Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your system for keeping MP things together for future years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your system for keeping MP things together for future years?

New year, massive organization projects underway!

I'm looking for tips and hacks from you mommas who have your ducks all in a row.

How do you keep MP materials together for future years, without dying from clutter?

At the moment, I have an entertainment center that's filled with MP books --- student texts, novels, teacher manuals, etc. One shelf is dedicated to 'next fall' -- and contains all the things I already have for my students for fall 2020, so that I don't order things twice, etc.

I'd love to hear from you, see pictures, and the like.

Thanks for your help!
    Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
    DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
    DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

The top bookshelf in my Rec Room downstairs houses all "off season" MP TMs, texts, etc. I write the core number on the spine and they are arranged by core from K to high school, going left to right.
    This allows me to grab a resource or make a quick shopping inventory at a moment's notice. The only other place things go is upstairs in school bins/my desk if they are in use.
    Flashcards are kept in a bulk bin out of sight. Helpful?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_105750.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	118406
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
    @ Home, virtual-HLN, & MPOA
    10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

YES!

Let's talk flashcards.

Because, holy moley.

The flashcards. I haven't even unearthed all of them yet.

Is there an easy way to eyeball a flashcard set and know to what Latin level it belongs? Also, is there a master list of flashcards --- meaning -- Second Form Latin --- here are all the cards, so that I know what I'm holding in my hand?
      I think I have multiple sets of LC and FFL, so I feel like I'm drowning in the Black Sea of flashcards.
      Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
      DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
      DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

I'm out for the day, but I can snap some pics when I get home. We have nine million closets in our house, so we use them. I hate looking at clutter, even books. Plus, I like the pulling out of older books to feel special, so if they're out of sight, it feels more special when we bring them out again. Also, the closet helps my eldest stay out of the read-alouds so that they can be exciting when the youngest ages into them. I lock our closet and hide the key.

Flashcards go in shoeboxes sorted by grade or subject (TSII needed its own box). Adult bootie shoeboxes are large enough for this, and they seem to be more rigid than boxes for heels. I have a pack of Avery blackout labels that I stick on the front. The Container Store boxes look nice, but I don't like seeing the clutter through them. Also, when we get to using them, I didn't have a great place to put the lid. The shoebox lid stows under the box, and I usually just pop the whole box in the top drawer of the cabinet I designed for our carpenter.

I cut out 3x5 notecards as dividers and run a marker stripe across the top that generally matches the colorway of the books, then I write the subject title. Old cell phone boxes sometimes work well for the smaller cards.
        Mama to 2, Married 18 years

SY 19/20
        DD 9-3A
        DS 6-SC C

Comment

Dianna,
          Here is our main wall of shelves in the study. Top shelf left side has stacks of new notebooks, and then DVDs. Top shelf right side, plus the next row, and the third shelf left side are materials not currently being used. The other five shelves are the five oldest kids' shelves. (The two 2nd graders have a shelf in the family room because that's where we usually are for school.)

Notice the white baskets on everyone's shelves...those are for the American Studies novels, their pencils, and their flashcards. Flashcards that are not in use are in a larger one of those same baskets which sits on top of drawers that are on the other wall of the study. HTHs!

And I have had to do the "latin flashcard sort" more than once due to toddler curiosity! It is truly a sea of cards on the floor until they are sorted. I did finally add a stripe with permanent marker down the width of the stacks so that it's somewhat easier now. (I didn't do another photo for that...but think: hold the deck in your hand, turn it to a side, and swipe the marker across the deck. that's all I did and it does help)

AMDG,
          Sarah​​​​​​​

Name:	IMG_9228.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	118411
          Attached Files
          2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 8
          DD, 6
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

We have 8 bookshelves in our storage room and two are dedicated to homeschooling- mostly MP. I sort by subject and line them up by grade. I can’t just put them in a box because I constantly seem to want to reference them. I seem to plan next year about the time we start this year so I keep checking to see what I have and what I need. Or a question comes up and I pull out an old book to look it up. I have all teacher guides and texts and the latest used workbook because I seem to still want to look through workbooks??? I’m weird. I also have any videos or cds lines up with their subject. I don’t have many flashcards- just Latin- so I store those in their own boxes in a basket in my school room.
            Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
            DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
            DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
            DS, 21, chemistry major
            DS, 18, Physics major
            DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
            DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
            DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Dianna,
              Ideas...
              For taming the flashcards you could consider a gallon freezer ziplock for each set with the title written in BIG sharpie letters on the bag itself. Then you could store them in a tote or big drawer. If you need even easier quick-ID consider putting one neon notecard custom cut to fit onto the set (ring) with the others with the label on it--Orange for Latin, Pink for Classics, Green for Math...whatever works.

The older the kids are the less flashcards we use. Here's what in use this year:
              My oldest two use none--almost none? My 10th grader uses none. My 8th grader is making her own for Novare Physical Science as she goes along. She doesn't use any others. 5th grader uses First Form Latin and math (multiplication/division). My 2nd grader uses my homemade Traditional Spelling 2 colorful letter cards (DEAR MP I would pay BIG MONEY for printed set of these--they are essential and a big time investment for me), math flashcards, art cards, and I write out the poem of the week on each card.
              I have tons of cards downstairs, just in case someone changes their mind.

Sarah, I LOVE that piece of furniture. So perfect for school!
              Debbie--I, too, require near-constant access to everything we own. Ha!
              enbateau, Looking forward to photos.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Comment

I only have homeschool supplies for K-5, so not as much as some of you. We don't have a lot of extra living space, so I store "out of season" books in the attic. I write everything that's going into the box on a piece of paper and tape it to the box. I then put that same list into OneNote (which is my long term brain) for future reference. I organize the boxes by grade level as much as possible.

Everything goes into the box: books, student guides, teacher guides, flashcards. I keep the "title page" flashcard and stick them all in a freezer bag with the title card showing.
                ~ Carrie
                Catholic mom to four - ages 10, 8, 5, and 3
                7th year homeschooling, 2nd year MP!
                2019-2020: 5M (LC year 2), 3M (LC year 2), and K enrichment!

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                  Dianna,

Sarah, I LOVE that piece of furniture. So perfect for school!
                  Ha! Not furniture...built into the wall. There are similar ones in the family room on both sides of the fireplace. Big reason I wanted THIS house!!!

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                  DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                  DS, 16
                  DD, 14
                  DD, 12
                  DD, 10
                  DD, 8
                  DD, 6
                  +DS+
                  DS, 2

Comment

Signs you are a homeschooler/book lover--built-ins are HIGH on the list of house preferences!
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Comment

I don't have pictures, but I would use stacking storage bins with each cores' materials inside with a label on the outside stating which core it is. Stash in a closet/storage room. I am not keeping anything for Captain because an 8 yr age spread is a bit much.
                      The Homeschool Grads:
                      J- 6/96
                      S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                      G- 4/04
                      D- 5/05
                      F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                      M- 9/16

Comment

I can’t seem to figure out how to attach a photo, but I have 5 fairly narrow ikea bookshelves with my homeschool stuff. I have the books sorted by subject in ascending grade level with teacher guide/student guide if I still have it/book. If I have DVD’s they go there as well. Flash cards at the end of the year are sorted and put into a quart sized ziplock bags and placed in a plastic storage box with other flash cards. I try to keep them on a book ring by unit. However, we haven’t been using many at the moment.
                        Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                        DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                        DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                        DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                        DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                          Signs you are a homeschooler/book lover--built-ins are HIGH on the list of house preferences!
                          Truth!!

And..when a simple bunk-room project that should have taken a weekend..turns into a month long Hobbit home construction instead
                          Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
                          DS 15: 10th, MPOA: HS Comp II, Economics
                          DD 13: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
                          DD 9: 4th using 3A
                          Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

I'm finally getting around to posting our overflow closet...

I usually keep grades of all MP branded material with its grade and read alouds. Flashcards go in shoeboxes. I try to use one half of a shelf for each grade. All of our K-2 science, history and culture read alouds stay out at all times for kids to pluck off the shelf at will. And my eldest has requested I leave out the American History readers all year as well, as she frequently rereads these for pleasure. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200117_161140.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	118593

These are our main bookshelf/cabinet and drawer combos that make my life so easy.

Name:	20200113_155311.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	118594
                            I often just pop flashcard boxes in here to pull from throughout the year and return them to overflow when done. Above is MP3 and the K-2 Enrichment supplemental readers.

Name:	20200113_155137.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	118595
                            And here is MP1 Lit & Enrichment, SC C and SC1/MPK Enrichment. Closing those bottom doors makes my eyes relax!
                            Mama to 2, Married 18 years

SY 19/20
                            DD 9-3A
                            DS 6-SC C

Comment

Working...
                            X