Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"In-between Book" for boys.

Hello and Happy New Year!

I'm looking for insight for what I call "in-between books" for boys. Here's my story . . . my son is 12 (13 in early March) and not what I would call a particularly strong reader for his age. By this I mean that the books that interest him (action, a bit of violence, typically older style, historical, not fantasy) are just a bit above his comfort level and so he's shy to tackle them. For example, I borrowed G.A. Henty's Redskin and Cowboys for him because he is interested in the development of the West, but he said it was too hard. However, he is really enjoying listening to me read it to him. While I know I need to challenge his reading level, Henty's volumes are thick and the type is small, so I completely understand his hesitation. I have found Mary's wonderful book list on an older thread and Martin's list, and lots of other book references, but some authours/titles I don't recognize and I sometimes end up down a rabbit hole that doesn't produce a good result for my son.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has specifics for a boy looking for adventure stories that suit his age, but which are at a simpler level than Henty, but not as young as say Bulla's wonderful books. My son doesn't have any trouble with his school books, although he is still in grade 5 material. I could just give him the upcoming MP literature texts, but he'll be reading those anyway and I want to help him realize that there are books out there that he will interest him and that he can read on his own. His 11-year-old brother has always been a natural reader and enjoys the adventure series like Famous Five. But my almost 13-year-old is looking for more action. I don't think he would like the Percy Jackson books, and I would prefer older books where the manners and sensibilities are more clearly Christian, even when the people are shown in their sinfulness.

Any thoughts you could send my way will be greatly appreciated!

Monica
    Monica
    S - 14
    S - 12

My 12 yo son, who is not an avid reader, but loves to listen to me read or Audible, has really enjoyed the Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan. Little Britches by Ralph Moody was also a big hit. Another couple of ideas are the My Side of the Mountain series by Jean Craighead George and Rascal by Sterling North. If your son should decide to try fantasy, I would highly recommend Andrew Peterson’s Wingfeather Saga.

Melisa
    Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 11 years

dd - 11th grade using MP
    ds - 9th grade using MP and Kolbe Academy

Comment

Originally posted by Melisa Burke View Post
      My 12 yo son, who is not an avid reader, but loves to listen to me read or Audible, has really enjoyed the Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan. Little Britches by Ralph Moody was also a big hit. Another couple of ideas are the My Side of the Mountain series by Jean Craighead George and Rascal by Sterling North. If your son should decide to try fantasy, I would highly recommend Andrew Peterson’s Wingfeather Saga.

Melisa
      Another vote WITHOUT hesitation for the Wingfeather Saga. My boys (now 11) listened to it last year. It is completely captivating as an audiobook.
      If you don't want to buy it through Audible, you can see if it's available through Hoopla or Overdrive through your library system. It definitely fits your criteria of clearly Christian and shown in sinfulness.

Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
      DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
      DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
      DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
      DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
      DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

+ 1 for the John Flanagan books and I would like to add the Gerald Morris re-tellings of King Arthur.
        Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Monica,
          As as others suggested above, I would not hesitate to go heavy (and guilt-free) on audio books during this transition time. Especially if he is investing a lot of reading energy in school then leisure "reading" can be primarily by audio. I am constantly amazed at what a treasure trove is available to us on audio.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
          12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
          10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
          7th • HLN & Home
          4th • HLN & Home
          Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

FWIW, my eldest is extremely interested in biographies, and many historical figures have had gripping lives and stories to tell. My 9yo strong reader has asked for the Daniel Webster biography from this Sower Series that definitely weaves Providence into its narratives. There are many to pick from:

https://www.christianbook.com/the-sower-volumes/pd/94X
            Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
            Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
            SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

He might like books in Living History Library selections from Bethlehem Books. For example, The Winged Watchman by Hilda van Stockum is a very engaging WWII narrative.
              DS16, mix of MP and other resources 2021-2022

"[May] the peace of God, which passes all understanding, ... keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Comment

I loved the Dear America books as a kid. Those are a bit girl centric, but there is a "boy" series called My Name is America. They are out of print, but you can usually find some used copies. The books are written journal style and pretty fast-paced.

Comment

Thank you for all these recommendations! I'm looking into various titles. Any other insights are welcome. I learn so much from all of you.

Monica
                  Monica
                  S - 14
                  S - 12

Comment

Working...
                  X