SFL Lesson 8 - accusative or emphasis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SFL Lesson 8 - accusative or emphasis?

In Lesson 8, Workbook Section 3, Vos amat is translated as Hsi loves you all. I want to make sure I understand this correctly before explaining it to my son: do we know vos is being used as an accusative here because it does not agree with the 3P Singular ending of the verb? As opposed to Vos amamus?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
    DS18: Almost done!
    DS17: MP, MPOA
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD9: SC3
    DD6: MPK

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    In Lesson 8, Workbook Section 3, Vos amat is translated as Hsi loves you all. I want to make sure I understand this correctly before explaining it to my son: do we know vos is being used as an accusative here because it does not agree with the 3P Singular ending of the verb? As opposed to Vos amamus?
    Good afternoon Jen,

Yes, vos cannot be the subject of amat because vos is a 2nd person plural pronoun but amat is a 3rd person singular verb form. For vos to be the subject, the verb would have to be in the 2nd person plural as well. For the present tense of amo, this form is amatis. (Amamus is 1st person plural, so vos could not be its subject.)

Does that help? If not, please feel free to follow up with further questions!

Comment

Thank you! I knew I was messing it up, LOL!
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
      DS18: Almost done!
      DS17: MP, MPOA
      DS15: MP, MPOA
      DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
      DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
      DD9: SC3
      DD6: MPK

Comment

Working...