Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are new, you should know...

....(fill in your answer here!)

Sodalitas registration went live yesterday, and the event has me feeling a bit nostalgic for being a newbie to MP. Back then, there was no such thing as Sodalitas, there was not a single Core yet, and the Forum had never seen threads turn to such topics as ladies’ pantaloons, scrunchie hair bands and mix tapes, or heated discussions of some pretty famous books! (Maybe this needs to be an apology-post instead of a query-post!)

And it got me wondering what others have realized by using MP that they never expected...???

For me, it was all of those things...Sodalitas and the women I have become such good friends with because of it; coming to know MP folks as real, ordinary people; and cherishing the sense of community all those relationships have added to our homeschooling journey. I used to research and read posts all the time; but knowing people personally makes those posts that much more important to me.

Oh, and school is awesome too - but I was expecting that!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 8
    DD, 6
    +DS+
    DS, 2

...that you can bend the cores to your will. Do not feel locked into having to do EVERYTHING exactly as written. See them as a tool, not a box.

And the forum is THE best place to come for acceptance, advice, encouragement, and good feels.
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Comment

....that even if you get sidetracked and leave MP for a few years, you can come back and get all the help you need on where to begin again. Plus, your friends on the Forum are welcoming, kind and supportive.
      Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 10 years

dd - 9th grade using MP and Homeschool Connections
      ds - 7th grade using MP

Comment

...that no one will judge you here even when you do leave for a while and come back.
        The Homeschool Grads:
        J- 6/96
        S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
        G- 4/04
        D- 5/05
        F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
        M- 9/16

Comment

... grade year does not have to equal annual school year.
          Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
          Trekking along at a student self-pace...
          DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
          DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
          DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
          DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
          DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
          Blog: Creative Madness Mama
          @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

... That it's not expected that you complete every single question in every single guide in every single core every single year. (That one took me two school years to figure out.)
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2020-2021
            11th year HSing · 9th year MP
            @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
            11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Oh! And that there's a pretty distinct format break between primary (K-2) and third grade. It's wonderful, and, I didn't know that was what was happening for several years.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2020-2021
              11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

... That teachers in classrooms are often new to the material, just like me.
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

2020-2021
                11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

... That Mrs. Lowe started learning Latin when she was 40.

Ok, I'll stop. That one is a mic drop anyway.
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

2020-2021
                  11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

I love this thread ...

Tanya

Comment

...that this is the most helpful, kind group ever. I wish I had known about it when I first started with MP. Come to Sodalitas, they are even better in person!
                      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

....that the staff of Memoria Press *genuinely* care about you and your children. In all of my dealings that I have ever had, never once have I gotten the sense that I was simply a customer number or simply a consumer with dollars to be taken. They genuinely care, they sacrifice and give willingly (as able).

And the President of MP even opens doors at the Sodalitas gathering. True story! As we are taking our food trays over to the gym from the kitchen area, there is Mr. Lowe opening the door and helping out. Just a microcosm glimpse that aptly shows the heart and humility of this wonderful company, and more importantly, family.
                        2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
                        S - 6, rising 1st Grader @ home and HLN
                        D - 4, rising Junior Kindergartener @ home
                        S - 3, the master of disasters

Comment

MP will make you feel more proud to be American (or at least thankful if you in a country that values and protects freedom of speech, assembly, and just governance). After so many years in public schools across the globe--9 schools in 12 years--and 4 years of university indoctrination, bereft of any philosophical underpinnings of American republicanism and democracy, I had become rather disenchanted with my home country. I somehow managed to grow upa and travel all around the world with teachers and friends from all stripes, and yet I was never taught why anything was the way it was, how America is great, and how truly exceptional this country is. MP set me on a collision course with some of the greatest thinkers of our time, and MP's Judeo-Christian emphasis is stamped all over the curriculum.

I just listened to an incredible speech by Candace Owens exhorting our next generation to return to the study of Western Civilization, giving them a highlight reel of its significance and explaining how this wealth of knowledge has been hidden from our youth in a most nefarious way. As Gen Z-ers are waking up from being woke and seeking this deficit of knowledge, I am hopeful that MP users won't be a bunch of fish swimming against the current too much longer.

Buying MP products from MP (supporting a small business I love) and teaching MP materials to my family helps me feel a part of a greater movement to restore virtue, integrity, faith and reason to our constitutional republic.
                          Mama to 2

Summer:
                          MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
                          SY 20/21
                          4A

Comment

...that almost everyone needs and utilizes outside help of some form by high school and many do this in middle school. This help includes options like live or recorded online courses, tutorial or co-op classes, bartering with other parents, dual-enrollment at a local college or online, etc.

Last year at Sodalitas I asked for a show of hands in the Veteran Roundtable session (last one on the page here, now free! https://www.memoriapress.com/streami...hering-videos/) to see how many, if anyone, did everything at home. Not. One. Hand. Now that certainly doesn't mean you can't fly solo through high school with a high level of parent investment and well-ordered materials. But that is not what most are doing. Most high school students are no longer being actively homeschooled by their parents. They themselves are the homeschoolers. Their experience more closely models college where they attend a class(es) once per week, whether in person or online, and then complete assignments and prepare during the week for the next meeting. Parents generally oversee the student's course of study and find opportunities that work with their plan, schedule, budget, and the student's outside commitments (interests, internships, jobs, etc.). Parents may teach their child a class or two in their area of personal expertise or passion. What that looks like varies widely. Parents keep the kids legal by reporting to the state or umbrella school as required and help with transcripts and the college application process, when applicable.

Our first six years of homeschooling we did everything at home with no outside help of any kind. I would have never guessed that this is what it looks like as kids age.

So if your oldest is a 6 year old and you spend afternoons hiding under the kitchen table breathing into a brown paper sack about teaching Calculus, Metaphysics, Dante, Cicero, and Chemistry, then take heart. Very few of us do that. I certainly do not!
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

2020-2021
                            11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

These are all so, so good!

I will add another that came to mind today:

....that your kids will moan and groan about every single aspect of school that they dislike; that their most favorite and least favorite subjects will vary by the year, the month, the week, and sometimes the day; that there will be eye-rolling over every thing that seems tedious; that they will ask to get out of at least some of their work every single day because kids (despite what you may have been told) are naturally LAZY;

AND.....

....that NONE of this is anything to be worried about!

These same kids that do all of these things LOVE their schooling, LOVE to argue and discuss, LOVE to pull things from what they have learned to try to win over someone else - even if its about the most ridiculous things - and that someday your child will come to you and thank you for giving him/her this education because it has prepared them so well for their next step in life.

There is so much tomfoolery about catering to what your kids want to do so that you don't squelch their love of learning. It's all hooey. Kids want to be smart - every single one of them. They want to know. But at the same time, they are kids and most of them do not want to work hard. Don't let that get in the way of challenging them to do their best on the hardest things. They are capable of so much more than they realize and the only way to tap into that potential is to meet them where they are and then challenge them to do more; to reach higher, to try again, to keep going. They will reach the end of the year and realize that they have done something really special, something they didn't think they could. And that feeling is addictive. It grows each and every year so that they come to expect great things from themselves for the rest of their lives. And that is one version of what is meant by "the pursuit of wisdom and virtue."

AMDG,
                              Sarah
                              2020-2021
                              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                              DS, 16
                              DD, 14
                              DD, 12
                              DD, 10
                              DD, 8
                              DD, 6
                              +DS+