Slant for cursive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slant for cursive?

My daughter just started NAC 3 but she had been writing cursive for over a year and writes it for her schoolwork, too (like the Lit guides and Latin). However her cursive, while very legible, is straight up and down even when she tilts her paper. Is there a trick for helping her slant it correctly or is vertical cursive considered ok?
    Ora et Labora!
    Emily

Beech Tree Boarding School, 2020-2021
    DD (age 9): 4NU
    DD (age 7): MP 1
    DS (age 4): MP Jr. K
    "I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light. For a time, I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." Wendell Berry

Be sure her paper is tilted correctly each time she writes (you indicated this is so) then begin to teach the 3 S's. Size, slant, spacing are the 3 things we look for after the 3 P's(posture, paper position, pencil grip) are second nature. Typically 2nd grade we begin introducing these. Treat them as a skill to be perfected. Your daughter will need to be intentional. Try purposing for uniform size in lowercase letters for a week or two, then add uniform uppercase letters for a couple of weeks. Next work on slant. Again, she will need to really think about this so insist on correct slant during cursive practice first then add the expectation to other subjects. Lastly work on spacing, a small letter o between words and two small letter o's between sentences. Graduate the expectation into subjects until she displays proficiency.

Comment

Thank you! I've been double checking her before she starts her handwriting, and we found the slant guide sheet at the back of the book. I also looked a little closer, and NAC isn't as slanted as the cursive I was taught, so she's closer to "ideal" than I thought she was. So glad we are doing NAC 3 though. I hadn't really realized how mismatched her letters sizes were till the book asked her to work on it!
      Ora et Labora!
      Emily

Beech Tree Boarding School, 2020-2021
      DD (age 9): 4NU
      DD (age 7): MP 1
      DS (age 4): MP Jr. K
      "I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light. For a time, I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." Wendell Berry

Comment

Working...
      X