FSR Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FSR Question

I’ve read that normal kids see a word 20 times before committing it to memory. My son just started blending a few weeks ago. Now he sounds out EVERYTHING, even sight words he knew before. How often are you drilling CVC words? How quickly should all this click? I don’t know what’s typical.😧 We just started FSR B, and he’s doing fine doing the actual lesson, I think.

Originally posted by GingerG View Post
    I’ve read that normal kids see a word 20 times before committing it to memory. My son just started blending a few weeks ago. Now he sounds out EVERYTHING, even sight words he knew before. How often are you drilling CVC words? How quickly should all this click? I don’t know what’s typical.😧 We just started FSR B, and he’s doing fine doing the actual lesson, I think.
    Hi Ginger! I'm so glad you brought this to the forum. I know you mentioned on FB that he's on they younger side. You might want to go ahead and share his age and any other difficulties he's had as that will help Michelle T and others know the best direction for him.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Ginger,

It is common for burgeoning readers to revert to sounding out words they have known by sight. He is practicing his new skills which is a good thing! In FSR Book B you are still early enough in the program that it isn’t something I would worry about. It should naturally subside as he reads more and becomes fluent.

As for how often we drill Common Words, it is daily. Simply run through the stack of flash cards prior to reading. If he struggles with a word, tell him the word but add that card back into the stack again. On dictation days we read through the stack as well as practice dictation of the common words on white boards just before the actual dictation in the workbook. There are specific guidelines for dictation of common words In the Teacher Notes at the front of the Teacher Guide.

Comment

He turned 5 on June 30, 2019. We are from Louisiana, so sounding out an and am is difficult. He also started the year not knowing how to rhyme. I didn’t know that was important. So what we did was go through Core Skills 1 and 2 up to magic E the first several weeks of school. I bought another book, and that got him blending. Now he can blend fairly well, not perfect, and rhyme MUCH better. We just started FSR B, and he can do the word families. But he’s not committing many words to fast memory. I follow the lesson plan, but I’m not sure how quickly he’s supposed to be learning these words by sight.

Comment

We must have been posting at the same time Ginger. It takes a while to be able to look at a CVC (consonant, vowel, consonant) and know it. Many students are still sounding out words beyond Books C and D. It is a tool we use for unfamiliar words and until they have had much practice they will need to use it. By they way, you were correct about seeing a word several times before you have a visual imprint of the word!

Comment

Working...
          X