Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rod and Staff Grade 1 Class Activities

Hey all,
    I was just wondering how much of the class activities you all use in the Teacher's Manuals? My daughter is in Grade 1. I'm happy with her progress. We don't do all the class actitivites--usually try to review/drill her numbers and facts and new material. Still, am I doing enough by focusing on that? Is there a way to streamline the class instructions better so that I don't miss things (instead of modifying on the fly)?

I do have a little boy (turns 4 on Sunday) that I'm juggling during school time. He does all right playing for a while, but is starting to get bored. (Christmas is coming!)
    I'm always nervous about making it through all the review I'm supposed to do with my daughter.
    Thanks,
    Rita

Originally posted by MaestRita View Post
    Hey all,
    I was just wondering how much of the class activities you all use in the Teacher's Manuals? My daughter is in Grade 1. I'm happy with her progress. We don't do all the class actitivites--usually try to review/drill her numbers and facts and new material. Still, am I doing enough by focusing on that? Is there a way to streamline the class instructions better so that I don't miss things (instead of modifying on the fly)?

I do have a little boy (turns 4 on Sunday) that I'm juggling during school time. He does all right playing for a while, but is starting to get bored. (Christmas is coming!)
    I'm always nervous about making it through all the review I'm supposed to do with my daughter.
    Thanks,
    Rita
    Good afternoon Rita,

While you wait to hear from some fellow forum members, I wanted to share with you a previous thread, A Quick R&S Question, which addresses this very issue. I hope it is helpful!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Hi Rita!

It really seems to depend on the family/child, but I can share what we do: when we sit down to do the lesson, I try to cover any mental math exercises, skip counting, number sense (before/after/between), and prep-for-future-lessons type work. If I feel they need more practice in a particular concept that is included in the "chalkboard time," then I pull out a small whiteboard and we practice on there.

I don't read the scripts for the actual concepts — except for the whole/part terminology as that has been very helpful. I just present the rest in my own words. The scripts feel forced/fake in a home setting. For anything that needs props (coins, etc) I just pull out what's in my purse. We also use a dry-erase clock that I printed out and put inside a laminating pouch. I loved our Judy Clock, but the kids kept breaking it!

As you progress in the program in grades 1-3, some extra tips:

Some kids need the charts (sail boats, clovers, blossoms/bees, etc) while other kids don't; but you also don't want to go through the year and then find out that a visual would have helped! Here are some options:
      • Make them all at a reduced size and store them in a binder (see this thread: https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...925-r-s-math-2)
      • Just use the mini versions that are at the top of the workbook pages and have your student color them in during the lesson (thanks to pickandgrin for that idea!)
      • Show your child the samples that are in the front of the TM. This works especially well for the "terms" posters that show up in R&S 3
      HTH!
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
      MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
      MPOA: High School Comp. II
      HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
      MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
      MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
      HSC: Modern European History

DS12
      7M with:
      Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
      SC Level 4

DD9
      3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
      Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
      SC Level C

Comment

I made the boats poster (and later the bees & blossoms for 2nd grade R&S math). It didn't take long, and it became a fun visual way to think of the problems. You can even draw them in chalk on the garage floor in the winter (if you have one) and start talking about whole and parts. I had white and blue chalk, and I would fill in white boats with blue as we went up in numbers to repeat the parts and wholes of numbers.

If you read some reviews on milestomilestonebooks about R&S math, many parents who concentrated solely on the workbook activities missed out on a ton of good mathematical content in the TM. Like Jennifer, I would do as much as you can.
        Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
        DD 8-3A
        DS 5-SC C

Comment

Agreeing to simply do as much as you can. You do get really fast going through those steps and realize what things are doubling up (before class/after class). Sometimes you can lump those together or they come up in the regular MP recitation for the day (skip counting, etc.).
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
          @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
          S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
          D · 8th
          D · 5th
          S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
          X