Christmas hymns playlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas hymns playlist

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that my children are almost completely Christmas hymn illiterate. Between our old church's push for contemporary praise songs and a near full pull-out children's ministry that landed 20 min into the service, even if there was a traditional Christmas hymn sung, they missed it.

I would like to reclaim the years the locusts ate and at least let them hear them during our day. I've gone through 8-9 playlists, but I haven't found any classic hymns sung with words on Amazon Prime music...yet.

I was really hoping for choral voices that are clear and easy to understand, no twangy country or sektualized (read between the lines) pop artists, with traditional piano, organ or orchestra accompaniment.

Bonus if the playlist is on YouTube or Prime Music.

I have an old hymnal-and I can sight read, but I really want to flood their brains with the tunes and verses before we attack these songs in earnest.

Thanks!
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
    DD 8-3A
    DS 5-SC C

These are by far my favorite Christmas cds.
    https://www.cantius.org/go/webstore/...ory/christmas/
    Amanda
    Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

^^^^^^ That is truly beautiful. Thanks for sharing. ^^^^^
      Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
      DD 8-3A
      DS 5-SC C

Comment

You can't go wrong with the King's College Choir, Cambridge, UK: we have a CD titled Noel that is very beautiful, but they have a ton of Christmas recordings, and I'm sure a lot of them are on Prime and YouTube. Another super super favorite in our house is Christmas in Harvard Square, sung by the Boys of St. Paul's Choir School. The Cambridge Singers have also good recordings, we have Christmas with the Cambridge Singers and I think it's lovely. Puer Natus Est, sung by the Dominicans in Washington, DC is on Prime, as is Advent at Ephesus, sung by the sweet Benedictine nuns of the Ephesus Abbey just outside Kansas City (they also have two other Chrismas music CDs, Christmas at Ephesus and Caroling at Ephesus). Have you heard of the Chanticleer singers? It's not everyone's cup of tea, but they are striking: their CD Our Favorite Carols is on Prime. I haven't listened to it, but how about trying Medieval Carols sung by the Oxford Camerata, also included with Prime?

Nerdmom, thank you for your suggestion, it will be this year's addition to our collection: great music, and supporting a great parish!

Comment

Also, to supplement your hymnal, here's a splendid collection of Christmas carols, great to play on the family piano!
          https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Ch...dp/1475217552/

Comment

I love Anuna's Christmas stuff. They sing my favorite version of my favorite carol, Noel Nouvelet.

Comment

These are some beautiful suggestions. Thank you ladies. It is nice to add new favorites to the playlist. One of my past favorites has been Tatiana's Emmanuel cd.

Comment

My favorite mix is Pandora's Christmas Choral Classics station. Just different choral pieces for Christmas, sung by beautiful choirs. Mostly hymns for obvious reasons. Takes all the guess work out of it for me.

Comment

I really like Voces8, and their 2011 release "Christmas" may have some winners for you. Many of them are in Latin!
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
                  @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                  S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                  D · 8th
                  D · 5th
                  S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
                  X