solid foundation with Fable, so this year I enrolled her with MPOA and they have an accelerated class with Fable / Narrative in 1 year. She is in 6th grade and it has been wonderful for her. The outside accountability has been really good for me, because when time got short composition was always the subject we dropped.
    ~Michelle

DD 12 (MP 7)
    DS 9 (Gap Year)
    DS 4 - Preschool
    DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by 3Blessings View Post
      ... I enrolled her with MPOA and they have an accelerated class with Fable / Narrative in 1 year. She is in 6th grade and it has been wonderful for her. The outside accountability has been really good for me, because when time got short composition was always the subject we dropped.
      I wish this were an affordable option for us. CC is the one course I just cannot wrap my mind around to teach. We keep either not doing it, or going back to IEW. In not sure what we will do. My daughter is in 5th and still self-pace slowly working with the DVD on Fable, although j have Narrative here to move to if we ever get there...

Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
      Trekking along at a student self-pace...
      DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
      DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
      DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
      DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
      DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
      Blog: Creative Madness Mama
      @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Originally posted by CherryBlossomMJ View Post

I wish this were an affordable option for us. CC is the one course I just cannot wrap my mind around to teach. We keep either not doing it, or going back to IEW. In not sure what we will do. My daughter is in 5th and still self-pace slowly working with the DVD on Fable, although j have Narrative here to move to if we ever get there...
        If you ever make it to Teacher Training in the summer, the Composition day with Abigail Johnson was 100% worth the whole trip. I'll likely keep one kid in MPOA, but the other kid I'll teach on my own at his pace. And now I feel like I actually know what I'm doing.
        Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys (7A, 6M, 2), classics major

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Working...
        X