COTW vs. VideoText

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COTW vs. VideoText

My 7th grade daughter will finish up Rod and Staff Math Grade 6 in about 3 weeks. I already purchased COTW for Pre-Algebra when I purchased her core last February.

I saw that VideoText includes Pre-Algebra, and I'm trying to decide which would be a better fit for this particular child. Since I have no experience with either math program, I'm at a loss.

My girl is not a strong math student and "hates math" because it doesn't come easily to her. We did Singapore and Math Mammoth through the beginning of 5th grade, then switched to Rod and Staff Math when we switched to MP cores. So she's been through most of 5th grade R&S to fill holes and memorize facts well, plus all of 6th grade R&S.

R&S Math is a great fit for her. The mastery, the simple page layout, and how rules are laid out appeal to her. I do grade her work, and she is a solid B+ student in math.

My original plan was to just start COTW Pre-Algebra when we finished R&S Grade 6, and then move onto Algebra I whenever we finished Pre-A, even if this didn't line up at the beginning of the school year.

Does a child to who is an average math student need a full year of Pre-Algebra? Would the Pre-A in VideoText be sufficient in helping her feel successful in math and understand the more advanced concepts that Pre-Algebra brings?

I don't want to lose any ground with math, so I want to make the best Pre-A decision for her from the start.

(My oldest boy completed only a few sections of Math Mammoth Pre-Algebra. He needs very little review and already knew most of the concepts, so his experience is not helpful in deciding for my 7th grader.)

And another piece to the puzzle - She mostly teaches herself math with a heavy oversight from me. I check her work each day, we go over problem areas, but she "teaches" herself from the book. I've assumed all along that this is the last year she can do this and will need daily class time with me moving forward. But honestly, I have no more time. My almost 3yo is a tornado. Not kidding. My 3rd grader is only starting to do small portions of independent work, and my 5th grader has to be right under my thumb, if you know what I mean. All of that to say, I have no wiggle room in my day to add in teaching Pre-Algebra. I'm stretched too thin as it is.

What would you advise? What do you feel would be the best situation for success for this particular child?

Thank you in advance! ❤
    Lauren
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2020-2021:
    10th grade DS: Mix of MP materials, MPOA, and local classes
    8th grade DD: 8M and 3rd Form with MPOA
    6th grade DD: Mostly 6M
    4th Grade DD: Mostly 4NU
    3.5 yo DS: Copious amounts of time outside beating on things with sticks; MP Preschool and Mom Extras 2-3 days a week

I asked a similar question on this thread and the answer was MP's recommendation is R&S 6 then Pre-Algebra, then VT. You can see here: https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...-after-vt-math
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Echoing howiecram. The advice I have read all says do a solid Pre-Alg before attempting VideoText. Apparently, it moves quite fast/review pace assuming the child has had Pre-Alg.
      The Homeschool Grads:
      J- 6/96
      S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
      G- 4/04
      D- 5/05
      F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
      M- 9/16

Comment

Ah, okay. Thank you both for the help.

After reading through that linked thread and your responses here, I ended up reading COTW Pre-A last night for over an hour. All of those pieces helped me determine we will just move forward with COTW as I originally planned. I want her to have a super solid foundation in math (something I didn't have), so this slower route is probably best for her.

But my next issue is there isn't a teacher's manual for COTW. I'm a person that needs a lot of hand-holding. For those of you have taught COTW before, would it help me to have a Teacher's Manual from another Pre-A program to hold my hand a bit?

I'm overthinking this, right?

Lauren
        Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2020-2021:
        10th grade DS: Mix of MP materials, MPOA, and local classes
        8th grade DD: 8M and 3rd Form with MPOA
        6th grade DD: Mostly 6M
        4th Grade DD: Mostly 4NU
        3.5 yo DS: Copious amounts of time outside beating on things with sticks; MP Preschool and Mom Extras 2-3 days a week

Comment

Working...
        X