Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brainstorm gifts that could be used for homeschooling??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brainstorm gifts that could be used for homeschooling??

The past few years DH's parents have been wanting to give us something we could use for homeschooling as a Christmas gift. However, they don't seem to want to give an experience, so things like memberships of classes don't interest them. So far we have received a very nice microscope and a digital piano. I am struggling coming up with an idea this year. I have a child in 7th, 6th, 3rd and K. The other challenge is that it would be nice for it to be something that would garner a bit of excitement from the kids, so probably not next years math, you know? Oh, and not anything like a laptop, although that would be great for our online classes. So far all I can think of is a nice science set, something we could use for high school level classes. Anyone else have any ideas?

Oh, in-laws! I've only been successful with grandparents choosing quasi-educational gifts for my kids who show genuine interest in what they ask for. My eldest was able to show true elation over 3 books from MP: An Old-fashioned Thanksgiving, Childhood of Famous Americans Louisa May Alcott, and A Little House Christmas Treasury. We're asking for a world map puzzle for my rising K-er, and we got a foam letter puzzle and number peg toy last year.

My 3rd grader loves MadLibs, which can teach English grammar (identifying parts of speech). Extreme Dot to Dot books teach number sequencing. She also loves mazes, which aren't super educational, but they sharpen spacial awareness, pencil grip and fine motor skills. Usborne has a ton of those, and of course my favorite is Totally Awesome Mazes and Puzzles. https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/total...ing/1126628373

My 6th grader niece is into books for her Kindle, so Amazon gift cards are her cup-of-tea.

We love Legos Architecture Sets and 3D puzzles of historical buildings around here. They are expensive, but they let everyone join in on the fun, and you can use some MP material to read aloud about the locations.
    Btw, I saw Target has the Capitol building half price right now
    https://www.target.com/p/lego-archit...BoCDQQQAvD_BwE
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
    DD 8-3A
    DS 5-SC C

Comment

We have found these to be very helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07N7N5SMR Click image for larger version

Name:	41UDfGSixzL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	117827
      2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
      S - 5, K @ home and HLN
      D - 3, rising through minor leagues quickly
      S - 2, the master of disasters

Comment

Originally posted by Beorn View Post
        We have found these to be very helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07N7N5SMR Click image for larger version

Name:	41UDfGSixzL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	117827
        I JUST picked up two sets of these for our family. (huge deal at Michaels) I'm going to use them to organize our card games and dice games.

For your previous question, it's gotten better over the years. I've learned to just give my mother specifics and hope for the best. All of my kids' grandparents like to give something to open, which eliminates the memberships like zoos, museums, etc.

One thing my mother has done for the past few years is buy a family game for my crew.

If you did something like Ticket to Ride, that COULD help with geography. Stack the States or Sequence States might be another idea.
        Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
        DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
        DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
        DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
        DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
        DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

I JUST picked up two sets of these for our family. (huge deal at Michaels) I'm going to use them to organize our card games and dice games.

For your previous question, it's gotten better over the years. I've learned to just give my mother specifics and hope for the best. All of my kids' grandparents like to give something to open, which eliminates the memberships like zoos, museums, etc.

One thing my mother has done for the past few years is buy a family game for my crew.

If you did something like Ticket to Ride, that COULD help with geography. Stack the States or Sequence States might be another idea.
          I have JUST been wondering about something to handle our growing collection of card games! Awesome idea!

Beorn , thanks for posting that!

As to the original question, have your kids taken to the piano they gave you? Maybe some resources to help them play, or even to expand on their instrument collection - violin, guitar, clarinet??? Noise cancelling headphones for you and your dh?

Books and games are all that truly spring to mind. Your original post wiped out laptop, museum memberships, classes, etc. Hope you get more ideas!

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
          DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 7.5
          DD, 5.5
          +DS+
          DS, 18 months

Comment

How about better desks? I'm thinking about changing out our desks to these for the school room. I already own this exact one but it's in the boy's room for my oldest to draw on. Xmas gift last year and dearly loved. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 But they would make awesome school desks.
            Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
            DS (MP2) - 7/8
            DS (K) - 6
            DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
              How about better desks? I'm thinking about changing out our desks to these for the school room. I already own this exact one but it's in the boy's room for my oldest to draw on. Xmas gift last year and dearly loved. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 But they would make awesome school desks.
              Pretty sure Mama is getting a comfy desk chair. It'll be a huge upgrade from the dented folding chair that currently occupies that spot! Woohoo!
              Amanda
              Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

One year we got a smart globe. I thought it was total overkill-- I just wanted a globe. But the smart pen tells them facts about the countries it touches, plays their national anthem, talks about climate, etc. So they like it and it's been useful. My almost 3 year old the other day was playing with it and the globe asked where Brazil was. I said "It's asking where Brazil is, honey, I think that's too hard for you." And this 2 year old matter of factly turns to me and says "Mom, Brazil is right here" and she pointed right to it! I later found out that the older girls just love the song that plays for Brazil, so even the non readers can find it. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Emily L View Post
                  One year we got a smart globe. I thought it was total overkill-- I just wanted a globe. But the smart pen tells them facts about the countries it touches, plays their national anthem, talks about climate, etc. So they like it and it's been useful. My almost 3 year old the other day was playing with it and the globe asked where Brazil was. I said "It's asking where Brazil is, honey, I think that's too hard for you." And this 2 year old matter of factly turns to me and says "Mom, Brazil is right here" and she pointed right to it! I later found out that the older girls just love the song that plays for Brazil, so even the non readers can find it. Lol.
                  Awesome idea! I had an electronic geography game as a kid that I LOVED. I bet this will be my kids' favorite Christmas present. Thanks!!
                  Amanda
                  Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Working...
                  X