Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ks) vs. K (Core Skills Phonics)

Hello,
    I have children in both K and Junior K this year, and as I look at the Alphabet Books One and Two, they look similar in scope to Core Skills Phonics K / 1 that are used in the K curriculum, until the long / short vowel sound sections in Core Skills 1. They both cover letter identification and sounds, tracing / writing letters, identifying the letters in a word / coloring page, starting sounds and ending sounds.

This is my second child doing Memoria's K, but we've never done the Junior K before. I'm curious how much the phonics material overlaps? If the Junior K student completes the Alphabet Book sequence, are they still expected to start at the beginning of FSR A the next year? Would the Alphabet Book series be an okay substitute for the Core Skills Phonics assignments? (I really prefer the layout, page thickness, etc). Thanks!

Julie

Julie,

There is quite a bit of review at every level of the phonics program. This is by design. Students completing the Jr. K materials are expected to then continue through the First Start Reading Series with Core Skills materials. In my classes students who had worked through the Jr. K materials had better penmanship and knew most of their letter sounds. So the added blending/reading component of FSR was their main focus for the lessons. Students need that review and practice. When teaching FSR the student should be closely watched to be sure correct letter formation is used. Those pages are the instruction pages. The Core Skills pages are used as more independent follow-up work. So, if we introduced the letter p in FSR on Monday we would incorporate one page from Core Skills where they color pictures with the same sound thus reinforcing the letter/sound concept. However the next day we would complete a Core Skills page in which the student practices letter formation as well as colors pictures with the letter sound. These can be independently done if student displayed good formation the day before. If the student needed more oversight that can be accomplished with these pages as well. For this reason, I hesitate to use substitute the Alphabet Books for Core Skills though if the child did not complete these pages in Jr. K they could be used. The Core Skill pages can be torn out and used a page at a time if your child doesn't like writing in the book.
    Last edited by Michelle T; 11-07-2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Michelle,
      Thank you, that helps - I was worried I was missing something (or intentionally having them do something twice).

Julie

Comment

Working...
      X