Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Best family games ages 6+

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I were discussing setting aside one night per week to play games as a family this winter. We thought that these games might make great Christmas gifts. Do you have any suggestions for us? We have a 6 year old (not really reading yet), an 11 year old, and a 13 year old.

Thanks!
    Cathy aka The Attached Mama
    2019-2020
    DS 12, 7th Grade
    DD 11, 6th Grade
    DS 5, K

Big fans of Labrynth over here. There are two versions, same games just different backgrounds.

I asked my kids opinions: Ant Colony for the little one. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is another good one. Connect Four, Guess Who are good old fashioned entertainment.

My first grader insists I include Chutes and Ladders- Frozen version. See, you ask their opinion and then they insist that it's included in your response.
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

So, so many.

Apples to Apples

Settlers of Catan junior version
      My First Ticket to Ride

** these junior versions are fun, and I don't have to spend 2 hours playing a game**

Sleeping Queens
      Wig Out
      Sushi Go

Pass the Pigs

Farkle

There's another fun dice game ---- Tenzi, I think?

Also, what about jigsaw puzzles?

Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
      DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
      DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
      DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
      DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
      DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Ticket to Ride is excellent. There's also a junior version. I also second Catan. Monopoly jr is very good for kids as young as 5, but likely boring for teens. I'd stick with TTR regular and Catan regular, instead of junior, and just know that the 6 year old can play on a team or get some help for a bit. The kids will have more fun and be more engaged than with the babying type games.

Comment

We have had some success with multiple ages with card games like Uno, Hearts, and Blackjack (usually with all cards showing against the "house." We also like Sorry, Yahtzee, and Scrabble when we travel. We help the littlest one, but it's good training.
          Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
          Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
          SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Spot it!
            (Plus extra words so I can post...)
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
            12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
            10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
            7th • HLN & Home
            4th • HLN & Home
            Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

My current 6 yr old’s favorite “big people” games are Dixit, Carcassonne, and Forbidden Island.
              The rest of the family absolutely loves Catan. We play at least once a week. Second favorite is Azul.
              Other hits are a Dominion, El Dorado, Ticket to Ride Europe, 7 Wonders, Pandemic, Splendor, Castles of Burgundy, Blokus, and Sequence.
              Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
              DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
              DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
              DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
              (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
              DS, 20, Physics major
              DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
              DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
              DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

We played regular Catan when dd was little, but dropped some of the 7 combinations for the robber to make things go faster and have less penalty.
                Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
                  My current 6 yr old’s favorite “big people” games are Dixit, Carcassonne, and Forbidden Island.
                  The rest of the family absolutely loves Catan. We play at least once a week. Second favorite is Azul.
                  Other hits are a Dominion, El Dorado, Ticket to Ride Europe, 7 Wonders, Pandemic, Splendor, Castles of Burgundy, Blokus, and Sequence.
                  Blokus is a favorite here, too. I love it when a little person can beat an older one.
                  Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

Comment

Second ticket to ride. My first grader also loves Life (we have an older version from when I was a kid). For a short card game he loves sleeping queens.
                    Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                    15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                    DD College Freshman
                    DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                    DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                    DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                      Spot it!
                      (Plus extra words so I can post...)
                      I second the Spot it! Blink is another great one. Even my young 6 year old can play these.
                      Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
                      DS (MP3A) - 8
                      DS (1) - 7
                      DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Comment

Five Crowns.

We just got it at Thanksgiving and it’s already a favorite. It’s longer, because there’s lots of rounds of play, but if littles get tired, you can end it or have someone else sub in.

AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        2020-2021
                        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                        DS, 17
                        DD, 15
                        DD, 13
                        DD, 11
                        DD, 9
                        DD, 7
                        +DS+
                        DS, 2

Comment

I played Pandemic yesterday for the first time. It's a good one. Probably would need some adaption for a 6 year old.

2021-2022

Comment

My almost 8 year got the game Dragonwood for Christmas yesterday and I think she’s played it 5 times already. Lots of adding, and even some multiplication. “All 3 dice say 3, so that’s nine!” The game itself is just hard enough to keep it interesting, so I think it will have a lot of replay value for kids and adults alike.

Comment

Working...
                            X