In Defense of Western Civilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Defense of Western Civilization

I want to thank Mr. Cothran and the editors of The Classical Teacher for another excellent edition. I think it might be my favorite one so far. Mr. Cothran's In Defense of Western Civilization and Ms. Swope's Why Study Western Civilization were particularly helpful to me in answering some of the questions that I have been asked of last regarding classical education. I love this magazine. Thank you!!

Originally posted by ShawnaB View Post
    I want to thank Mr. Cothran and the editors of The Classical Teacher for another excellent edition. I think it might be my favorite one so far. Mr. Cothran's In Defense of Western Civilization and Ms. Swope's Why Study Western Civilization were particularly helpful to me in answering some of the questions that I have been asked of last regarding classical education. I love this magazine. Thank you!!
    Absolutely agreed.
    2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
    S - 6, rising 1st Grader @ home and HLN
    D - 4, rising Junior Kindergartener @ home
    S - 3, the master of disasters

Comment

The article articulates well my deep discomfort with almost every history program I have looked at (outside of MP), particularly for American history. Either 1) the author/publisher/source thinks that America is the New Jerusalem, ordained and defined by God Himself, and therefore America's leaders are unassailable leaders of light (with a sidenote that the Civil War was really about states' rights) or 2) America is a wretched country led by white supremacist men, and America has always subjugated women and people of color, and really, we'd be better off if we were taken over by Tibet. Or at least Germany.

My take has always been in the middle: America is a brilliant idea. The Declaration and Constitution, while not necessarily wholly original, were breathtaking and bold, but still require adaptation to today's society which the founders never even envisioned. There is still so much good about America, but it needs constant tending and strengthening and refining.
      Ora et Labora!
      Emily

Beech Tree Boarding School, 2020-2021
      DD (age 9): 4NU
      DD (age 7): MP 1
      DS (age 4): MP Jr. K
      "I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light. For a time, I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." Wendell Berry

Comment

Working...
      X