Science After Tiner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science After Tiner

I am just making sure the pdf I have is still accurate. For kids who are starting Pre-Alg and have finished ALL of Tiner's books (even without the guides), the recommendation is Novare Earth Science, correct?
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

We went with Novare Physical Science.
    Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
    DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
    DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Hello.

At HLS, we never do earth science because we just can't work it in. Our students do Physical Science in 8th grade and then biology, chemistry, physics, and finally, an AP science or Anatomy & Physiology.

This may be too much information! Definitely more than you asked for!

Tanya

Comment

Let your goals for the student guide you. A good high school sequence is Introductory Physics (9th), Biology (10th), Chemistry (11th), Anatomy and Physiology OR Advanced Physics (12th). If you have time to add Physical Science (8th) and Earth Science (7th), then you can add them.
        Introductory Physics requires algebra concurrently, so if your 9th grader is taking pre-algebra, then the sequence changes to:
        Physical Science (9th) w/pre-algebra
        Introductory Physics (10th) w/algebra1
        Biology (11th) w/ algebra2
        Chemistry (12th) w/geometry

Hope this helps!
        Cindy Davis
        Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
        ds-25 college graduate: autodidact, working to pay the bills
        ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
        dd-21 college senior: Nursing

Comment

Can anyone make a suggestion for me? My son will be in 8th grade and have completed algebra I and half of algebra 2. He is doing novare physical science at home with me.
          Cathy aka The Attached Mama
          2019-2020
          DS 12, 7th Grade
          DD 11, 6th Grade
          DS 5, K

Comment

My son really enjoyed the earth science book, but he is really into rocks. I would say Intro to Physics or ASPC if you are looking at the Novare advanced track. I have not seen MP plans for any of them, so it depends on your comfort level teaching science. I wasn’t in love with ASPC, but it did the job. It was revised shortly after I purchased it so I can’t speak directly to the new edition. My daughter completed the physics portion and a bit of the chemistry.
            Dorinda

For 2019-2020
            DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
            DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
            DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
            DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by TheAttachedMama View Post
              Can anyone make a suggestion for me? My son will be in 8th grade and have completed algebra I and half of algebra 2. He is doing novare physical science at home with me.
              Earth Science if you haven’t done it. Otherwise you have an excellent opportunity to get a year ahead in science which allows for BOTH trig based physics AND either anatomy or an AP/community college science for college credit.
              he could easily do Introductory Physics followed by biology, chemistry, trig based physics (No are’s is called Physics Modeling Nature), then college credit class of choice.
              alternatively, since he seems to be advanced in math I assume he can handle advanced science. In that case you could do Advanced Concepts in Chemistry and Physics (which similar to IP above but with extra intro chemistry chapters), biology, advanced chemistry, trig physics, then college credit science of choice.
              Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
              DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
              DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
              DS, 21, chemistry major
              DS, 18, Physics major
              DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
              DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
              DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                My son really enjoyed the earth science book, but he is really into rocks. I would say Intro to Physics or ASPC if you are looking at the Novare advanced track. I have not seen MP plans for any of them, so it depends on your comfort level teaching science. I wasn’t in love with ASPC, but it did the job. It was revised shortly after I purchased it so I can’t speak directly to the new edition. My daughter completed the physics portion and a bit of the chemistry.
                My comfort level isn't very high! I was going to ask what resources MP had for teaching Novare at home. My older guys never did formal science at home.

If it matters, we are using Saxon Math.

What is ASPC?
                Last edited by Enigma; 11-12-2019, 12:42 AM.
                The Homeschool Grads:
                J- 6/96
                S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                G- 4/04
                D- 5/05
                F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                M- 9/16

Comment

ASPC is Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry which is the advanced book momgineer mentioned. Cathy mentioned that her 7th grader is already halfway through algebra2 so he seemed liked a possible fit. MP has lesson plans for physical science, but nothing else yet that I am aware of. Novare has a resource cd with quizzes, sample answers to book questions, and a schedule, but it is not an easy open and go program with a MP study guide.
                  Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                  DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                  DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                  DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                  DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Just a quick question so I can get this straight in my brain:

My 7th grader is doing Algebra I this year + Earth Science with MPOA. My plan was to do Novare Physical Science next year, probably he will be finishing up Algebra I, moving into Alg II (provided this year isn't too difficult for him and we need to spend more time on Algebra I). Would ASPC be a switch out for the Novare Physical Science text in 8th then if the student seems to be good with math and science?
                    Jodi
                    ~~~~~~~
                    2019-20 School Year:
                    Ethan (7A)
                    Matthew (5A)
                    Silas (1st)
                    Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                    Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Originally posted by JodiSue View Post
                      Just a quick question so I can get this straight in my brain:

My 7th grader is doing Algebra I this year + Earth Science with MPOA. My plan was to do Novare Physical Science next year, probably he will be finishing up Algebra I, moving into Alg II (provided this year isn't too difficult for him and we need to spend more time on Algebra I). Would ASPC be a switch out for the Novare Physical Science text in 8th then if the student seems to be good with math and science?
                      Yes, but not really. ASPC is the advanced version of Introductory Physics not Physical Science. But a student who has completed algebra 1 should be able to handle IP and/or ASPC just fine. This is exactly what i plan to do with my 7th grader who is taking algebra 1 this year. Next year in 8th, he will do either IP (which I own from his sister) or ASPC (which I would have to buy if i can justify the expense). Then in high school he will do biology, chemistry, trig physics, and a college science (probably chemistry).
                      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                      DS, 21, chemistry major
                      DS, 18, Physics major
                      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
                      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post

Yes, but not really. ASPC is the advanced version of Introductory Physics not Physical Science. But a student who has completed algebra 1 should be able to handle IP and/or ASPC just fine. This is exactly what i plan to do with my 7th grader who is taking algebra 1 this year. Next year in 8th, he will do either IP (which I own from his sister) or ASPC (which I would have to buy if i can justify the expense). Then in high school he will do biology, chemistry, trig physics, and a college science (probably chemistry).
                        Okay, this is helpful. I think I was confused because the Novare website describes it as a Physical Science text, but your description helps clarify a lot, as does your plan for your kiddo. Thanks!!
                        Jodi
                        ~~~~~~~
                        2019-20 School Year:
                        Ethan (7A)
                        Matthew (5A)
                        Silas (1st)
                        Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                        Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

How are you guys handling the labs? I'm very intimidated by his insistence that the expensive and complicated labs NEED to be done. I have a 3 yr old. No labs are happening here that involve elaborate setups, chemicals, cutting up dead things, etc..
                          The Homeschool Grads:
                          J- 6/96
                          S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                          G- 4/04
                          D- 5/05
                          F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                          M- 9/16

Comment

We did our own labs. His labs for ASPC are better suited for a group. We did used the Novare Lab Report Hand book for lab-report writing. We also did ASPC before the revision and didn't care for it.
                            Last edited by bean; 11-14-2019, 05:56 AM.
                            Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Working...
                            X