Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R&S Math grades 5 & 6 Review

Hello,
    When finishing a R&S math book mid-year, thus not requiring all the review to ease into the new text, how much of the grade 6 book would you say are review and not necessary if the child has good mastery of the grade 5 book?
    Thank you!
    Monica
    Monica
    S - 14
    S - 12

Hello.

R&S 6 is lots of review because the purpose is to solidify basic math skills before moving into more abstract prealgebra. For example, lesson 5 is column addition. Obviously, 6th graders can do column addition, but I was always amazed at the mistakes my students made in what seemed to me a simple task. So it would be good to spend a little time on every concept, even if they look like redundancy. My suggestion would be to go through every lesson, just letting your student do a few problems until you run into a concept that needs additional teaching or reinforcement for mastery.

The new concepts in 6th math are proportions (ratios) and some geometry and business math (percents and money). Everything else was review for mastery, I believe. It's been years since I taught, but that is my recollection. Someone who has taught it more recently may be of better help to you!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Hello.

R&S 6 is lots of review because the purpose is to solidify basic math skills before moving into more abstract prealgebra. For example, lesson 5 is column addition. Obviously, 6th graders can do column addition, but I was always amazed at the mistakes my students made in what seemed to me a simple task. So it would be good to spend a little time on every concept, even if they look like redundancy. My suggestion would be to go through every lesson, just letting your student do a few problems until you run into a concept that needs additional teaching or reinforcement for mastery.

The new concepts in 6th math are proportions (ratios) and some geometry and business math (percents and money). Everything else was review for mastery, I believe. It's been years since I taught, but that is my recollection. Someone who has taught it more recently may be of better help to you!

Tanya
      A belated Thank you, Tanya!

Monica
      Monica
      S - 14
      S - 12

Comment

Working...
      X