Example of a "good" day - share!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Example of a "good" day - share!

Boy the board has been quiet lately! I hope everyone has been busy homeschooling and loving their days!

But I also know that all of that quiet can mean a bit of suffering through the tough daily discipline of school, and approaching burnout levels for some.

Thankfully the holidays and a forced break will be upon all of us soon, and I encourage everyone to not care what week their planners say

But for now, I thought it would be fun to share what yesterday was like in our house since it felt like an example of the sorts of days that happen around here - both to offer a glimpse of experience, but also to hopefully remind anyone out there who needs it that homeschooling happens in the midst of life - and not the other way around!

We went to bed Sunday with several things known: had to get sophomore to community college for math class at 8am, dh would be gone for the evening for work, we needed to get laundry done, and there was a strong chance for snow.

We woke Monday morning to realize that yes, snow fell - and was continuing to fall. Blowing, blustery type snow. Frigid wind chill. Three kids woke up with sore throats and coughs. Kept everyone home with teen daughter, watching Wild Kratts. Sophomore with learner's permit got to dive into the deep end of winter weather driving. He did great, but the 25 minute drive took us 45 minutes. And he had a test. Teacher was great though and let him start it with extra time to finish. Drive home was the same. Our normal 2 hour outing took 3.5 hours, plus stopping to return library books.

Once home, started one of the six loads of laundry that needed to get done, and caught up with kitchen, emails, and kids for an hour. Then had son drive again as we took him to work (weather still nasty and blustery with very snowy streets). Came home to help with lunch and clean up, change laundry, put the little guy down for a nap, and start school with my two primary age kids and one middle schooler - all until my teen reminded me that we were going to have a roast for dinner. Raced downstairs to desperately get roast into the oven so that it would be done by dinner time. Changed laundry again. Answered math question from same teen who was on top of the roast issue.

Wrapped up school in time to pull roast out of the oven right before leaving to pick up son from work. Kids watched Little House on the Prairie (more tv - ugh!) Saw college daughter arriving at same place to start her shift and got a quick hug. Got home in time to change laundry again, warm up baked beans, and deal with the roast that was much tougher than expected. Changed plan to be roast beef sandwiches on the fly to account for terrible roast. Changed laundry again after dinner.

Kitchen cleaned up, prayers said, kids sent to bed with cough medicine and lots of blankets. In walked dh whose night away became unnecessary because meetings reached a settlement instead of needing the second day of meetings. Whoo hoo - but still, unexpected change! Said hello as changed laundry and made sure teens had what they needed for evening homework. Prayed for college daughter who needed to drive home in below-zero windchills. Began folding the now-piled-up clean laundry. Welcomed college daughter home safely and soundly and chatted with her over more laundry folding. One more laundry change to get last load in the dryer. Headed upstairs for the night. whew.

To save you from needing to reread, I accomplished dinner (despite the unforeseen terrible roast); completed all the laundry (despite several loads remaining to be folded in the morning); did school with only three children out of our 6 homeschoolers; and spent 4.5 hours driving in slow, winter weather.

Today, checking in with the three I missed yesterday! And so it goes...

SO now please share...How's YOUR journey going???

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
    DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 7.5
    DD, 5.5
    +DS+
    DS, 18 months

I'm 41 today!

Actually, I'm feeling great. The world is about to go nuts for us, but I feel strangely calm. Upcoming move. Upcoming change of life patterns. Yet I'm not worried. I just took an unplanned 2 week break from homeschool, but I'm not all that worried because the longer breaks that I usually take in the winter months may not happen this year. As weird as it sounds, I may actually get ahead of schedule compared to my usual run. I'm just not sure what to think of that. I'm just now back into the swing of things. Sort of.
    Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
    DS (MP2) - 7/8
    DS (K) - 6
    DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
      I'm 41 today!

Actually, I'm feeling great. The world is about to go nuts for us, but I feel strangely calm. Upcoming move. Upcoming change of life patterns. Yet I'm not worried. I just took an unplanned 2 week break from homeschool, but I'm not all that worried because the longer breaks that I usually take in the winter months may not happen this year. As weird as it sounds, I may actually get ahead of schedule compared to my usual run. I'm just not sure what to think of that. I'm just now back into the swing of things. Sort of.
      Happy Birthday, Melissa! <3
      Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
      DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
      DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

I woke up super tired and started not to feel well but decided we needed to do school anyway. Worked with 5th grader for two hours while older guys did their work and younger kids played loudly. Continued to feel “off,” and then found 7yo looking like she was about to throw up, so got prepared for that. Turns out she never ate breakfast and was feeling nauseous from no food. Finished working with 5th grader. Met with 7th grader for 30 minutes, but it didn’t end on a positive note. Then 7yo has a headache again and is obviously coming down with something. Lunch with her in my lap, feeling queasy while I eat, reminded 4th grade DD to do poem copywork (can tell we won’t be getting to her schooling today...and we’re still wrapping up last week’s work for her). Read two of the SC4 myth read-alouds. That will have to be school for the girls today. Worked on social media post for my son’s wood-turning business while 7yo tosses/turns and falls asleep in my lap. Dad (works from home) came in early from the office and got kids to clean up the house. I’m currently upstairs laying down with 7yo. Big kids will make dinner. And school will be there tomorrow (unless someone else gets sick!) 😊
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
        MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
        MPOA: High School Comp. II
        HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
        MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
        MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
        HSC: Modern European History

DS12
        7M with:
        Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
        SC Level 4

DD9
        3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
        Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
        SC Level C

Comment

Yes, not a good school day today, but we're where we're supposed to be, so I'm not freaking out.

I awoke to 7 loads of laundry on the living room floor from our 4-day trip to the mountains (sheets & towels extraordinaire), a guest room to make up for 7 house guests coming this weekend, and chicken noodle soup to make with carrots unpeeled and celery unchopped.

I drilled the eldest for an hour for a Latin Test we never got to last week. We read the Bible for an hour (but nothing from CSI). Then, I set her up with math to copy while starting Recitation with the youngest, who woke up at 10, wet the bed, and insisted upon a hot bath. We got two letters written before lunch was started for the eldest, the guest bed got cleared of Legos, we folded half the laundry, and dressed for PE, then left.

When we got home, my youngest did 8 lines of review letters, then danced to the Nutcracker while I deligated dinner to hubby, who came home early (because snow mix). I got every sock matched, every sheet folded and all beds remade. House: 1, School: 1/2

Days where we come back from vacay are harder than others. I'm trying to find the joy in how much we've gotten done thus far. I know that The Gingerbread Boy is coming up, and I'd like to make cookies this week, and I'm realizing that so long as the big picture stuff gets done, the rest is gravy.
          Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
          DD 8-3A
          DS 5-SC C

Comment

Prelude to yesterday...last Monday the day started off with men roaming though my backyard, Diesel engines humming in the front...the power company finally showed up to trim trees along the power line behind us. By Wednesday the power company is around the corner and the township decides to start their sidewalk repair program on our street. Now I have the hum of chainsaws, concrete saws, more Diesel engines, and slabs of concrete crashing into the dump truck as a backdrop to school...along with a grumpy, congested 6yo who has needed help all week blowing his nose. Friday all the boys were supposed to leave for a campout so I could clean up, relax, have some peace and quiet...except that it was supposed to get into the 20s at night so the 6yo had to stay home and by evening I had a sore throat and headache. Whole weekend a bust for housework.

yesterday:
            My husband woke me up at 5:30 to tell me to turn off my alarm because he would pick our daughter up from swim practice. I groggily tell him he doesn’t have to make himself late for work, but he reminds me it’s a holiday. Oops...forgot that one. I roll over and happily go back to sleep.

My husband helped motivate the troops all day which was great. He played math games, had the 6yo old read Ping to him, that sort of stuff. He fixed lunch It was good because I was still sick enough from the weekend to have been a pushover if home alone. However, I did feel like we had to be on our best behavior because daddy is so seldom home to witness school. It was a weird day because it snowed from about 8:00am to early this morning and we had a record snowfall of 8.5” and everything was canceled. The house still needs cleaning, but at least school got done
            Dorinda

For 2019-2020
            DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
            DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
            DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
            DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Nothing significant to add about school, but I did just feed my youngest this for dinner tonight. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191112-203514_Instagram.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	117646
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
              @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
              D · 8th
              D · 5th
              S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Our days have been going as good as I guess they can with 6 kids 9 and under. I am doing Core 3A and 4 and then First Start Reading, Rod and Staff Math, and Read Alouds with my 6 year old. I am pretty sure my 4 year old has a mixture of OCD and ADHD; he is number 4 out of the 6 and I have never had a child so challenging. The only way to keep him occupied is to allow him to make forts all day and move chairs and other small pieces of furniture throughout the house. This idea of a busy bin ect.. does not work for him; he wants to use gross motor skills everyday! We start school at 8 with math and move to language arts and literature. No matter where we are we take a break from 11-12. Once lunch is finished my kids have to play outside until 12:00 so I can get some order back to the house. At 12:00 we have a read aloud and then I get my two year old down for a nap; if I am lucky my four year old will nap. My oldest two finish up their rotating study and we do latin together. 2:30 we have a snack and my older two take turns at the piano. 3:30-4:30 is mandatory outdoor time for everyone; including myself. My four and two year old want to ride bikes, scooter, and climb trees. I can not keep everyone in the house all day; there is way too much energy! This is what a good day looks like for us; but I am really struggling with exhaustion and anxiety (mostly because I don't feel great, which I am sure is due to sleep deprivation).
                Abel (9) MP 4/ Lydia 7.5) MP A3/ James (6) First Start Reading and Rod and Staff 1/ Micah (4)/ Nathanael (2)/ Silas Born 7/13/2019

Comment

Purged our homeschool room, had a shoulder MRI and did a mountain of laundry over the weekend. Didn't leave the house Monday because of the above mentioned snow (we got around 6 inches on top of ice). The day stuck at home forced us to catch up on some things that often spill over into the next weekend.

Yesterday was a doctor's appointment to follow up while dd worked at home, then I took her to work with her math tutor, donated 4 boxes of books to neighboring library that has a homeschool honor bookshelf, took dd to her last dual-credit class, went shopping, cooked a lot of food for an out of town trip to see our adult kiddos and grandbaby next weekend and worked in the evening. Nobody is sick (yay!) and am relieved that we made the choice to drop the dual credit class for a W. It was an elective, and dd (along with most of the class apparently) had a C. I'm seeing glimmers of independence and maturity. The only things we are "behind on" are PE and Health.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring, though.
                  Last edited by bean; 11-13-2019, 06:22 AM.
                  Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post

Today, checking in with the three I missed yesterday!
                    I have a 4 week old, so I can't really contribute to what a good day looks like because I'm still getting my feet under me. But this made me wonder about something.

You have three that you didn't get to check in with for a day. What does it look like when you do check in with them? Do you have an idea or you know that they have been doing their work all day and completed it at some point, or?

I'm finding that baby +1st grader are making it so I can't check in as often with my older two right as often as I would like. Some days this goes fine and they do their work because they want to get to their free time or whatever else is going on in the neighborhood. Actually, I'm still pretty on top of my 5th grader because he's always needed it, so it's really the 7th grader that is taking a turn for the worst. Some days, and with increasingly more frequency, I'm finding that not checking in *regularly* or having him in my line of sight is resulting in work not getting done (for example, sitting for an hour with a workbook & textbook out while drawing, etc.) or doing poor work (writing single word or sloppy answers). This is resulting in me coming to check in and being...displeased. And it is resulting in really long school days which feel like a punishment for all of us. And of course I feel like an ogre when I make him redo things or work late because he does have a lot of work that is difficult. Obviously I'm still postpartum and we have Dad going out of town for long stretches so things seem heavier on my shoulders than normal, but I really do have a sense of things going not well when I can't check in for a day, or even for the morning. Up until this year, I've had mostly success with this person wanting to get their work done well because they want their own time. Now, not so much and the only thing that has changed is the kids' ages. But it is middle school and 12yo and a lot of physical changes going on.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm just feeling like I need some advice on how to deal with this "not able to check in" concept because it's causing some real strife here where it hasn't before. Maybe it needs a new thread?
                    Jodi
                    ~~~~~~~
                    2019-20 School Year:
                    Ethan (7A)
                    Matthew (5A)
                    Silas (1st)
                    Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                    Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Originally posted by JodiSue View Post

I have a 4 week old, so I can't really contribute to what a good day looks like because I'm still getting my feet under me. But this made me wonder about something.

You have three that you didn't get to check in with for a day. What does it look like when you do check in with them? Do you have an idea or you know that they have been doing their work all day and completed it at some point, or?

I'm finding that baby +1st grader are making it so I can't check in as often with my older two right as often as I would like. Some days this goes fine and they do their work because they want to get to their free time or whatever else is going on in the neighborhood. Actually, I'm still pretty on top of my 5th grader because he's always needed it, so it's really the 7th grader that is taking a turn for the worst. Some days, and with increasingly more frequency, I'm finding that not checking in *regularly* or having him in my line of sight is resulting in work not getting done (for example, sitting for an hour with a workbook & textbook out while drawing, etc.) or doing poor work (writing single word or sloppy answers). This is resulting in me coming to check in and being...displeased. And it is resulting in really long school days which feel like a punishment for all of us. And of course I feel like an ogre when I make him redo things or work late because he does have a lot of work that is difficult. Obviously I'm still postpartum and we have Dad going out of town for long stretches so things seem heavier on my shoulders than normal, but I really do have a sense of things going not well when I can't check in for a day, or even for the morning. Up until this year, I've had mostly success with this person wanting to get their work done well because they want their own time. Now, not so much and the only thing that has changed is the kids' ages. But it is middle school and 12yo and a lot of physical changes going on.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm just feeling like I need some advice on how to deal with this "not able to check in" concept because it's causing some real strife here where it hasn't before. Maybe it needs a new thread?
                      We had a few rounds of this in 7th-going-into 8th grade. I have always worked and volunteered, so even though dd is my last one at home, not being able to always check in and handing off more independence was bumpy. Some preemptive conversations about what needs to happen, bringing dad into it, and unfortunately, some very long Saturdays of re-doing work is how we got through.
                      Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

It's really nice to hear that everyone else is not getting everything done this week too! I haven't even checked the board for days because we had one dental surgery this week, one regular appointment for dental work, and one major medical appointment. And tomorrow two therapy appointments! Today was my first day this week to do anything with my younger kids. Olders have been plugging along most days on their own--just checked in with my 12 yo today after a few days and still need to sit down with my high schooler.
                        Catherine

2019-20
                        DS16, 10th
                        DS13, 7th
                        DS11, 6th
                        DD11, 6th
                        DS7, 1st
                        DD4, JrK
                        DS 17 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
                        2 in classical school

Comment

We decided to have my current 7th grader take her most important courses through MPOA this year (Pre-Alg, Latin, Comp), to derail the 7th grade-itis disease before it had a chance to take over . So far it’s working, and if that’s all she accomplishes some weeks due to life craziness, I am satisfied!

My son, incredibly bright, now a sophomore..REALLY struggled in 7,8, and most of 9 with producing quality work (exception being MPOA classes) unless I stayed on top of him every single day, through every single subject. And I still have to keep him moving throughout the day and meet with him for at least Math and Latin daily. He is a wonderful, sweet guy..doesn’t blatantly resist..there are just too many grand ideas floating around in his head and school seems to get in the way of that
                          Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
                          DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
                          DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
                          DD 9: 4th using 3A
                          Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

Thank you all for sharing your stories this week. Our week continued much like Monday, so it was actually really nice to be thinking of y'all this week. It is always good to be reminded that everyone else deals with unexpected events that come along in their lives just like we have to!

We still have a little guy recovering from his first bad cold - isn't that the worst? Makes the whole day/week full of that knot in your stomach - "when will this tiny little person be all better?" Ugh. Ups and downs, all the time.

We look like we will be out of the icebox today, for a little while at least, and I hope anyone else who has been in there with us gets a chance to thaw out a little bit. And to all who have been plugging along faithfully, keep it up! One more week to go before some holiday hoopla fun (and extra sleep for all, hopefully!)

(Jodi - I am not missing your question...going to head over to Jen's thread to answer it there. You have totally great/timely/appropriate questions!)

AMDG,
                            Sarah
                            2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                            DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                            DS, 16
                            DD, 14
                            DD, 12
                            DD, 10
                            DD, 7.5
                            DD, 5.5
                            +DS+
                            DS, 18 months

Comment

I am recovering from a bad cold and my husband was on vacation this past week, so we did not do much at all...I knew this would happen, so I just planned to pick up again on Monday...Who needs a break in the summer? 😉

Stay tuned for my "good day" next week 😊
                              Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                              DS -19 (9/4/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
                              DS -15 (9/9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
                              DS -13 (7/3/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

Working...
                              X