No announcement yet.

Example of a "good" day - share!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday: had to be at local bricks and sticks school with three kids fed and dressed by 7:45 in order to lead the girl scout flag presentation for veterans day. How does the rest of community do this on a daily basis? I spent the rest of the day recovering from an asthma flare-up and subsequent migraine.

Tuesday: our monthly volunteer day at the community food pantry. While making supper, the stove caught fire. Like, electrical fire. Saved supper, but had to flip breakers to get the fire out. No damage. Whew.

Wednesday: the youngest, playing her version of Marco Polo with 5 stocking caps pulled down over her face, crashed into a door jam and re-arranged her two upper front teeth. She pushed them in so that they were pointing towards the back of her mouth. Google informed me this was a "dental emergency". The dentist agreed. Swell. There are no dentists in the county we live in. Commence the rapid packing of overnight bags and trying to call the hubby at the office to explain why we were fleeing. Four hours later we arrived in Denver.

Thursday: 8am appointment. Child, hoping to avoid the dentist appt, forcefully pulled her teeth back into alignment. Commence heavy bleeding and screeching. The dentist was shocked at childs toughness and said she no longer needed an immediate double extraction. X-rays showed no bone or tooth trauma, so she was given until Thanksgiving to wiggle them out herself.

Friday: kids and I enjoyed the nice balmy sunshine at 65 degrees and tried to recuperate. Also went stove shopping. The earliest they could get the stove in store was 21st.

Saturday: Drive home with two front teeth still in place and no stove. Then it started snowing. It was 23 degrees when we got home.

The score:
    Chaos: daily (flag ceremony, asthma, stove fire, teeth, emergency dentist appointment, etc)
    School: big fat zero

But next week starts fresh, right?
    Last edited by Colomama; 11-16-2019, 10:17 PM.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Colomama,
      Whoa. THAT is a week for the memory books.

Geesh.

Hugs to you, friend!
      AMDG,
      Sarah
      2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
      DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 7.5
      DD, 5.5
      +DS+
      DS, 18 months

Comment

Colomama,
        Hugs!!! I don’t think you will soon forget that week. Yes, next week starts fresh and it appears to have lots of room for improvement ;-)
        Dorinda

For 2019-2020
        DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
        DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
        DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
        DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

I realize this thread is a bit older but wanted to pipe in. School has been hit or miss with many false runs at labor and delivery. Then, however, on November 7th, it was the real deal and the youngest of our students joined us at 12:31 AM a whole 9 lbs 12 oz. He and I spent a not good week (although it could have been worse) in the NICU while my husband worked from home while keeping the other four kiddos alive, but not so much "in school work". (More details on Instagram - CherryBlossomMJ) We came home on Nov. 14th, and for the most part at this time I cannot fully tell you what day it is, or half the time, what time of day it is (pitch black dark at 5 PM REALLY?). I missed all the leaves falling and apparently while when we drove into the hospital it was 54 degrees, it was a good 20 most of the days since, ha.

In my brain, I am chanting reading, writing, and arithmetic. Hoping that this will influence our days. Although I left my kiddo alone today because she appeared to be working and found out later she spent 4.5 hours on science... Yesterday, she did a bit of FMOR. It seems we are starting to see that full classical core is not necessarily best for us, but I'm not sure if it a season or learning preference. But for the classics and Latin, we are strong.
          Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020 · 8th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
          Trekking along at a student self-pace...
          DD Summer 2009 · 5th
          DD Summer 2011 · SC4
          DS Summer 2014 · JrK/K
          DD Summer 2017 · Pre
          DS …EDD 11/2019

Memoria Scholé Academy
          Blog: Creative Madness Mama
          CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Yay for you guys! Congratulations to the whole family. A rough start for the little guy...but holey shamoley a big boy! Kudos to you both.

Prayers of rest, recovery and family bonding. Enjoy this amazing holiday season.
            Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
            DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
            DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
            Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
            Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Congratulations, Margaret! Truly a Thanksgiving blessing!

Tanya

Comment

Yes- I am always late to the party. We have had sickness that seems to be cycling. I made D and F do their work yesterday despite sniffles and hacking coughs. Today was a total wash. I'm calling it vacation. S is home for the week from University and Hubby is also home which is awesome. M keeps getting up at 5 AM! and won't go back to sleep. And I lost M's lesson plans. ME!

Tahara- Year round schooling works great! Very freeing, but I don't know what your State laws are. NJ, isn't it? Hope you are feeling better.

Hugs to Colomama. You win. Hopefully, that is a one off week.

Congratulations to CherryBlossom and family!! I had big babies, too. Recovery is a bear. I don't do Instagram, but from your hint, it sounds like it was a tough one. I'm glad you are both ok now.

To everyone else: this too shall pass and frankly I will SO miss it! When it gets to be too much, prayer is my solace. I know I'm preaching to the choir here. (And using an inordinate amount of cliches.)
                The Homeschool Grads:
                J- 6/96
                S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                G- 4/04
                D- 5/05
                F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                M- 9/16

Comment

Congratulations, Margaret! What a wonderful reason to have everyone else cook this week! Your boy is beautiful, and I’m so thankful he is home and doing so much better! We had M at St. Francis instead of going all the way to Germantown, which had better nurses (it sounds like) but same food situation. I scoured out the cafeteria during my tour and asked the folks down there if they knew what celiac was. Blank stares. I ate bars and dh brought me take out or food from home. Unbelievable in a HOSPITAL - especially with your being there a whole week! Ugh!

And here it is the Wednesday before Thanksgiving....hugs and prayers to all you wonderful folks!

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                  DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                  DS, 16
                  DD, 14
                  DD, 12
                  DD, 10
                  DD, 7.5
                  DD, 5.5
                  +DS+
                  DS, 18 months

Comment

Wow - Congrats on that awesome baby boy!!!! And hugs. Seriously. I feel like week 3 post labor is my worst week - something about no back to back REM sleep cycles.... Enjoy those cuddles for the rest of us.

Anyone fighting a cold after getting together with family?
                    This is random, and I don't know how I stumbled on it, but apparently Zinc (50mg) will slow viral replication significantly - read "Stop a cold fast". Worked for hubby, myself, and my sister. One or two would have been a coincidence, but my sister lives across the country and it did the same for her - twice. Just don't take it on an empty stomach. You won't be happy. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3394849/
                    Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                    DS (MP2) - 7/8
                    DS (K) - 6
                    DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                      Nothing significant to add about school, but I did just feed my youngest this for dinner tonight. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191112-203514_Instagram.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	117646
                      Hey! It's a meal without High Fructose Corn Syrup! And that's hard to accomplish nowadays. You're all right Mama! God bless you.

Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                      DS (MP2) - 7/8
                      DS (K) - 6
                      DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Working...
                      X