Kindergarten Start Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindergarten Start Time

Forgive me if this is posted somewhere or if this is a moot point, but would it be okay to start the Kindergarten curriculum in January? I was wondering about activities and such....like, are there certain things that are planned around fall and winter/Thanksgiving and Christmas? Just curious if starting in the fall is better for those reasons....Thanks, all!

Hi andreamichele13 and welcome. You can (obviously) start at any point in time in the year. But yes, there are enrichment activities and stories that are timed in the curriculum to correspond to the typical starting time of late August/early September. My oldest is in the Kindergarten curriculum this year and it was really nice having season specific items all along the way. It would be possible to switch stories and enrichment activities around to their proper season but it would be a but of work. The choice is yours and only you know what would be best for your family.
    21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
    S - 7, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
    D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
    S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Beorn .....thank you! That's what I was assuming would be the case. I don't know that I'm up for having to move around the enrichment activities and books and such right now, so maybe I will wait until fall and be okay with that!

Comment

Welcome! Yes the Enrichment activities are scheduled to coincide with holidays, but that row in the Curriculum Manual can easily be moved to another week. Think of the entire week of enrichment as a block so the Read Aloud, art , music, poetry all move together and since they are in the same row, are easily adjusted. With the Curriculum Manual as your guide it is simply done!

Comment

Originally posted by andreamichele13 View Post
          Beorn .....thank you! That's what I was assuming would be the case. I don't know that I'm up for having to move around the enrichment activities and books and such right now, so maybe I will wait until fall and be okay with that!
          You are very welcome. It would not be the easiest thing to do, but it is possible. MP does make it easier with its curriculum guide all nicely laid out in a week by week subject layour. That said, lots of things tie together in the curriculum so each time you move somethings connections get severed, so just wait until fall and be okay with that.
          Last edited by Beorn; 12-20-2019, 05:50 PM.
          D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
          S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
            Welcome! Yes the Enrichment activities are scheduled to coincide with holidays, but that row in the Curriculum Manual can easily be moved to another week. Think of the entire week of enrichment as a block so the Read Aloud, art , music, poetry all move together and since they are in the same row, are easily adjusted. With the Curriculum Manual as your guide it is simply done!
            What Michelle T said, andreamichele13.
            D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
            S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Enigma ...thank you for that! Also, YAY for bonus babies!!!! My oldest and youngest are about 17 years apart and it's so fun!

Comment

An alternative viewpoint would be that it is really nice to let things line up. And I always support teaching a student who is older for grade due to the academically rigorous nature of MP and the resultant maturity that allows you to tackle so much of the good material. I haven't taught Kindergarten as we're in the SC track which usually blends two grades into one (but I have all the books, including K Enrichment, 3rd Edition). However, I have done MP1 & 2 Enrichment and MP3, and the skills always build sequentially. Being perpetually off-season for every year thereafter would drive me nuts. Looking at the K Enrichment, there is less cumulative learning than in older grades. Theoretically they could be done out of order to match the seasons (start at week 16 in January). Still, to be off for 1st and 2nd (where you notice it most, although Astronomy would have be adjusted in 3rd or 4th) would be an unwelcome nuisance.
                Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
                Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
                SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Working...
                X