Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting MP halfway through Grade 2?

Hello!

We are not new to homeschooling, but I am new to MP. I am considering the full second-grade package for my second grade daughter.

We have been using an eclectic approach including Horizons Math, Abeka Spelling, Phonics, Grammar, and Science, and STOW.

I would love any advice about how to start with MP mid-year (now! ). The thought would be we would start with Grade 3 in the fall (August or September). We follow a traditional schedule with a summer break, but I am considering shortening the break this year. DD is our only child and she does attend a one-day a week enrichment program so we would have four days for MP.

If we were to start now, would we be too behind for Grade 3 if we only made it through week 20 of Grade 2? Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Much of the beginning of all grades is review, so you could theoretically skip more of the beginning work and pick up in any of the subjects you're doing 7 or 8 weeks in. You could drop Prairie School as a lit selection (provided your daughter's reading is on level) and move right into the next book. There is a lot of reading and rereading that can be truncated for the accelerated reader. Decide if you want to tackle Prima Latina in its entirety. My daughter loved it, as it was only 5 or so words per week, and most of them were repeated in MP3's Latina Christiana, so finishing before you break for summer isn't imperative. If you're doing your own Enrichment, I'm guessing you are skipping MP2 Enrichment? That was one of my daughter's favorite parts, so at least get ahold of the selections from the library and read through them over the year or summer because they're not to be missed.

We joined MP in the Spring before MP2, so we wound up with a condensed run-through of R&S Arithmetic 1, MP1 Enrichment, the STT reading selections and an overview of their Copybook and NAC approach. It really helped us moving into MP2. I think any selections from MP2 will give your daughter a familiarity that will encourage autonomy in the later grades. More specifically, MP is wonderful because it has a reliable, predictable format that enables the student to focus on assimilating new information instead of grappling with constantly-changing approaches and instructions.
    Mama to 2

Summer:
    MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
    SY 20/21
    4A

Comment

Rather than rushing through the core, which would make your first experience of MP very tense, I would look at what is coming up in 3rd and then choose a couple of items from second that will shore up any gaps.

Third grade has a lot of writing, so if that is a weak spot stamina-wise, I would get one or two literature guides and work your way through them.

If addition and subtraction facts aren’t mastered (rapid recall), you can use MP’s arithmetic flash card set to work on that.

Latin can wait until third.

Even if writing stamina is fine, I would get a literature guide or two: enjoy the stories, learn how MP’s guides work (they’re meant to guide the child back through the story, not to be show-what-you-remember assignments), model how to develop complete answers, have wonderful discussions...this will make for a much better transition for both of you.
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
      DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
      DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
      DS11: SC 4
      DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
      DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
      DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

One more thought. There’s a favorite saying here on the forum: Festina Lentē — Make haste slowly. Keep that in the front of your mind as you plan your transition, and as you continue your homeschooling journey. It will help you be at peace no matter what comes up.
        Jennifer

Comment

Welcome to MP!

I agree with the advice you have gotten thus far. I remember that excitement of finding something new and wanting to jump all in right away. But taken too quickly, these new things can often lead to just as much frustration as what you were using before. And MP is definitely worth the effort that it takes to get good at it.

A good way of looking at the curriculum as a whole is to think of the natural divisions that exist.

K-2 is considered Primary School, and has a specific purpose - which is to build a solid foundation in reading, phonics, and the first two arithmetic processes of addition and subtraction.

3rd-6th (sometimes 7th too) is considered Grammar school. At this point, children are expected to be strong in their primary-school skills so that they can use those skills on new content. Thus the literature guides are a bit harder, they start Latin with a stronger course than Prima, they have actual courses to study - Christian Studies, States and Capitals, Greek Myths, etc.

What you have been using is not bad. I would seek to finish what you have, doing it well, rather than changing gears right now, near the end of primary school. As others have said, get a couple second grade lit guides so you can see what they are like and start the writing practice they contain. Make sure math facts for addition and subtraction are memorized. I would also look at getting any of the phonics or grammar work from second that looks like things your child hasn’t had enough of yet and try to include them in your week as much as possible.

MP is a strong, challenging curriculum. It can be a bit nerve-wracking to know whether your child will enter and do well, or whether gaps will show for having not done it from the beginning. Try not to worry! This is still you, doing it at home, with your child. Give yourself time to adjust. Try to learn how to do one or two new things really well the first year, and then a couple more the second year. By then, you both will be feeling a lot more confident. None of us does everything “perfectly.” Accept where you are to begin, and simply start making progress from there. We used a lot of other materials before MP had their grade levels all worked out, and were still able to start in fifth grade with our oldest. It’s been such a great and worthwhile path. Hang in there and take your time so that you are in it for the long haul!

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 8
          DD, 6
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

Thank you so much for all the lovely feedback and encouragement!

Here is what I am thinking we will do:

-continue our current story Bible and memory plan
            -continue Horizons Math, possibly supplement with Rod and Staff (we are already supplementing with daily drill worksheets)
            -switch to Traditional Spelling II
            -switch to English Grammar practice (are the student book and teacher book all we need for this?)
            -switch to Copybook I (she has been doing a D'Nealian copybook and needs some printing reinforcement, I think, before starting cursive)
            -try out Prima Latina
            -try out the study guide for Little House in the Big Woods.
            -American History read aloud
            -continue Abeka science
            -read aloud and reading practice, too!

Any other suggestions?

I do have one question: we've been influenced up until now by the Charlotte Mason narration approach. The literature study guides obviously ask for quite a bit of writing. What is the advantage of the study guides' approach (writing vs. narrating)?

Thanks again!

Comment

There are so many great threads and essays that have been written on this. Hopefully someone can link to a few as our school day is underway. We also switched from a CM Lit approach, which was transformative for my eldest. She is getting so much out of the books that we read slowly and with thought. Also, the point is not to have to write every single answer exactly as you see it in the guide. We come up with the answers together, I write them on a white board, and she starts the guide writing one of the best ones, and we work up her stamina to 3-4, or at least the important questions that end up on quizzes. It really can take the place of a writing curriculum. My daughter loved LHBW. Not every Enrichment activity has to be done, though
              Mama to 2

Summer:
              MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
              SY 20/21
              4A

Comment

Originally posted by lilamom View Post
                I do have one question: we've been influenced up until now by the Charlotte Mason narration approach. The literature study guides obviously ask for quite a bit of writing. What is the advantage of the study guides' approach (writing vs. narrating)?
                I wanted to make sure you got a response on this, but I'm dealing with major brain fog today so I hope this makes sense!

Writing and narration build different skills, so it's important to use both approaches, and to make sure that they are moving from concrete facts in the younger years to synthesis in the older years. While MP prioritizes writing, they also use narration throughout the Enrichment program, and in the student guide activities. It's actually used for every lesson in composition!

The advantage of the student guides is that they require a child to do more than simply summarize what they have read. This is where MP and CM differ. In CM, nothing is supposed to come between the child and the text. From my understanding, narrations are the young child's summary of what they have heard/read, and the older child's reflections on it, hopefully tying in with other things they have heard/read. But it's the child, the text, and their own memory and insight. With the guides (both the teacher and the physical student guide), our children are led to reflect on things they may not have picked up on while hearing/reading the text. This leads to deeper engagement and appreciation.

It's the difference between reading Aristotle on your own, and reading him with a doctor of philosophy who has been steeped in Aristotle for the past 30 years.

As for the writing portion: it helps solidify concepts in the child's memory because they are hearing, seeing, and writing. It also models/develops grammar, spelling, and composition skills, giving our children a firm foundation for written rhetoric. In a world where almost everything is discussed in writing (both online and in print), this is a priceless skill.

Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer-- what a great analogy about reading on your own and with a capable guide. Thank you for this great post!

Comment

Working...
                  X