Help planning for a smooth transition to MP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help planning for a smooth transition to MP2

My 2nd grader (8yo in May) just finished up level 1 of Reading Lessons Through Literature and we were going to move into Level 2 (which I already bought), but then I started looking at MP and decided to do MP2 with him next year. He already knows all the phonograms and their sounds (RLTL groups all the sounds together on one card similar to AAR/AAS). We do flashcards weekly on Monday and then he reviews any missed ones daily for the rest of the week. We write/and mark up 5 new words a day (that I spell out for him phonetically), he is very good about marking the words and remembering the spelling rules, the stories that go along with the words are easy for him. I'm thinking about starting Traditional Spelling 1 with him rather than continuing with RLTL2, but I'm not sure if it's necessary, and I want to start school around July (when I will also be starting his younger brother in MP core K), and I'm not sure I can finish TS1 before then. Will it be difficult to just start with TS2? I was worried that he might find a different phonics program confusing but I showed him a sample of TS1 and he understood it already. He did K and 1st at a public school, and his phonics were presented in a similar way as MP seems to be doing it (short/long vowels and blends...). He also did 100EZ lessons before K, so I guess I've made him very flexible in his phonics abilities!

I'm also considering doing More Storytime Treasures with him. He is currently reading the Bookshark grade 2 readers, and he is having no issues with them, but it's just reading with an oral comprehension question or 2 daily. I'm assuming I could get this finished before we want to start school in July.

He does very little writing at the moment, other than the 5 new words a day and occasional copywork/handwriting practice that I haphazardly give him to do (usually something he is memorizing). So although his reading/phonics/spelling are strong, I think he needs more writing to prepare for MP2. Would either TS1 or MSTT be more helpful, should I do both? Or maybe just keep on with RLTL2 and bookshark readers. I'm really torn about how to proceed. We're exactly halfway through our school year right now and I want to make sure he's ready for the full MP core next year.

The only other things we are doing besides what I already mentioned are R&S Math 2, Memory Work (Classical Catholic Memory), and BookShark readalouds. We're also starting New American Cursive (once I have the workbooks), but that looks like it will be fairly easy for him.

Any recommendations?

My eldest came from multiple phonics approaches, too. She had almost 3 years of Montessori school, then we did LoE Foundations A-D for 1/4 of K and 1st grade. I had already purchased the next level up when I stumbled upon MP, and I scrapped it all and dove head-in. It was the best decision we have ever made for their homeschooling, and my kids have done beautifully with it. Best of all, I enjoy it!

TS I might be a better fit if he has trouble being dictated a word. However, TS II was an easy transition for my eldest, who turned 8 in the fall of her 2nd grade year. Being older and more mature helps. She initially balked at the writing load, but as her hand built stamina over the first 6 weeks, she enjoyed the colorful letters, fun word scramble that keep vowel teams and consonant blends & digrapgs together, and predictable format where she began to see spelling words in her literature and Enrichment. The cohesiveness is what makes it so wonderful. My kids have had no issues figuring out the split sounds flashcards, and they actually really liked all the extra practice the Classical Phonics word lists provided.
    Mama to 2

Summer:
    MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
    SY 20/21
    4A

Comment

It sounds like he will be on solid footing for second. Since you will be getting the NAC, and his phonics sound strong, I would not worry about completing what you have and then moving into TSII next year. I have two second graders right now who are using it without having done TSI and they are doing great. They really enjoy it, and have loved have new activities to do besides what SWO offers (which is what they had done last year). I think adding MSTT is a great idea, and will add in a layer of writing that will round out your semester nicely, while helping him be ready for the literature guides in 2nd.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 8
      DD, 6
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
        My eldest came from multiple phonics approaches, too. She had almost 3 years of Montessori school, then we did LoE Foundations A-D for 1/4 of K and 1st grade. I had already purchased the next level up when I stumbled upon MP, and I scrapped it all and dove head-in. It was the best decision we have ever made for their homeschooling, and my kids have done beautifully with it. Best of all, I enjoy it!

TS I might be a better fit if he has trouble being dictated a word. However, TS II was an easy transition for my eldest, who turned 8 in the fall of her 2nd grade year. Being older and more mature helps. She initially balked at the writing load, but as her hand built stamina over the first 6 weeks, she enjoyed the colorful letters, fun word scramble that keep vowel teams and consonant blends & digrapgs together, and predictable format where she began to see spelling words in her literature and Enrichment. The cohesiveness is what makes it so wonderful. My kids have had no issues figuring out the split sounds flashcards, and they actually really liked all the extra practice the Classical Phonics word lists provided.
        He does great at spelling the words I dictate, even corrects me sometimes (I'm still learning the phonics myself!). Sounds like he will be fine with starting at TS II, I ordered TS I, phonics flashcards, and Classical Phonics just to take a look at them. Maybe I will go over the phonics cards with him once we finish up RLTL2, before we start MP2.

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
          It sounds like he will be on solid footing for second. Since you will be getting the NAC, and his phonics sound strong, I would not worry about completing what you have and then moving into TSII next year. I have two second graders right now who are using it without having done TSI and they are doing great. They really enjoy it, and have loved have new activities to do besides what SWO offers (which is what they had done last year). I think adding MSTT is a great idea, and will add in a layer of writing that will round out your semester nicely, while helping him be ready for the literature guides in 2nd.

AMDG,
          Sarah
          Thanks!! I really needed to hear that starting with TSII is doable. I do think he will benefit from the writing in MSTT, so I'm going to focus on doing that instead. It looks like something that can be completed in the second half of our school year, and I think we will both enjoy it!

Comment

The description you gave of your child's background in phonics leads me to believe he will do fine starting Traditional Spelling II. Your plan for working through NAC is a good one as the expectation for cursive in every subject begins in second grade. Since your child has not done a lot of writing, cursive may facilitate his transition into more writing. While working through MSTT, a good idea for a new to MP 2nd grader, consider ease into more writing by setting expectations. Complete one written comprehension question for one or two books, for the next couple of books two comprehension question answers must be written, and so on until your child has the stamina to copy all answers. Be sure to complete questions according to the Teaching Guidelines in the front of Teacher Guide. There is a detailed plan for modeling how to answer a comprehension question that should be closely followed.

It sounds like you have a good plan. Let us know how it goes. If you have any questions along the way remember we are here to help and want you to be successful with the materials.

Comment

As someone with experience in RLTL and TS1, STT and the like I think you're golden for where you are aiming.
              Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
              Trekking along at a student self-pace...
              DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
              DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
              DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
              DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
              DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
              Blog: Creative Madness Mama
              @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
                The description you gave of your child's background in phonics leads me to believe he will do fine starting Traditional Spelling II. Your plan for working through NAC is a good one as the expectation for cursive in every subject begins in second grade. Since your child has not done a lot of writing, cursive may facilitate his transition into more writing. While working through MSTT, a good idea for a new to MP 2nd grader, consider ease into more writing by setting expectations. Complete one written comprehension question for one or two books, for the next couple of books two comprehension question answers must be written, and so on until your child has the stamina to copy all answers. Be sure to complete questions according to the Teaching Guidelines in the front of Teacher Guide. There is a detailed plan for modeling how to answer a comprehension question that should be closely followed.

It sounds like you have a good plan. Let us know how it goes. If you have any questions along the way remember we are here to help and want you to be successful with the materials.
                Thanks! I think this is going to be a really good transition. It helps that we are already doing R&S Math, that was a big transition from the other math programs I had used in the past, and there was definitely a learning curve figuring out how to implement that, but I love it now that I figured it out! I'm cleaning up our schedule and focusing on what will help him be successful in MP2. So excited to have it all laid out for me next year!

Comment

Originally posted by CherryBlossomMJ View Post
                  As someone with experience in RLTL and TS1, STT and the like I think you're golden for where you are aiming.
                  Yay! Thanks for the input. I feel like we are moving in the right direction now!

Comment

Transitioning to R & S Math should be simple. Placement can really be a grade level for most students due to the consistent review of skills practiced and introduced. The lessons are very easy to follow with step-by-step directions for lessons which are interactive, not just you explaining how to do a task. Follow those directions as they provide the prefect amount of review and introduce future topics gradually. Plan for around 30 -40 minutes for math which should include the lesson as scripted, speed drills, checking of drill, completion of the student workbook and checking with student correction of workbook. Rod & Staff makes it easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
                      Transitioning to R & S Math should be simple. Placement can really be a grade level for most students due to the consistent review of skills practiced and introduced. The lessons are very easy to follow with step-by-step directions for lessons which are interactive, not just you explaining how to do a task. Follow those directions as they provide the prefect amount of review and introduce future topics gradually. Plan for around 30 -40 minutes for math which should include the lesson as scripted, speed drills, checking of drill, completion of the student workbook and checking with student correction of workbook. Rod & Staff makes it easy.
                      We are actually doing R&S Math 2 already (more than halfway through already). I had tried many other programs with my oldest when I homeschooled her and she used Saxon once she was back in Public school (she's in college now!). I love R&S!! I love having a script and that learning math facts is built into the program... we really struggled with that with my daughter! I just found it a little difficult to figure out their system and to get into a rhythm with it. The key to me was figuring out a way to make the clover patch work for us (I made manipulatives to use at the table), realizing that I could just have my son read directly out of the book for a lot of the chalkboard problems (rather than re-writing all the info on a board), and that the After Class lesson is absolutely necessary (since that is where new concepts are taught).

I feel like I have one less thing to figure out when we start a complete MP core next year!

Comment

Sounds like you are doing well. Sorry for the confusion! I'm just coming off an out-of-town trip and must need more sleep.

Comment

Working...
                        X